• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mohamed Elneny: What is he good 4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyMarsh

Established Member
The only thing that redeems this signing is if we sign a starting quality central midfielder this summer. That way, Elneny's signing makes senses as he is just replacing Flamini/Arteta's squad role.

If however we don't sign a central midfielder this summer, you really have to question what was the point in this signing. Not what we need if we don't reinforce our midfield with real, top quality.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Why are we buying squad players to mix in with more squad players. Where's the logic?
He didn't sign the starting quality he should have signed in summer so when our season was in freefall in Jan this was probably the best he could get.

Don't mind him actually, he does his job. Problem is we have yet another decent player. Wenger needs to grow some balls and move on one of Cazorla/Ramsey and get us a proper starting quality central midfielder.

boyinneedofhumor

Has anyone considered that after the coming Euros, Elneny might be one of the players with better pre-season preparation?

He is not the saviour to all the problems we have but he can certainly do a decent job in his position.
Anyone who refuses to accept this just so to slate Wenger, happens to be selectively blind (as Wenger?).

We need decent players, we need numbers in the squad, and we need replacement for some of the aging players.

Ffs, the way some opinionated on him, I thought we've just gotten ourselves a next Cygan or Kallstrom...

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

Does a very specific job adequately, with no frills. Defensively suspect for a deep player, weak in the challenge, not very quick and not exactly creative.

Not the problem, but as good an example as you'll get as to why we've failed to win the league in 12 years.

I'm not against this lad, but you can't be a critic of Wengers transfer policy, and then say you're happy with this signing. It's a contradiction imo.

Well put. Fine as a squad addition (Flamini / Arteta replacement) but if he is here to slot in to the first team then that shows no ambition.

boyinneedofhumor

poor mans denilson or not but at present he is better than superman ramsey and deserves his spot in the first 11
I don't think I can agree to your 1st part atm. He moves the ball well, has stamina, does backtrack, positions himself alright, and from what I've seen, players like Özil or Sanchez amongst others are comfortable interchanging passes with him.
And... all this settling-in in just half a season.

If you cannot credit a player when he is doing OK, I think it probably sounds outrageous to show some support when they're experiencing a loss in form.

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
Way too much harshness in here.

Until Jack proves his fitness, at this point, it's Elneny plus new world class CM for me.

logic DC

I don't think I can agree to your 1st part atm. He moves the ball well, has stamina, does backtrack, positions himself alright, and from what I've seen, players like Özil or Sanchez amongst others are comfortable interchanging passes with him.
And... all this settling-in in just half a season.

If you cannot credit a player when he is doing OK, I think it probably sounds outrageous to show some support when they're experiencing a loss in form.
I'm referring or calling out people who refer to hin as a poor denilson, I'm not saying he is.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Why are we buying squad players to mix in with more squad players. Where's the logic?

Honestly don't know , but are we going to move a couple on this summer ? Way I see it we need to replace the technical quality in the squad it's slowly being eroded away .

Reactions: BBF
Cue the contract renewals for Arteta and Flamini. " We have top top quality in defensive midfield, don't forget Mikel is our technical leader and captain. He'll be like a fresh signing after not being able to run for 2 years."- Wenger.

Iceko

Dont think he deserves to start over Coquelin. Coquelin looked very good again before he got taken out of the team.

HollandGooner

Established Member

Player:Ødegaard
Dont think he deserves to start over Coquelin. Coquelin looked very good again before he got taken out of the team.

I agreed, but i think Wenger wants a type ""Arteta"" to supply the ball instead of playing a pure ""ball winner""., while Coquelin's contribution is good tbf.

say yes

forum master baiter
He needs to be a bit more adventurous on the ball but hopefully that will come with confidence.

Nice to have a CM who can do the basics.

boyinneedofhumor

In certain games u need a 4-2-3-1, with 2 really sitting further back behind the 3 AMC.
I can only think of 3 who can play there currently, 2 starting, 1 as a sub - Coquelin, Carzola, Elneny.
Ramsey? - possible becos of his stamina, but not ideal if the role calls for 2 defensive minded players.

Above hasn't even factored in long term injury to players yet. Or 2 hectic games within the space of a week. Etc.

Edit : meaning we aren't so poor that we could only afford to choose one or the other.

eye4goal

Established Member
I like him, but he'll need to add something extra to his game. Either he becomes a better tackler/interceptor or he adds more in terms of forward passing. Against deep blocks we suffer due to our inability to get it forward quickly. Our CM roster just doesn't make sense if we're aspiring to play on the front-foot. It would suit Leicester type football more as we seem to have more workers than technicians.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I am immensely proud to say that I am the manager who has won the most FA Cups, and MY Arsenal are the club to lift it the most.

Arsène Wenger

Daily Transfer Updates

Monday, May 20

Thomas Partey is wanted by clubs in Saudi Arabia, with just one year left on his deal [Evening Standard]

Pedro Neto & Nico Williams are admired by the club, while they have also watched Amadou Onana and Martin Zubimendi this season [Evening Standard]

Cedric Soares confirms his departure from the club [Arsenal.com]

Borussia Dortmund will rival Arsenal to sign Fenerbache LB Ferdi Kadıoğlu [Takvim]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom