• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Nicolas Pepe: Saint Nic Is Back

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
Even if arsenal gets a new coach, pepe still won't make the squad.
Yeah true and large part of that is his own fault. Still think it's ridiculous the fans just accept that any player who doesn't fit a predefined set of traits or character just won't work out here.

Will be interesting to see how long it'll take for AM to turn on him after Saka got Kim Kardashian pregnant and did his first hand and neck tats.

Jason Jace

Yeah true and large part of that is his own fault. Still think it's ridiculous the fans just accept that any player who doesn't fit a predefined set of traits or character just won't work out here.

Will be interesting to see how long it'll take for AM to turn on him after Saka got Kim Kardashian pregnant and did his first hand and neck tats.
Depends on if he does a Dele Ali.

If I was him, I would steer clear of the Kardashians, look at what they did to Kanye

Tom Mix

It's not his fault he was signed and for such stupid money. Blame Raul or whoever but the guy's going nowhere fast to take a two thirds paycut and if anyone says they would, they are lying. So much as I would like us to sell him, no one's going to pay a sausage because they don't want to pay his inflated wages.

Our current Arsenal have bullied players before - Özil and Aubameyang - and created media/fan campaigns against players to try and save a few bob for mistakes the management and board made. This is disgusting and disgraceful and if a player puts two fingers up at the Arsenal and stays, they deserve it. As do the baying internet "big guys" who are always quick to seek the safety of a lynch mob.

Pepe will need to stay and it would be daft not to try and find some use for him before he goes. But that's going to require Arteta giving him some confidence. Maybe with the new atmosphere at the Emirates Pepe might be weaned back into the fold, If Arteta can't be bothered then he/we will have to accept that Pepe will continue to be a drain on resources till the day he leaves.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
He wasn't crap though. When you compare him to flops like 100m Nunez, 80m Harvetz and other guys who he was better than or even on the same level as who were bought for big moneys but even till the last moment, their clubs were still trying to make it work.

It was not a quality problem. The coach clearly didn't rate him. Like @Macho alluded to above, if Mikel likes you he'll give you a long rope. White struggled when he came in, but Mikel persisted with him even though a 21 year old kid came and took his place, Mikel found a place on the team for him (White).

If he was a Mikel signing, he'd probably have played him as a striker or something, anywhere at all to get the best out of him.
Just cost guys like Nunez were a flop doesn’t mean Pepe isn’t one as well. I don’t really see why this is relevant.

The coach didn’t rate him because he wasn’t good enough, look at how his career has panned out. You guys seem to want him to be given games regardless of performance just because you’re fans of him.

There’s tons of players that weren’t Mikel signings that he persisted with, he practically begged Xhaka to stay when he wanted to leave, kept playing Martinelli/Saka, I can’t remember but I don’t think Gabriel Maga was a Arteta signing either.

Tnegs

Play him as a no 8 would be fun watching him beat 1,2,3 players only to run it out of play or lay it off to to next opposing player. We can call it the return of Diaby.

Bucephalus

It wasn’t a sensible transaction at all it’s why Raul got sacked.
From my understanding, Raul got sacked because he got his hand caught in the till. Pepe would still be a flop, and still to my mind be an understandable flop, even if Raul wasn't involved and we got Pepe for 25% cheaper. But splashing on a pacy dribble merchant to try and invigorate a stagnant possession-based attack is still a decent choice. It didn't work. But sometimes transfers flop, and you don't need to blame the player or the club. There was a plan in there, and it just didn't work.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
But splashing on a pacy dribble merchant to try and invigorate a stagnant possession-based attack is still a decent choice. It didn't work. But sometimes transfers flop, and you don't need to blame the player or the club. There was a plan in there, and it just didn't work.
There was never a plan there, coaches never wanted him and he didn't fit into our style (that's including Emery).
Pepe was super talented but he would never fit into the strict systems Arteta and Emery wanted.

For Pepe, it would've been much better if he had joined a circus team (something that Zaha did) and had all the freedom to play his game. Instead, he took the money option and ended up playing in a completely broken Arsenal team with managers who never wanted him.

Saying that I'm 100% he would be able to contribute if he stays this season. The team and the football we play have changed drastically and it would suit him. Obviously, he wouldn't be a starter

Macho

DJ Machodemiks
Dusted 🔻

Pepe I reckon we will pay to go away or loan until his contract expires. He’s had his chances and it won’t work, let an academy player play 8 games in all comps.

If we got anything like 8-10mil that would be amazing and it means Edu has improved.

I think there is a lesson somewhere in the club with the Kai situation though, not that they were ever rated the same.

He flopped in the league under numerous managers and Chelsea got 60 mil off us, it’s not always as cut and dry as you guys make out. It’s clear that a lot of you are unable to rate a player outside of whether Arteta uses them or not.

Sparrahork

He might be kinda a flop in hindsight. We'd never have spent 72 million on him if we knew how good Saka was going to be. He'd never have come here if he knew how good Saka was going to be. We'd never have left Highbury and built Emirates if we knew that TV revenues would mean that we didn't need to go to war with Old Trafford for maximizing bums in seats.

It was a sensible transaction with the knowledge at the time. Never blame the club (or the player) for decisions that were sensible when made.
Hopefully Pepe will highlight the importance of watching and evaluating our youth team, pivoting with potential transfers if clear we have a special talent and allowing them a path into the squad.

I was dead set against the Willian signing at the time, I was not aware of Saka being a rw but felt it blocked the development of Pepe and Reiss.

We have to be extremely careful signing players for the hell of it.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
The coach didn’t rate him because he wasn’t good enough, look at how his career has panned out. You guys seem to want him to be given games regardless of performance just because you’re fans of him.
He scored 10 PL goals in 1600 minutes under Arteta which is most likely the top 3% in the league or close to that, not gonna bother looking at cup games but probably scored a decent number there as well but nobody cares about those. Is that a player who is not good enough or he doesn't fit into someone's plans?

A first team starter would get some +/-3000 minutes in a season, so if he got a full season we would look at something like 18 goals from him, which someone who is not good enough would never be able to do in the PL.

I can understand why Arteta wanted Saka and Willian (although that guy was a massive mistake in the end), but oversimplifying things to the level you are doing is just poor quality of posting.

That being said, if you read what Pepe said about the whole situation, it's easy to see he was promised something by Arteta which turned out to be a lie the moment he signed Willian. You could tell Pepe still tried that season, but in the end, gave up on Arsenal and his career (which makes me think Macho is right in saying we won't get anything for him).

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Pepe I reckon we will pay to go away or loan until his contract expires. He’s had his chances and it won’t work, let an academy player play 8 games in all comps.

If we got anything like 8-10mil that would be amazing and it means Edu has improved.

I think there is a lesson somewhere in the club with the Kai situation though, not that they were ever rated the same.

He flopped in the league under numerous managers and Chelsea got 60 mil off us, it’s not always as cut and dry as you guys make out. It’s clear that a lot of you are unable to rate a player outside of whether Arteta uses them or not.

Which other team than us would pay 60 million for havertz? It’s not like several teams in the league rated him. Everyone is shocked Chelsea got their money back for their flop

As far as pepe goes. Arsenal has enough money for the manager to write off whoever he wants and get new toys. If we were not loaded we wouldn’t either loan him out or pay him off. He has contributed in the past and is good enough to contribute. His best season in the pl he scored more than a guy we spent 65 million on.

Macho

DJ Machodemiks
Dusted 🔻

Which other team than us would pay 60 million for havertz? It’s not like several teams in the league rated him. Everyone is shocked Chelsea got their money back for their flop

As far as pepe goes. Arsenal has enough money for the manager to write off whoever he wants and get new toys. If we were not loaded we wouldn’t either loan him out or pay him off. He has contributed in the past and is good enough to contribute. His best season in the pl he scored more than a guy we spent 65 million on.

It’s the Arteta show init, I dunno whoelse pays that cause Madrid walked away.

Pepe flopped with 2 managers he’s no good. Havertz flopped under 3 but Arteta can fix him.

The truth is both are ok, could work in the right system and virtually cost the same but people can’t climb out of Arteta’s arsehole.

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐

Pepe flopped with 2 managers he’s no good. Havertz flopped under 3 but Arteta can fix him.

The truth is both are ok, could work in the right system and virtually cost the same but people can’t climb out of Arteta’s arsehole.
Like watching George Foreman come back in 94 to flatten Moorer taking the belt home this. Everyone said you're washed, Artetas beaten you into submission like a dog etc but they don't know you like I do champ 💪

db10_therza

🎵 Edu getting rickrolled 🎵
Trusted ⭐

Player:White

Prime time Macho stuff this. Good to have you back G.

You’re broadly right I think. The only exception is that the argument is Havertz was played in the wrong position, whereas Pepe was played in the right position but the wrong tactics. The former is an easier fix, whereas tactical resets based on one player are out of the question unless the player is Mbappe or sth.

Either way, anyone who thinks there isn’t a very real risk that project Havertz backfires is smoking some good stuff. My money is on Arteta. But only just. If Havertz was from a diff league then it’d be a diff story.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Some of our fans have cult like mentality with Arteta and with any cult followers once you ask couple of questions, they crumble. On one hand Arteta is this genius who can improve players others managers can’t with havertz, but pepe who scored more in his best season in the pl and his best season in his career is far superior than anything havertz has produced is uncoachable. And the worst thing is if haverz fail here, they will still defend the 65 million fee saying his talent was too much not to gamble on him. Despite most people who watch him for Chelsea don’t see this amazing talent we are told about

Macho

DJ Machodemiks
Dusted 🔻

Either way, anyone who thinks there isn’t a very real risk that project Havertz backfires is smoking some good stuff. My money is on Arteta. But only just.

Same, I think some of the left field signings working out and last seasons results warrants some grace for Arteta.

The hypocrisy is just annoying though. Saying “Pepe is just bad” is probably what some stinky Chelsea said about Havertz, but they are about to find out the right manager and/or style of play can make all the difference.

db10_therza

🎵 Edu getting rickrolled 🎵
Trusted ⭐

Player:White
Same, I think some of the left field signings working out and last seasons results warrants some grace for Arteta.

The hypocrisy is just annoying though. Saying “Pepe is just bad” is probably what some stinky Chelsea said about Havertz, but they are about to find out the right manager and/or style of play can make all the difference.

I think one way or another, next season is gonna be memorable for sure. Tactical and personnel changes on the back of actual expectations for the first time in ages? Let’s hope it’s memorable for all the right reasons 🙏

BigPoppaPump

He scored 10 PL goals in 1600 minutes under Arteta which is most likely the top 3% in the league or close to that, not gonna bother looking at cup games but probably scored a decent number there as well but nobody cares about those. Is that a player who is not good enough or he doesn't fit into someone's plans?

A first team starter would get some +/-3000 minutes in a season, so if he got a full season we would look at something like 18 goals from him, which someone who is not good enough would never be able to do in the PL.

I can understand why Arteta wanted Saka and Willian (although that guy was a massive mistake in the end), but oversimplifying things to the level you are doing is just poor quality of posting.

That being said, if you read what Pepe said about the whole situation, it's easy to see he was promised something by Arteta which turned out to be a lie the moment he signed Willian. You could tell Pepe still tried that season, but in the end, gave up on Arsenal and his career (which makes me think Macho is right in saying we won't get anything for him).
Cherry picking stats to fit a narrative is even worse quality of posting. Pepe wasn’t good enough it was evident to everyone without an agenda.

BigPoppaPump

Where is the hypocrisy though? Pepe was poor for Arsenal while we haven’t even seen Havertz play for us yet, at least give him a chance.

Arsenal Quotes

In 1997/98 we became English champions as I had set myself three missions to carry out which I felt were essential. One: to have an impact on the result and the team's playing style. Two: to foster the player's individual development. Three: to strengthen the structure of the club and enhance its global influence.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom