• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: Think This Might Be It For Me(sut)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Don't know why people are saying that Arteta admitted to 'Failing' Özil, as if he owes Özil and apology or has mistreated him . Maybe it's a language thing, but that's not what he said. He talked about failing with Özil, in terms of not getting the required standards out of him. The full quote makes that crystal clear

"My conscience is very calm because I have been really fair," said Arteta.

"My job is to get the best out of every player, to contribute to the team performance.

"Here I feel at the moment, today, that I have failed. I want the best possible Mesut for the team. And in some moments I was able to get close to that, and at the moment I have not been able to do it because I have to make the decision to leave him out of the squad."

Yeah exactly. Arteta takes full responsibility for how every player behaves and if he can't get them training well, in the way he wants he sees it as his failure

Bergkamp1988

People still on this 'How can Özil not be in the 25 man squad, he's so much more talented than other players in it, it makes no sense'

How many times can it be said that he wasn't dropped from the squad because he wasn't gifted enough as a footballer to be in it.

Literally no-one has tried to argue that.

The manager and club have both specifically stated that he was dropped for 'footballing reasons'

That reason covers many more things than talent. Effort in training, ability to adapt to what the manger wants, mentality, attitude, influence on the squad etc etc

Well Said.. It's a simple twist of fate. Mesut should just take shelter from the storm.

kash2

More Consistent Than Arteta
It’s still quite possible that they saved jobs. They should still feel good about themselves. They made a sacrifice regardless. Mesut can’t though. Gunnersaurus still hasn’t been paid either.
stans stans hard at work from their janitors cupboard

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba

...happier times, before he became a total gimp...Özil being the gimp not Arteta, Mikel is still cool.
Those pics yet more evidence that politics are involved here. Arteta the mouth piece, footballing reasons the cover.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
Those pics yet more evidence that politics are involved here. Arteta the mouth piece, footballing reasons the cover.

What’s your logic here bro? They were cool with each other at one time in the past so in the future it’s impossible for one to take action against the other after he has not adhered to one of his non-negotiable management edicts?

Hmm.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Özil is finished as a footballer, but based purely on footballing ability, there's no way the likes of Mustafi offer more to the squad than Özil, especially given the problems we have in the final third.

This is definitely a political and financial decision. Club save 100k p/w if he doesn't play, and they need presence in the Chinese market.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

His ego is hurt...serves him right thinking he is above the club and the manager
This is a main point to me and good that you point this out. Özil and his entourage to me come over as overly prideful and easily insulted. Instead of looking into themselves and trying to see how they can adjust and change they want others to accommodate them at all times. Think they miscalculated but they will have plenty of money to ease the pain.

One thing more. I would not be surprised to see Özil play for Sp**s next season. Could see Mourinho try something like that if he can on the cheap. Plus the worst Özil fanboys here will still defend their Mesut while ****ting on Arsenal.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

I suspect Özil straight up doesn't want to listen to someone he played with and won more than and has probably not shown much respect to Arteta. But it's all guessing, I doubt we will ever know.
Not a bad point. Could easily see that happening. But like you said we might never know. Good point regardless as this is a dynamic in many work situations when people get promoted.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

I've that Chris Brown song stuck in my head for days thanks to the title. Tho I'm not allowed to sing the hook without censoring myself.

Reactions: A_G

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
I can't be the only one, surely, to have noticed how Özil almost never rushed over the congratulate a goal scorer if he had not been involved

he isn't a team player, which Wenger overlooked but Emery and Arteta couldn't and wouldn't - he got away with it a bit with Emery because others in the team didn't take to him, but the rest of the team seem to have jumped on board the good ship Arteta, and he didn't like it

on reflection I wonder if it wasn't his refusal to take a pay cut so much as his criticizing his team mates for doing so that was the final nail in his coffin - did he lecture them, or even mock them, once too often?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I still have an interest in training and development, in the stages that make it possible for players first to acquire technique (between 7 and 12) and then to develop physically (between 12 and 16), then to deepen their mental resilience (between 17 and 19) and finally between 19 and 22 to acquire what is critical, like the roof of a house without which all the rest rots away: intelligence and motivation

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom