• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: Över and Öut

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Then allow me to rephrase it, we needed the kinda spending we see in the present day back then. I feel like Wenger was less than a handful of quality players away from winning something, even at the peak of Wenger Out.

I never at any moment felt that way ever about Mikel and what he's building now. Even when we were staring at the prem trophy in the face last season, to me it was only there mathematically. These man and their manager ain't got the juice.

At best I would say they have a chance at reaching CL final if they avoid all prem opposition.
Well yeah Wenger could attract/handle players like Özil and Sanchez. Guys who gave you that extra 1% that nobody in the current squad has.

You could always argue that Arsenal had genuine world class attacking players. Now look at these man

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

We were never winning a title with the amount of injuries regardless of who the striker was.

lol we would have moonwalked to lifting the PL with Luis Suarez 😂 let’s not act like that wouldn’t have happened.

Out of all of the players we missed out over the years, I think he was the player that hurt the most tbh. The 13/14 version Luis Suarez was different gravy and there are very few players in the PL era that have reached that level. What was it 31 goals and 17 assists in the PL during a single season? Ridiculous stuff.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Well yeah Wenger could attract/handle players like Özil and Sanchez. Guys who gave you that extra 1% that nobody in the current squad has.

You could always argue that Arsenal had genuine world class attacking players. Now look at these man

Wenger to his credit had a different kind of pull. From time he was having sit downs with teenage Ødegaard and Mbappe when Arsenal wasn't even a serious proposition at the time.

We were just missing financial doping really, but the Kroenke's legit watched us decline so they could buy up all the shares as cheap as possible instead. A shame we couldn't add to prime Özil and Sanchez (and Cazorla). For too long we've had one or two class attackers that dragged us to 4th.

GoonerJay24

Then allow me to rephrase it, we needed the kinda spending we see in the present day back then. I feel like Wenger was less than a handful of quality players away from winning something, even at the peak of Wenger Out.

I never at any moment felt that way ever about Mikel and what he's building now. Even when we were staring at the prem trophy in the face last season, to me it was only there mathematically.

At best I would say they have a chance at reaching CL final if they avoid all prem opposition, but in my heart of hearts these man and their manager ain't got the juice.

Wenger built squads to win consecutive titles between 2013-2016, but injuries were excessive. In 15/16, when Leicester won; we had Rosicky, Wilshere, Arteta out for the entire season. Cazorla also was out for 7 months. Coquelin and Ramsey too had fitness issues. The fact we finished 2nd, is credit to Wengers genius.

We had the players already, but unfortunately struggled with too many injuries. Admittedly, Wenger for being too loyal to certain players.

GoonerJay24

lol we would have moonwalked to lifting the PL with Luis Suarez 😂 let’s not act like that wouldn’t have happened.

Out of all of the players we missed out over the years, I think he was the player that hurt the most tbh. The 13/14 version Luis Suarez was different gravy and there are very few players in the PL era that have reached that level. What was it 31 goals and 17 assists in the PL during a single season? Ridiculous stuff.

Not sure, we had a lot of injuries in midfield that season and Wenger made some tactical mistakes, especially in big games. Suarez, different gravy though; top player!

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Also we had Griezmann wrapped up on deadline day that year but pulled the plug.He literally says it himself.

Guy finished 3rd in the Ballon d’Or for a few years there. Him and Özil with us would have been absolutely disgusting.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

Also we had Griezmann wrapped up on deadline day that year but pulled the plug.He literally says it himself.

Guy finished 3rd in the Ballon d’Or for a few years there. Him and Özil with us would have been absolutely disgusting.

Many years later and a 32 year old Griezmann would still be one of, if not our best player had he signed for the club 😂 I don’t think we’re getting players of that calibre anytime soon.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer

Peak Suarez will always be my pick for the most underrated players of all time tbh. Think there was a legitimate case for a while that he was the 2nd best forward in the world, behind Messi. Contributed so much more to the overall game than Ronaldo.

Bit reductive but he was basically Gabriel Jesus with clinical finishing and a bit more physicality to his game. Absolute monster.

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
Sorry but nope, he was actually a big part of why I was Wenger out.
One of rare red cards I give :lol:
Are you now enjoying the robotic sufferball that we're playing now with limitless spending. Karma and all that 😀

Walcott (mainly because of injuries), Ox, Iwobi, Welbeck weren't really starters they were in and out. Giroud held down that spot pretty much uncontested for 5 or something years probably even more, it was ridiculous.
He held down that spot because he was erm... better than the others, although that bar was still very low. And, unlike the rest, he was also fit like a horse :lol:
:applause:
See, once you rephrase it, it becomes a much better description of a part of the problem that Arsène had.

Edit: And it is a funny coincidence that just as I refreshed this page, here comes an Iconic Arsenal moment of that backheel goal.
You know the cross by Sanchez leading to the goal can be made by most of current players as well, but do we have a player that can finish like this? :lol:
1706858503757.png

Henry boi

Many years later and a 32 year old Griezmann would still be one of, if not our best player had he signed for the club 😂 I don’t think we’re getting players of that calibre anytime soon.
Why, you don't think we financially capable or, Rice we bought fighting off City for a huge sum literally last summer
I think Arsenal as long as they are competitive will always have a chance with players

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
Giroud was still the best of that bad bunch though 😀
He was the worst. Welbeck never should've been signed but barely played in comparison really, Walcott was limited but in his prime a useful player, Ox dogshit naturally but never really a starter and Iwobi was a kid.

Giroud came as a Ligue 1 winner and played like a massive ****ing donkey for years. In boxing some coaches rate fighters on how history would've turned out if they hadn't been around, like how Foreman could've become the 🐐 if Ali hadn't ruined him and so on. With Giroud I don't care if it was Suarez Higuain or anyone we'd have picked up a title in his time here, **** give Yaya Sanogo 250 games and he'd have got us closer to one than this donkey.

db10_therza

🎵 Edu getting rickrolled 🎵
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
One of rare red cards I give :lol:
Are you now enjoying the robotic sufferball that we're playing now with limitless spending. Karma and all that 😀

He held down that spot because he was erm... better than the others, although that bar was still very low. And, unlike the rest, he was also fit like a horse :lol:

:applause:
See, once you rephrase it, it becomes a much better description of a part of the problem that Arsène had.

Edit: And it is a funny coincidence that just as I refreshed this page, here comes an Iconic Arsenal moment of that backheel goal.
You know the cross by Sanchez leading to the goal can be made by most of current players as well, but do we have a player that can finish like this? :lol:
View attachment 21576

Giroud was capable of extraordinary moments no doubt and in his own way is a decent striker. But I'm with @Macho here - when you consider what that team needed up front and what we got, Giroud was basically the antichrist.

We had one of the greatest CAMs of his generation, someone who could effortlessly find you in space. Paired with a striker who did his best work in congested areas and was pretty much incapable of running into space (or just running full stop).

It's irrelevant really whether you think Giroud was good or not (I don't but stress on the was) - he was an awful fit for that team. Stick in an average striker with a burst of pace that liked playing off the shoulder and Özil would be occupying the first three slots of the most PL assists in a season chart.

Giroud's legacy here is warped by (a) his ability to score / assist the occasional wondergoal (b) certain posters here think he's buff and (c) the career he's had since. But the reality is he was not good for us, and we were not good for him either (hence point C).

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Wenger to his credit had a different kind of pull. From time he was having sit downs with teenage Ødegaard and Mbappe when Arsenal wasn't even a serious proposition at the time.

We were just missing financial doping really, but the Kroenke's legit watched us decline so they could buy up all the shares as cheap as possible instead. A shame we couldn't add to prime Özil and Sanchez (and Cazorla). For too long we've had one or two class attackers that dragged us to 4th.
Yeah we’d have won one comfortably imo with a Suarez or Griezmann.

But even if we didn’t get one of those, just being able to sign a really solid cast of good but not great players like Mikel has would have been enough imo.

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
Giroud was capable of extraordinary moments no doubt and in his own way is a decent striker. But I'm with @Macho here - when you consider what that team needed up front and what we got, Giroud was basically the antichrist.

We had one of the greatest CAMs of his generation, someone who could effortlessly find you in space. Paired with a striker who did his best work in congested areas and was pretty much incapable of running into space (or just running full stop).

It's irrelevant really whether you think Giroud was good or not (I don't but stress on the was) - he was an awful fit for that team. Stick in an average striker with a burst of pace that liked playing off the shoulder and Özil would be occupying the first three slots of the most PL assists in a season chart.

Giroud's legacy here is warped by (a) his ability to score / assist the occasional wondergoal (b) certain posters here think he's buff and (c) the career he's had since. But the reality is he was not good for us, and we were not good for him either (hence point C).

Well I said he was the best of the bad bunch.

Back then (when you were awol in A-M :) ) we all used to say that it is a shame that all of Özil qualities are being wasted due to not having a mobile striker upfront, the type of RVP and others. In fact there were rumours that RVP considered coming back by phoning Arsène once Fergie retired.
Perhaps the idea behind signing cheap strikers Welbeck and Sanogo was with this in mind to have more mobility in strikers.

But we still don't consider the financial constraints that Arsène had at the time.

We were chasing Suarez, and then Higuain. Once those failed we got Özil. But given that money wasn't there, we were never getting two of them: Özil + Suarez/Higuain. It was only one big signing per season.

Back then there was also a long discussion about if we should have gone more and got Suarez instead of Özil, because we all knew you couldn't get both of them. Next year our big signing in forward line was Sanchez.

Only when more money became available, we then got proper strikers in Laca and Auba in same season.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

Why, you don't think we financially capable or, Rice we bought fighting off City for a huge sum literally last summer
I think Arsenal as long as they are competitive will always have a chance with players

It’s not about being financially capable, it’s more so what the manager wants and it just doesn’t feel like those type of players are his preferred choice.

db10_therza

🎵 Edu getting rickrolled 🎵
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
Well I said he was the best of the bad bunch.

Back then (when you were awol in A-M :) ) we all used to say that it is a shame that all of Özil qualities are being wasted due to not having a mobile striker upfront, the type of RVP and others. in fact there were runours that RVP considered coming back by phoning Arsène, once Fergie retired.
Perhaps the idea behind signing cheap strikers Welbeck and Sanogo was with this in mind To have more mobility in strikers.

But we still don't consider the financial constraints that Arsène had at the time.

We were chasing Suarez, and then Higuain. Once those failed we got Özil. But given that money wasn't there, we were never getting two of them: Özil + Suarez/Higuain. It was only one big signing per season.

Back then there was also a long discussion about if we should have gone more and got Suarez instead of Özil, because we all knew you couldn't get both of them. Next year our big signing in forward line was Sanchez.

Only when more money became available, we then got proper strikers in Laca and Auba in same season.

Ye I’m not putting this on Wenger, he did what he could with the funds we (didn’t) have- it’s just the Giroud revisionism that irks me, especially when you put it next to how many see Özil around here.

Mesut was generational man.

Arsenal Quotes

"Surely what will be their last attack.

A good ball by Dixon, finding Smith for Thomas, charging through the midfield... It's up for grabs now! Thomas! Right at the end!

What an unbelievable climax to the League season"

Brian Moore on the Thomas' winning goal at Anfield in 1989

Latest posts

Top Bottom