Kieran Tierney

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by bingobob, May 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WhatAFC

WhatAFC Well-Known Member

The last time a team other than Celtic or rangers won the league was nearly 35 years ago. In that same period there have been 9 different winners of the EPL.

Using a single season that a team got 100 points is just an awful argument. We won the league unbeaten, does that all of a sudden make the league one sided?

No one is saying the EPL isn’t flawed, just that the SPL is a poor standard of football with little to no real competitiveness.

2. Mark Tobias

Mark Tobias Mr. Agreeable

That isn't what he is saying. He isn't using a single out of context example (like LCFC would be). He is saying the EPL is becoming a one horse race and if you look at City's squad then you can't deny that. Unless of course you do not understand this sport at all. The 100 points was a symptom he is listing here. It WAS almost achieved twice within a very short space of time.

City are very definitely stronger than everyone else.

bingobob likes this.
  3. WhatAFC

WhatAFC Well-Known Member

They won the league by a single point last season. How are they definitely stronger than everyone else?

If you think the league is becoming a 1 horse race with only city winning the league then it is you who does not understand the sport at all.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
    Ricardinho likes this.
  4. bingobob

bingobob Fan of Technicians Who Show Great Character

I agree. But the EPL has and still remains a two horse race.

United Blackburn
    United Arsenal
    United Chelsea
    United City
    City Chelsea
    City Liverpool.

La liga has been won by 3 teams other than Real or Barcelona in the last 18 years. The german league 6 other winners than Bayern in 18 years.

Football has become almost universally dominated by one or two teams domestically. The influx of modern money helps that where most money goes to the top teams who in turn qualify for the CL which reinforces the status quo. Celtic and Rangers have stadiums three times and twice as big as Abereen. The SPFL tv deal is awful (thanks Sky) but then Celtic get 20m for CL qualification. Financially because of stadium size, CL or European revenue, sponsorship revenue due to size and exposure they blow evey other team in Scotland away. But like ourselves and United that has been done through hard work and not money being handed to them. It handicaps Scottish teams but thats not the fault of Celtic.

In context the top 4 in England, Spain, Italy and Germany get auto CL qualification extra money and have stadiums in comparison of relative size. The European system hands those teams an advantage it does not hand Scottish teams. If the top 4 in Scotland got auto qualification even to the Europa league the gap would be bridged and there may be an odd winner as we see elsewhere.

The other difference with the EPL is foreign money lifted Chelsea and City, without that the EPL would have been a duopoly between Arsenal and United.

So yes the SPFL isnt as good as EPL. But it has issues with competition albeit in a different manner and those issues would be worse if it wasnt for oil money.

IrishKookaburra and morpho like this.
  5. bingobob

Anyway, Tierney medical today. Lets hope he passes it :)

Iceman10 likes this.
  6. Iceman10

Iceman10 Well-Known Member

7. Tosker

Tosker Hates Foreigners

I hope we show our usual class with the announcement - this lad has been Celtic all his life, and pulling on another shirt is bound to bring on mixed emotions for him

8. PoleInGoal

PoleInGoal Well-Known Member

I hope the Video Shows him shredding printouts of @Hooplehead's posts

9. bingobob

I have to admit this gave me butterflies. Cant wait for the announcement and itll be done in the right way unlike that Koscielny video.

Camron likes this.
  10. Hooplehead

Hooplehead Active Member

September has always been the target, he's not far away from full training.

ItWasMeBarry and Rex Banter like this.
  11. Dutch D

Dutch D Well-Known Member

Making an excel sheet of all incomings and outgoings this summer. Anything known about the structure of the deal? 20+5 addons?

12. tap-in

tap-in Nothing Wrong With Me

I bet we sell Iwobi and break even. Only at Arsenal! :lol:

13. avalonhse

avalonhse Well-Known Member

If Sp**s have Sessegnon, which is closer to reality now, the comparison between Tierney and Sessegnon is unavoidable.

14. Enz__

Enz__ Anti Antique Abuse

And also the advantage of actually being a far better LB. There will be no comparisons.

15. Hooplehead

Hooplehead Active Member

£22m up front, £5m guaranteed add ons, £3m performance related add ons and a 10% sell on clause.

16. THunter

THunter NOT In A Caravan Trusted

According to your invisible friend.

razörist, say yes, lufere7 and 7 others like this.
  17. Vinci

Vinci The Sultan of Unai

No one cares about some silly add ons anyway. We got money to burn, motherf*ckers.

18. bingobob

Not the worst thing. Liverpools big spending went on the back of a big sale. Thats how clubs outside City and PSG work.

Itll be interesting to see Real and Barcelonas netspend come the end of their window.

19. Hooplehead

Hooplehead Active Member

Hearing that the deal still isn't actually finalized, KT has been allowed to go for a medical and discuss terms but Arsenal still haven't agreed to Celtic's sell on clause and unless they do the deal will be off.

Been told that the sell on is for 25% :eek:....

20. field442

field442 Hates Journalists Named James

Do one you boring ****.

Nicenho likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.