• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Lets rate our 2021 summer transfer window.

How do you rate our transfer business this summer?

• Total voters

blrgooner

Established Member
6.5 for me.
Positives
1) We have signed a good bunch of young players who can help us get some sort of stability in future.
2) While we have been signing big in the past years, I think we have lacked a vision. People think we have been signing too many CB`s now which is true. We were signing too many forwards in the past 4-5 years though. I think adding lots of strikers to the team doesn`t necessarily improve our goal scoring ability and that I think is the reason we have struggled. While I don`t think we have fixed our issues completely, atleast we didn`t go big on another striker and have instead attempted to fix the spine of the team.
3) We have managed to get rid of Willian without paying for it.
4) I know it looks like we have spent a lot while having a team similar to the the one we ended the season with but we ended the season with 2 on loan players and had to spend 50m to just come back to the same place we were in. I think that was a failure for last seasons transfer window(Which was way worse than this season IMO) though and not this year.

Cons
1) We still haven`t brought in anyone in the position we were weakest at last season(Midfield)
2) Most of the players we have brought in may need time and may not help us improve too much this season
3) 8 players out on loan? Our business w.r.t outgoings have been ridiculously poor.
4) Lack of clarity and delay in signings has ensured that we have started our season very poorly
5) We have overpaid for White and Ramsdale to some extent.
6) We should have sorted out the futures of Eddie and AMN long before. Can`t believe we are still paying Kola`s wages too. Still lots of deadwood in the team and i don`t think we did enough to clear the deadwood this season.

Coolin

Doesn't appreciate the mighty Nacho
3/10.

If you judge it solely on the players we’ve brought you could give it a 4 or 5. But relative to what everyone else has done, this has been a dreadful window for us.

leo9903

Transfer is good, we fixed what we can with what we had IMO. People are pessimistic because we've lost the first 3 games. It's the non functioning plunger we have on top that's the problem, less so the players.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Sometimes you think Arteta is making his job harder for himself than it needs to be.

I think White will be a good signing over time but imagine if we instead integrated Saliba this year, accepted the low bid from Roma for Xhaka and then went out and spent £60m on a high level CM instead of buying Ben.

Automatically pushes the window up from a 4-5 to at least a 7.

Mraven

Topping the net spend of PL clubs despite Edus £195m clearout! At least we significantly improved on the starting XI!

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
For me it's good business, but risky business ( 😏 )

Good because they're all young and should get better, law of averages suggests one or two will go on to be top quality.

Risky because we've essentially taken a massive gamble on our experienced players performing better than last year. Leno, Xhaka, Partey, Pepe, Auba and Laca, for me those are our seniors players. They need to step up, be available every week and perform.

If that group of 6 senior players goes missing then it's going to be a very rough ride this season.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
I think a lot of the problem with this window is not knowing if the players bought will start. If Ramsdale, Lokonga, White and Tomiyasu play the next 3 games and we win them all well the window starts to look a bit better. For me I need to see all of them (not including Tavares) in the team. Xhaka shouldn’t be starting anymore and Leno should be benched if we’ve just signed someone for £30m in the same position.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I gave it a 1.

The only major player they brought in to improve the starting 11 was White. But you ask yourself, at this time is white better than Saliba or Luiz? The answer is no. We didn't need white, he's too weak and he's going to get bullied a lot this season by the likes of Ashley Barnes and Lukaku.

Lokonga is not supposed to starting games for us. He's supposed to be developed.

We didn't actually need Ramsdale. You don't pay 30m for a back GK. You pay that amount for a starting goalie.

Tavares is not a starter I'm this team. He's a back up.

Tomiyasu is a newcastle-level player. I watched him a few times, he's basically midtable. He's a back up player at best.

What we needed this window was to strengthen three position.

AM, RB and CM. With 145m, even an idiot should be able to sign 3 quality players for that amount.

Edu and Arteta essentially just told us that the best we can hope for is midtable with these signings. We're ****ed. Our biggest summer window ever and we just ****ed it up.

I hope now the Arteta shills can now stop crying about the 2016 Mustafi window. The club have their boy almost 150m and he blew it mostly on dross.

Added the fact that the deadwood they promised that they'll shift this summer, most of them are still here. So 1/10 it is.

I gave it 1 because of Ødegaard and Lokonga because I like both of them. They'll come good in a couple of years.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
I think a lot of the problem with this window is not knowing if the players bought will start. If Ramsdale, Lokonga, White and Tomiyasu play the next 3 games and we win them all well the window starts to look a bit better. For me I need to see all of them (not including Tavares) in the team. Xhaka shouldn’t be starting anymore and Leno should be benched if we’ve just signed someone for £30m in the same position.
Think you've got to introduce them gradually with so many new additions. That's going to be frustrating for fans but we already look disjointed. White's obviously a starter, I think Ramsdale might be by the second half of the season and Lokonga is going to be a backup who gets plenty of game time.

db10fan

Pro'sCons
Managed to buy a young starting RBOnly (temporarily) got rid of 1 of 3 inadequate RB's
Managed to get a back-up GKSpent way too much on the back-up GK
Improved at CB with a young promising signingSpent 50m on the improvement instead of fixing it internally whilst saving money for other needs
Got a young promising back-up CM in for a decent sumFailed to buy a (marquee) starter CM to partner with Partey
Managed to buy a creative CM for a decent priceFailed to sell Xhaka while haggling over 1-2m and subsequently bumpered his contract that was already making him unsellable (!)
Bought a back-up LB for a small-ish sumFailed to get a fee for Nketiah who is now walking out the door for free by haggling too long (!)
Managed to get rid of Willian without buying out his contract (a first for Edu)Failed to get a fee for all of our players bar a record setting HG midfielder
Now short in midfield whilst selling a talented CM
Absolutely atrocious handling of AMN on a human and business level (let's hope he can now slot in a midfield position)
Elneny is still here
Kolasinac is still here
Chambers is still here (and walking out the door for free)
Soares is still here
Lacazette is still here (and walking out the door for free)
Arteta and Edu still here (!)

I'm hopeful our signings will actually strengthen the team once we get a proper manager in, which just barely makes it a passing grade for me, despite the fact that our outgoing business has been dreadful whilst the likes of Chelsea, ManU etc. are picking up massive fees for nobodies and we can't get 30m for Willock.
Top post, mostly agree with this.
Tavares, Lokonga, Ødegaard and Tomi are all good buys, all young, talented, at fair price, all for positions we need to improve.
White is overpriced and not needed as we have Saliba thats equally talented, should have sold Holding or Chambers while keeping Saliba with White.
Ramsdale is massively overpriced if he is a no 2 GK whowill play only few games, should have get veteran GK on a free transfer for no 2 GK, or sell Leno if Ramsdale is going to be no 1 GK.
Money spend on White and Ramsdale could buy an elite CM which is our biggest weakness, and if this season we fail to get to Europe next year we wont afford to buy elite CM and CF as the money is already splurged on White and Ramsdale.
Fails to sell the deadwoods while selling the only goalscoring CM we have when our team struggle to score. Why haggle for players that other clubs know as unwanted here? Should have taken highest offers for the deadwood instead of loaning them and paying part of their salaries and some of their contracts will expire next year.
Fails to loan Martinelli and Balogun which need to play regularly.
Extending Xhaka's contract so he can screw us more.
Edteta still here.
It's 5/10 for me.

Kobi

I Know Who You Are
I like Ødegaard so I'll be generous and say 1, although if you're factoring in Xhaka then it goes into the minuses.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I think people are being harsh on the incomings, I think they're good. It's the outgoings that are the problem.

It’s hard to swallow that we’re going to be **** for one or two more years.

I like each player coming in though and hopefully will be the core of future successes.

db10fan

I think the biggest positive is Arteta now must make the team performs no excuses as he has been backed. Surely he will be sacked by Leicester game in October 30th at the latest if we are not top 6-7 by then, although I want him judged earlier by the Brighton game at October 2nd, 4 EPL games Norwich (H), Burnley (A), Sp**s (H), and Brighton (A) are enough for me as Arteta's last chances.

Beksl

Sell All The Youngsters
Considering the players we brought in, we should really be playing 3-4-3. Something like:

lineup.png
You have a decent bench with Pepe, Martinelli, AMN, Chambers, Sambi.

Tom Mix

The window is drawing to a close it looks like we're done, bar some surprise outgoing to the turkish league.

We've spent more than anyone else in Europe and well... not much was really upgraded? Here's the ins and outs so far:

In:
Nuno Tavares - £8m
Albert Sambi Lokonga - £15m
Ben White - £50m
Martin Ødegaard - £30m
Aaron Ramsdale - £24m
Takehiro Tomiyasu - £16

Total: £143,000,000

Out:
Trae Coyle - Free
Zech Medley - Free
Mark McGuinness - Free
Dinos Mavropanos - £500k loan fee; £3m loan obligation if Stuttgart stay up, option if relegated
Daniel Ballard - Loan
Ben Sheaf - £750k
Daniel Okegoke - Free
Matt Smith - Loan
Matteo Guendouzi - Loan with obligation to buy
William Saliba - Loan
Nikolaj Moller - Loan
Deyan Iliev - Loan
Tyreece John-Jules - Loan
Harry Clarke - Loan
Tom Smith - Loan
Tolaji Bola - Undisclosed fee
Jordi Osei-Totu - Loan
Joe Willock - £25m
Lucas Torreira - Loan
Miguel Azeez - Loan
Willian - Mutual Consent
Reiss Nelson - Loan
Runnarsson the Gunnarsson - Loan

Total: £26,250,000
Tomayiso looks a steal at sixteen quid.

Tsl

Topping the net spend of PL clubs despite Edus £195m clearout! At least we significantly improved on the starting XI!
If someone told us before the transfer window, that Arsenal would spend more than Manchester United, who brought Sancho, Varane and Ronaldo to the club, we would be absolutely buzzing :lol: Still they haven't managed to improve the starting eleven, shambles

Arsenal Quotes

Nobody has enough talent to live on talent alone. Even when you have talent, a life without work goes nowhere

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom