• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Martin Ødegaard: El Capitanø

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Ode was a bit sub par last night and at times, it was hard for the team to get any rhythm. I'd have liked to see Vieira as he is more creative and technical and last night was our first big miss of Jesus. Cesc had Hleb, Rosicky,Nasri and Henry to feed for a year. The technical level of that midfield was insane and Ode doesn't have those partnerships.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
This is why I prefer Wengerball with intensity over this positional play. Even Peps teams struggle to create chances sometimes.

Wished Arsenal returned to this fluid style that made us big in Europe.
Wengerball was the best I've ever seen Arsenal play. Awesome with real dominance in possession. However, I remember teams parking the bus against those teams and whilst we always created chances, there were more than a few times that we simply couldn't find a way through and sometimes lost due to overcommitting. A reliable rounded striker and a bit more craft in midfield might have unlocked this Newcastle side

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
If you don't think Ødegaard has freedom you don't understand football at all.
I think there's a big difference between the freedom Wenger engineered for Cesc and the defensive responsibility Ode and the entire team seem to have. The two can't be compared because this team can't match the Cesc era for ball possession and until they come close and we have a top scorer, this will be a problem to overcome.

TriniGunner

Wengerball was the best I've ever seen Arsenal play. Awesome with real dominance in possession. However, I remember teams parking the bus against those teams and whilst we always created chances, there were more than a few times that we simply couldn't find a way through and sometimes lost due to overcommitting. A reliable rounded striker and a bit more craft in midfield might have unlocked this Newcastle side
As a coach, these are the games where we rely on the individual quality of certain players to get you through a tough game. Football is like that sometimes and no matter how great you're playing, you just won't find the finishing touch as a team to score. This is where Wenger had players like Henry, Bergkamp, Pires, etc, to pull the team out of the funk. Unfortunately, Arteta doesn't have the depth in that kind of quality. We dominated the game and didn't score. It happens, we didn't lose, we move on!

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
As a coach, these are the games where we rely on the individual quality of certain players to get you through a tough game. Football is like that sometimes and no matter how great you're playing, you just won't find the finishing touch as a team to score. This is where Wenger had players like Henry, Bergkamp, Pires, etc, to pull the team out of the funk. Unfortunately, Arteta doesn't have the depth in that kind of quality. We dominated the game and didn't score. It happens, we didn't lose, we move on!
Agree and even with those greats, we sometimes came up short. It happens. We just need to try and reduce the amount of times it might happen

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
I think there's a big difference between the freedom Wenger engineered for Cesc and the defensive responsibility Ode and the entire team seem to have. The two can't be compared because this team can't match the Cesc era for ball possession and until they come close and we have a top scorer, this will be a problem to overcome.
Cesc was more of a box to box player than Ødegaard is though. With the exception of a couple of seasons where he played almost like second striker because that's what the team needed, he was covering every blade of grass for us. Interestingly with more freedom came more responsibility. Cesc had a far greater burden on him in terms of how reliant the team was on him for success than Ødegaard. If Cesc didn't play well, we didn't win. It was that simple. Ødegaard can play poorly and we can still get results. He's had less than stellar games this season that we've still won comfortably.

Cesc had to actually lead a far less talented team. Arteta and Xhaka lead this team and when something really needs to happen it's usually Saka who makes it happen. This is not to belittle Ødegaard, he's a wonderful player but there are levels and he's got a long way to go before he matches the quality or especially the consistency of a player like Fabregas. If 23 year old Fabregas played Ødegaard's role right now, we would likely have 17 wins. Cesc was dragging Denilson, Bendtner and the RVP who could only stay fit for half a season to CL places. There's no comparison between them as players. There's virtually nothing Ødegaard does as well as Cesc did on either side of the ball and that's a function of their respective abilities, not a perceived lack of freedom. Ødegaard has less on his plate because of his more defined role and a lack of execution is not the system's fault, it's his.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Cesc was more of a box to box player than Ødegaard is though. With the exception of a couple of seasons where he played almost like second striker because that's what the team needed, he was covering every blade of grass for us. Interestingly with more freedom came more responsibility. Cesc had a far greater burden on him in terms of how reliant the team was on him for success than Ødegaard. If Cesc didn't play well, we didn't win. It was that simple. Ødegaard can play poorly and we can still get results. He's had less than stellar games this season that we've still won comfortably.

Cesc had to actually lead a far less talented team. Arteta and Xhaka lead this team and when something really needs to happen it's usually Saka who makes it happen. This is not to belittle Ødegaard, he's a wonderful player but there are levels and he's got a long way to go before he matches the quality or especially the consistency of a player like Fabregas. If 23 year old Fabregas played Ødegaard's role right now, we would likely have 17 wins. Cesc was dragging Denilson, Bendtner and the RVP who could only stay fit for half a season to CL places. There's no comparison between them as players. There's virtually nothing Ødegaard does as well as Cesc did on either side of the ball and that's a function of their respective abilities, not a perceived lack of freedom. Ødegaard has less on his plate because of his more defined role and a lack of execution is not the system's fault, it's his.
I hear you and I feel Cesc and Wenger were the perfect match at the perfect time. Wenger's teams were a reflection of him- total football. This team reflects Arteta and current Pep-some flair but a lot of control. Cesc as a creator is our best ever and Ode in a more defined role isn't allowed to showcase his best attributes. He's equal parts Flamini and Cesc atm but put Nasri or Rosicky next to him and he'd be better. As "bad" as some of Cesc's team mates were, they were still better than some playing out of their skin now. Agree that Ode should be able to take the game by the scruff of the neck more and drag the team along. His failure to do so is maybe due to a lack of personality and dressing room politics. We may never have another Cesc but if we did, I feel he might fail the beep test atm anyway.

MaraDon

Wants you to learn about football
The crazy part is that we stil have 5 years till he peaks.

Glorious player, if avoids injuries we will be talking about him in the same terms we talk about De Bruyne or Valverde today.

MaraDon

Wants you to learn about football
Cesc played in a team far less talented than this and those games where he was a bit off the boil were usually against massive sides that we were outmatched against. He certainly did not have games like this at the same rate that Ødegaard does.
Confused Excuse Me GIF by GIPHY News

db10_therza

🎵 Edu getting rickrolled 🎵
Trusted ⭐

Player:White
This is why I prefer Wengerball with intensity over this positional play. Even Peps teams struggle to create chances sometimes.

Wished Arsenal returned to this fluid style that made us big in Europe.
It’s a nice idea, but “intensity” without a defined system is just a bunch of headless chickens running around…

db10_therza

🎵 Edu getting rickrolled 🎵
Trusted ⭐

Player:White
He didnt say thats what he want.

It’s implied… the beauty of Wengerball derived from the freedom given to the players to weave their magic. I assume by “intensity” he means pressing, and that just doesn’t work in this “fluid system”. I wasn’t around here then (thank God) but I imagine every man and their dog around here would lose their **** whenever Sanchez was showing “intensity”…

If you want to press effectively you need a rigid system. This really shouldn’t need to be spelled out on a football forum…

I’m not saying a rigid system is better/more aesthetically pleasing than a fluid one. Just pointing out a very key difference…

Goonerist

But that’s the reason we had become so predictable and could hardly beat any Top teams in the EPL or CL.
I loved that Ceac era team. I can relate to them a lot. I just enjoyed watching them play football. Amazing team.
But looking back I do think that wenger was negligent to that team. No tactical awareness, very predictable, easy to score against, easily bullied and rattled, intimidated, a very soft core etc.. I do now and again go back and rewatch some of our Cesc era matches and compared to todays standards I do think they would struggle due to not being street savvy.

I seriously look at our shape when attacking and my goodness how naive we used to be. You would see everyone including Alex song and fullbacks all in the opposition half and so much space behind. And this was always one of our 2 biggest problem. The 2 problems being (Easy to be counter attacked and the other being our Softness on setpieces and Corners.
United, Chelsea, constantly hitting us on the counter and on set pieces/ corners.

That 2007-2010 team was something else. Looking back it needed a bit of tough love, a bit of tactical training etc but Wenger had become to entrenched into his own bubble. When out of possession we looked so clueless.

If wenger had adapted a bit then we couls have won a few more trophies in that era. That team was so so close and all it needed was the manager teaching them how to not only be one dimensional. Pick and choose your moments kind of things. Know when to just keep possession, know when and how to protect a lead etc..

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
But that’s the reason we had become so predictable and could hardly beat any Top teams in the EPL or CL.
I loved that Ceac era team. I can relate to them a lot. I just enjoyed watching them play football. Amazing team.
But looking back I do think that wenger was negligent to that team. No tactical awareness, very predictable, easy to score against, easily bullied and rattled, intimidated, a very soft core etc.. I do now and again go back and rewatch some of our Cesc era matches and compared to todays standards I do think they would struggle due to not being street savvy.

I seriously look at our shape when attacking and my goodness how naive we used to be. You would see everyone including Alex song and fullbacks all in the opposition half and so much space behind. And this was always one of our 2 biggest problem. The 2 problems being (Easy to be counter attacked and the other being our Softness on setpieces and Corners.
United, Chelsea, constantly hitting us on the counter and on set pieces/ corners.

That 2007-2010 team was something else. Looking back it needed a bit of tough love, a bit of tactical training etc but Wenger had become to entrenched into his own bubble. When out of possession we looked so clueless.

If wenger had adapted a bit then we couls have won a few more trophies in that era. That team was so so close and all it needed was the manager teaching them how to not only be one dimensional. Pick and choose your moments kind of things. Know when to just keep possession, know when and how to protect a lead etc..
That team was up against the best ever united and Chelsea teams. It would have been a miracle to win the league at that time, coupled with the fact that the only time we could sustain a title challenge, our best striker got his leg snapped in half by a maniac.

Goonerist

Wengerball just mesmerised me. We did not win any trophies with that second team that wenger built but I was always satisfied with the beautiful stuff we always pulled. 🤩

Goonerist

That team was up against the best ever united and Chelsea teams. It would have been a miracle to win the league at that time, coupled with the fact that the only time we could sustain a title challenge, our best striker got his leg snapped in half by a maniac.
That’s all true but it was not good enough a reason to stop us from beating Birmingham in that Cup final. A reason enough to become more street savvy like all the other big team at that time. I even remember after United beat us in certain game, fergie during his post match interview was defending Wenger and Arsenal in a very pitiful manner. Same with when Bayern beat us badly, their manager was talking up wenger in a pitiful way. Even Pep did the same thing when Barcelona beat us.

Just listen to what Neville, Drogba, Rio, Evra, Carragher, Carragher etc keep saying about post Invincible Wenger teams, listen to what these for managers from the small teams like Blackburn, Stoke, Bolton, etc. they all say somewhat the same thing. I paraphrase: “We all knew what Arsenal were all about, Arsenal only played one way. All you had to do was not give them time and space, rush them, raffle and rough them a little bit from the start. That normally rattle them, then they would get back into their shells etc”.

Arsenal Quotes

When I am asked why I stayed at Arsenal so long.. my answer is simple; I never wanted to be anywhere else. I could have earned a lot more elsewhere, but that wouldn't compensate for all the good years at Highbury.

David O'Leary

Latest posts

Top Bottom