• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

✍️ OFFICIAL Martin Ødegaard

Who would you rather sign?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
I think when he slows play down, he attracts defenders, its not his fault our players aren't intelligent or hungry enough to make any off the ball runs into space.
I think its a two way thing, he has qualities none of our other players have and it takes time to build up understanding & wavelength with team mates
Im sure if he came back we will see development both from him & the players around him.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I don't see it. He played him in vs Brighton didn't he? And vs West Ham for the chance Pepe fluffed. They were building a good understanding. Pepe just needs to make more runs inbehind. Ødegaard will find him. The problem at the moment is Pepe doesn't make enough off the ball runs.
Pepe makes more runs in behind than anyone in our team. How many times did Ødegaard find him last season?

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
He also benefited when Chambers played at RB too when he was on the RW.

Yep, Bellerin removes all the positives of having Pepe on the pitch. So often its Bellerin who cuts in leaving Pepe stranded further forward. Chambers however, despite lack of pace, gets to the touch line allowing Pepe to cut in. Bellerin was the reason that some thought Pepe looked better on the LW.

Heavy Duty Rom

Outdated Tweets Merchant
I think its a two way thing, he has qualities none of our other players have and it takes time to build up understanding & wavelength with team mates
Im sure if he came back we will see development both from him & the players around him.
This is it, he'll make the players around him better, he'll make the team tick.

With Maddison, he might score more bangers, but i don't think he'd transform the way we attack. I also think Ødegaard is defensively better and certainly works harder.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Yep, Bellerin removes all the positives of having Pepe on the pitch. So often its Bellerin who cuts in leaving Pepe stranded further forward. Chambers however, despite lack of pace, gets to the touch line allowing Pepe to cut in. Bellerin was the reason that some thought Pepe looked better on the LW.
Are people completely forgetting last season?

Saka played on the right last season!

Pepe barely played for the first half of the season. He was slumming it out in the Europa league.

Then he played on the left hand side.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
He

With Maddison, he might score more bangers, but i don't think he'd transform the way we attack. I also think Ødegaard is defensively better and certainly works harder.
He looks like he works harder. As he closes down and never gets close enough to make a tackle. Therefore applying pressure. I would back Maddison to be better at winning the ball.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
You're the one who brought up Odegaards impact on Pepe?
I brought up the fact that he plays in the right half space. The right half space you want Pepe to run through and score from. The same right half space he can't run through because Ødegaard doesn't move wide and if he does, he is so one footed he can't get to the byline unlike ESR.

Then people are telling me Chambers overlaps down the right and that worked really well with Pepe. How? When Pepe played on the left. Saka on the right.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Are people completely forgetting last season?

Saka played on the right last season!

Pepe barely played for the first half of the season. He was slumming it out in the Europa league.

Then he played on the left hand side.

I'm not just talking about last season, Bellerin has held back Pepe since he joined.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I'm not just talking about last season, Bellerin has held back Pepe since he joined.
Yup. He has. Chambers overlapping frees up Pepe to move infield. However, he can't move infield if Ødegaard is standing in that right half space. Ødegaard doesn't make runs in behind. ESR does. Massive difference in their movement.

Heavy Duty Rom

Outdated Tweets Merchant
I brought up the fact that he plays in the right half space. The right half space you want Pepe to run through and score from. The same right half space he can't run through because Ødegaard doesn't move wide and if he does, he is so one footed he can't get to the byline unlike ESR.

Then people are telling me Chambers overlaps down the right and that worked really well with Pepe. How? When Pepe played on the left. Saka on the right.
They are talking about Pepes end to the season, when he looked in form, he played RW, with Chambers behind.

As for Ødegaard, we see him completely different and will never agree. He can get to the byline with skill and body feints. He's not as slow as Arsenal fans make out, again, i'd say he's on par with Maddison for pace.

Pepe can make runs if he wants, Ødegaard isn't getting in his way, its just Pepe doesn't make many intelligent off the ball runs.

Imo we should sign an 8 and a 10. I'd take both. Otherwise, its 6th, 7th or 8th again!

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Yup. He has. Chambers overlapping frees up Pepe to move infield. However, he can't move infield if Ødegaard is standing in that right half space. Ødegaard doesn't make runs in behind. ESR does. Massive difference in their movement.

If MO joins its up to Arteta to work on him drifting to the right, I agree he does that, he also reduces Saka's impact when he does. I still think MO would be a great signing and for the money I prefer him to Maddison. Re Pepe, he's not going to start regularly anyway, unless Arteta plays him as CF :) We know Saka will be RW and hopefully ESR LW with Auba CF.

Hi all, I'm Chris and I'm new here.

Ødegaard is rough, far too limited for a team looking to compete for the European spots. His profile is rather strong: his age; his reputation; his supposed 'creative' profile. But those six months he spent at Arsenal was poor in my opinion. Arsenal fans seem obsessed with this kid and I think I saw roughly 135 minutes of good football from him.
I think, quite frankly, that if he wasn't a shiny new toy arriving in from Real Madrid most Arsenal fans wouldn't want to know. He's physically inadequate, too one footed, poor under pressure, hugs the right flank - he provides us with both a lack of balance and a lack of penetration.

Ødegaard's potential Arsenal story will be a short and tragic one - he'll join, he'll flatter to deceive, he'll flick that left leg that people seem so obsessed with and he'll provide no venom against the big boys; come January, he'll be unpopular and we'll dread the sight of him.

In short, I don't want him and I'll be Arteta out if he signs for us and is inserted straight into the starting 11.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

The coach's role is to make the player understand everything that serves the interest of the game. To do this he must speak to the child within each player, to the adolescent he was and the adult he is now. Too often a coach tends only to speak to the adult, issuing commands for performance, for victory, for reflection, to the detriment of the child who is playing for pleasure, living in the present.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Daily Transfer Updates

Monday, May 3

Marco Silva is pushing the Fulham board to spend as Arsenal prepare to listen to offers for Emile Smith Rowe, among other fringe players [Evening Standard]

New Fenerbache manager Jose Mourinho is determined to stop Arsenal from signing LB Ferdi Kadıoğlu [TBR Football]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom