• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Monchi Targeted for Technical Director Role

Status
Not open for further replies.

kraphtous

Raul Stanllehi
It wasn't by choice though was it? He had no choice but to sell Allison, Rudiger, Salah, Nainggolan and Emerson because bigger clubs wanted them. Let's not act like he went to Roma and decided to sell a load of players and bring in new ones. He was forced into selling players and then brought in a load of young ones to try and replace them.
He did a bad job in replacing them. Wasted most of that money on players like Schick, Karsdorp, Nzonzi, Kluivert, Pastore who are taking Roma to the EL. Not to mention some other nobodies who don‘t even make the bench for them, they all cost from €5-10m. Just imagine a bunch of Elnenys in our squad and you get the future of this club under Monchi.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
We lucky to get sven and then Monchi tow of best who can discover unkowen talented playere

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
Not quite - we'll get around + £40-45m from increased sponsorship across the board starting next season (Addidas, Emirates, Visit Rwanda)

Further, we could also easily reduce our wage bill by about £10-20m -Ramsey, Welbeck, Cech, Kosielny all expected to leave or a leaving.

We have room to spend significantly in the summer.

Or Kroenke has enough funds to buy himself a new ranch.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
He did a bad job in replacing them. Wasted most of that money on players like Schick, Karsdorp, Nzonzi, Kluivert, Pastore who are taking Roma to the EL. Not to mention some other nobodies who don‘t even make the bench for them, they all cost from €5-10m. Just imagine a bunch of Elnenys in our squad and you get the future of this club under Monchi.

He also signed Ünder, Cristante, Pellegrini and Zaniolo with the money. The nature of the job is

tumblr_nnzieiwpVP1qgyp45o3_400.gif

Last edited:

kraphtous

Raul Stanllehi
He’ll be an asshole if he leaves now.

But I’m not gonna cry, that’s for sure. Maybe we need to wait little bit more to judge him but I’m dissapointed with him so far. Tons of average players and tons of money spend on these players and we’re somehow getting worse with every season.

There are very few bright sides, like Zaniolo but I heard that he didn’t even want him at the first place and that someone else (don’t know the name) convice him to accept the offer from Inter.
Great news! [Monchi reportedly leaving] One single transfer that was an unqualified success from two whole years and that player was a part exchange for Radja anyway.
Best ****ing news I could hear.

If EDF goes, then double the pleasure.

I have given EDF 8+ months of chance to redeem himself and his show just gets stupider and stupider. I’ve had enough of these guys ****ing this team up. Good riddance. Only problem will be who Uncle Jimmy will be able to pull out of a barrel to replace them.

Wouldn’t mind having Sarri, but he’s probably too smart to come
Not sure I buy this rumor. Yeah, Monchi might have reason to leave right now (mixed results, his own career shelf-life, pissed fans) but I just don’t think the timing makes sense. I mean, wouldn’t you want to leave on a high note? If nothing else for a better negotiating position with your future employer? I mean, what does he have to show for his time at Roma at this point? You can agree with his player moves or not but I think that he’s shrewd enough to know that if you want to write your own ticket, you have to have a better resume than he does right now. I think he stays. Whether or not that’s a good thing for Roma is up for debate.
Well, win or lose, I think he can live off his Sevilla reputation for quite a while, so I’m not sure it matters what state he leaves Roma in.
Yes.
Yes.
Yes.
And if EDF follow his foot step, perfecto
I would feel betrayed, as I have been defending him all this time.
Well if Arsenal phone and offer us €1million for Monchi I’m sure Monchi would do what he always does in that situation – accept the offer straight away and replace himself with a younger sporting director with "potential".
pretty indifferent regarding monchi’s tenure. Destroyed last year’s cohesion with the numerous sales. He unearthed Zaniolo and Under. Most of his signings have been ****. Under has actually regressed. Either way just want roma to find some kind of stability over a 3-5 year project plan. Rome wasn’t built in a day. Neither will a championship team.
Also, do not want Sarri. I will take the psychopath motivator of Conte or Gasperini but not Sarri. His football takes forever to learn, he burns players out. With Roma’s constant injuries he would never be able to field his favorite 11

A few comments from „Chiesa di Totti“.

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out
Yeah, you speak to a lot of Roma and PSG fans then?
Roma fans can’t actually wait for him to leave. In fact, the reason he’s leaving is partly due to the “toxic” atmosphere at the club created by his **** transfer policy.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist

Once again, you're both cherry picking and displaying a level of ignorance regarding Monchi's transfers and what they have contributed. First, Kluivert is just 19 years old, is a top prospect and has actually been quite decent in his part-time role. Zaniolo is also just 19 and has been quite good with five goals and two assists this season. N'Zonzi has actually been excellent. And you completely neglected to mention either Under or Pellegrini, who have been absolutely brilliant and have bigger clubs drooling over them at the moment. Monchi brought in Kolarov from Manchester City as a budget replacement for Rudiger and he's been quite solid in their defense. Robin Olsen has been a capable replacement for Alisson. And several of those guys who they bought cheap have been sent out on loan.

Basically you're saying Monchi is a failure because while trying to dig Roma out of financial disaster by selling off players for profit he didn't replace them with Manchester City style spending.

A few comments from „Chiesa di Totti“.

Of course fans are going to be upset when they see the club selling off their biggest players for profit and replacing them with players who aren't such big names. But fans are idiots.

kraphtous

Raul Stanllehi
Then Monchi is really a piece of ****. To blame it on the environment if true is just a way of coming up with a reason to leave. We all know Roma is a tough place to work and so did Monchi before he took the job. Roma is not a prison so if he wants to leave he should go, but be honest about it.
Yes yes yes, **** you Monchi
From the beginning, Monchi proved to me he doesn’t know ****. Sure, he may have an eye for young players, but he sure as **** doesn’t know how to build a team. Sure he picked a few winners, but he ****ed this team up far more than made it better with his tea cup fill of winners. I needed only 1 mercato to judge him. Out of the amount of players he brought in, he’s lucky if 25% have returned the investment. That’s a super poor % if your a investment manager.

EDF has been there for way long enough to judge him. I thought he was great his first season. I have given him 8+ months since drastically ****ing this team since the end of the last mercato to redeem himself. That was a whole year. I was on his side the whole first year and the last 8 months. But his ****ty game plans or none at all, his ****ty formations, ****ty and stupid substitutions, sub-poor organisational command of the game (holy ****, have you seen the ****ing defensive positioning for the last 5 games? If not for supper-Manolas we’d be cooked), lack of proper managerial skills, and bi-polar motivational abilities all indicate it’s time to go.

Before the start of the season, lots of people said Spalletti and his team were mediocre and would not advance ahead of us. It’s not that Inter are that good. It’s that Monchi has made us that much worse
if he’d leave, then he really has a questionable personality. you can’t just come to a team and drag it through a transition period and then just say **** it and leave in the middle of it all.I actually appreciate what he’s trying to do here but if he doesn’t have the balls to take responsibility for his actions and wants to blame it all on the present culture then I was completely wrong about him
It would confirm my feeling that he is an immensely narcistic, self loathed ego tripper who doesn’t care about others but just kicks on himself and his career.

It wouldn’t suprise me, he has lied to fans and let them down more than once so this would certainly be a fitting way to betray the fans once again

Hadn‘t considered the douchebag move of starting a new long term project and then leaving after two unsuccesful years. Gazidis-esque, his ego must be huge.

At the end of the day Monchi did decent job at Sevilla, they did win the EL three times which is special. But that just special for club of their caliber.

We need a couple of big transfers and for that we need money. So it doesn't really matter who we are hiring unless we are okay with being Sevilla of England.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

The fact is Sven was more proven than Monchi, it’s mind boggling why we allowed him to leave that easily. Sven plus a lot of other factors helped Dortmund compete with Bayern in the league and even reach the CL final.

I follow the Serie A closely and the stuff Monchi has done at Roma has been nothing short of questionable. If the rumours are true (which is most likely) and we’re interested in Banega then we’re on our way to becoming the Sevilla of the PL.

Personally, I would have preferred to get someone like Andrea Berta from Atlético Madrid. Utd were linked with him a few months back. In general, their recruitment (Oblak, Rodri, Griezmann, Giménez etc) over the years has been fantastic.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I think people are getting the wrong idea of what a Technical Director/DOF is actually supposed to be. Monchi is not a scout FFS. These aren't his "finds". He's a f*cking administrator at the end of the day, his job is to ensure the philosophy of the club stays intact and work with the recruitment department and THEY are the ones who identify the players, and he also works accordingly with whoever the manager is to bring those guys in.

Monchi's work before and after Emery is worth taking a look at while at Sevilla, where he took them up to higher echelons by bolstering the recruitment department as well as Sevilla's academy. He has done excellent work and to sully him just because he's pals with Emery and the honeymoon period is over smacks of agenda driven nonsense.

All I want from any technical director is to ensure we continue to play attacking football and to insist on smart buys in conjunction with promoting Hale End graduates. At the end of the day, the buck still stops with Emery in terms of whether he plays them, and who he actually wants Monchi and the recruitment team to bring him. We will see on that front, but I don't know why people seem to think it's Monchi going out and buying these players on a whim. There might be sh*t to complain about - this ain't it.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

I think people are getting the wrong idea of what a Technical Director/DOF is actually supposed to be. Monchi is not a scout FFS. These aren't his "finds". He's a f*cking administrator at the end of the day, his job is to ensure the philosophy of the club stays intact and work with the recruitment department and THEY are the ones who identify the players, and he also works accordingly with whoever the manager is to bring those guys in.

Monchi's work before and after Emery is worth taking a look at while at Sevilla, where he took them up to higher echelons by bolstering the recruitment department as well as Sevilla's academy. He has done excellent work and to sully him just because he's pals with Emery and the honeymoon period is over smacks of agenda driven nonsense.

All I want from any technical director is to ensure we continue to play attacking football and to insist on smart buys in conjunction with promoting Hale End graduates. At the end of the day, the buck still stops with Emery in terms of whether he plays them, and who he actually wants Monchi and the recruitment team to bring him. We will see on that front, but I don't know why people seem to think it's Monchi going out and buying these players on a whim. There might be sh*t to complain about - this ain't it.

Yes what he does best is set up scouting network and improve the academy. We need our academy .

Important , as when Freddie takes over from Unai , they'll already have a strong working relationship .

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Yes what he does best is set up scouting network and improve the academy. We need our academy .

Important , as when Freddie takes over from Unai , they'll already have a strong working relationship .

At Sevilla, Monchi built a worldwide network of more than 700 scouts. I expect quite a few of them will be working for Arsenal if he does, indeed, become the club's technical director.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
The fact is Sven was more proven than Monchi,.

This is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's an opinion that does not hold up to the facts.

It's also important to note that Monchi will not be taking over Sven's job. He will be taking a job that Sven wanted, but that Sanllehi did not think he was capable of handling. Francis Cagigao or someone else will replace Sven -- a scout. Monchi is an administrator who usually works with a worldwide network of more than 700 scouts who have uncovered some of the best young talents of the past 15 years or so.

say yes

forum master baiter
The fact is Sven was more proven than Monchi

No he’s not ffs. Sven is a scout with no experience of being a technical director. He left the club because we wouldn’t promote him to that position.

If we get Monchi (and nothing is confirmed until it appears on Özil’s Instagram) then we’ve got the best in the business for our new structure. Fair play to the club. Sven’s scouting expertise is still a loss but it’s Cagigao he should be compared to, not Monchi.

Artisan

Not Emery's Old Pal
He has done that by signings a 39 year old Nznozi for 30M? Lovely stuff.
The fact that their best player now is Kolarov now says all that needs to be said about the job he's done there. Actually the fact that Kolarov is also their top scorer maybe means Monchi is the perfect fit for Emery after all.

Artisan

Not Emery's Old Pal
He also signed Ünder, Cristante, Pellegrini and Zaniolo with the money. The nature of the job is

tumblr_nnzieiwpVP1qgyp45o3_400.gif
Pellegrini was from their own academy, "selling" to another team and then buying him back is a common tactic in Serie A they would have done with or without Monchi. So that just leaves the other three.
Cristante is just average, Zaniolo has definitely potential but is not there yet. So that just leaves Under as the good one. Truly the best director in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I often relive those 49 undefeated matches. I do believe in signs to a certain extent, and as I was born in 1949, I sometimes tell myself it was our destiny to lose the 50th. Those 49 matches are etched within me and within each player: it is something fundamental, a triumph born out of passion.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom