<

Nicolas Pepe: With A Dribble Of Sauce

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by tap-in, Aug 2, 2020.

?

How many goals in all competitions?

1. <10

24 vote(s)
    22.0%
  2. <15

58 vote(s)
    53.2%
  3. <20

15 vote(s)
    13.8%
  4. 20+

12 vote(s)
    11.0%
  1. say yes

say yes Thread Title Abuser

I rate Pepe and think he should be starting every game, but have to admit I’m slightly worried that he isn’t an Arteta player.

Feel like he’s going to use him in the same way Pep has used his wingers & Mahrez in particular. Crazy rotation.

2. Riou

Riou Non-Stop Nostalgia

Does anyone else on AM not like the word "sauce" used to describe footballers who are very skillful/have personality?

BigPoppaPump likes this.
  3. Furious

Furious Emery Gone, Telly Back On

It's contemporary terminology. I'm sure in 2040 when everyone else is tired of this word you'll be using it nonstop.

4. Trilly

Trilly The John Sauce Of Ilford Trusted

Same, I think Arteta would have naturally preferred a Bernado Silva type player for balance on the right wing and as a consequence Willian might eat into his minutes.

Hopefully that’s not the case and uses a system that creates 1v1s for him instead like Pep did with Sterling and Sane. Last season he was only used to attract players before a quick switch to the left side, bit of a waste imo.

Red London and lufere7 like this.
  5. Trilly

Could have easily got an assist with that little bit of skill by the byline, still think he’s the only player in the squad that could pull that off.

I think Arteta prefers Willian though, I hope Nico rises to the challenge rather than letting his head drop.

6. grange

grange Well-Known Member

Willian was supposedly brought in to play centrally so he wouldn't have taken time away from Pepe. First game in and we see that's not the case. Worrying.

7. DanDare

DanDare Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief

I think in the end he'll play right wing if we ever manage to play 433/4231

Willian will play centrally in that case

8. celestis

celestis Arsenal-Mania Veteran Moderator

Think Arteta prefers Willian as he plays within a structure. But Pepe definitely got more gears than Willian in the attacking third.

Macho, Trilly, sdotzdot and 1 other person like this.
  9. Trilly

Yeah it’s the traditional wide midfielder vs winger thing again. Certain games will call for certain skill sets.

celestis likes this.
  10. Mrs Bergkamp

Mrs Bergkamp Established Member

Didn't have much time but got stuck in and kept us on the front foot. His game needs refining and he needs to maintain confidence and consistency but after the restart, he's looked as decent as his stats. Fingers crossed for him.

celestis likes this.
  11. yousif_arsenal

yousif_arsenal King of Twitter Rumours Moderator

This season is pretty important for him to kick on he'll finally have stability with good manager and competition with Willian so let's see if he deliver. Confident he will.

12. Keplaz

Keplaz Well-Known Member

I think it's a fitness issue. Pepe will get games. As will Ceballos. Starting on the bench today doesn't mean they won't get games.

This season will be harder on the legs than any other. Everyone will be needed.

Trilly likes this.
  13. Makavelii

Makavelii Well-Known Member

That is quite a lot to expect.
    How many wide wingers are getting those stats in the world?
    Auba doesn’t count cause he plays more like an inverted second striker.

14. Football Manager

Football Manager Copy & Paste Merchant

People looking to much into stats and forget about the general team play and tactical contribution.

If Willian plays the same again against Fulham, but the goals take one or two more passes before scoring, Willian will not get a single assist. But his general play contribution is just exactly the same. I will still think that he had a great game, some of you won’t.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
    Trilly, DanDare and truth_hurts like this.
  15. Macho

Macho Well-Known Member Trusted

:lol: it’s not realistic at all, especially with the amount of chances we create.

It’s not happening anyways, now that Willian is here and looking good.

It’s quickly looking like another stop and start season for Pepe as he’s probably gonna be in and out the side.

Don’t think Arteta truly fancies him and I could be jumping the gun, but the team looks so much more natural with Willian in it. He just gets the league.

16. BigPoppaPump

BigPoppaPump Contrarian

Anyone think we should look to sell him and get some money back next summer if he has another lackluster season?

AbouCuéllar likes this.
  17. Kav

Kav Well-Known Member

His first season in terms of goals was underwhelming but his performances overall was anything but lackluster.

In terms of key contributions and chances created he led the team last season so he was making his mark. Some don’t have an eye for this stuff so they might think he is flopping.

He needs to work on his transitional play to improve efficiency (too many times he has failed to just have a go instead he tries to beat his man twice) to ensure we have more directness in our approach.

Let us hope he improves otherwise it won’t be long for the pressure to pile on.

I have always been against people judging a player by the price of his transfer. He has no control over what clubs negotiate as fees. He is not going around and saying I’m worth 1.5M or 72M. It’s not his fault. We really shouldn’t use it as a stick to beat the player with. Use it as a stick to beat the management or owners with.

18. AbouCuéllar

AbouCuéllar Well-Known Member

Really? I would argue that his goals and assists actually look a bit better than his performance level did. Some of his performances were really rather dreadful but he's saved himself with some goals/assists out of nothing.

I've come around on him a bit with his performances later in the season, especially City in the cup, I think we can turn him into something of a Mahrez-lite. But his slowness of thought and inability to associate at a fast pace makes me think he'll never be the top quality winger we're looking for. We shall see though, other players have improved in this aspect when it looked like they wouldn't. Still have hope, but yeah, certainly long-term he's someone we could sell if he doesn't develop that aspect of his game, depending on the development of Saka, Nelson, ESR, and academy talents + potential buys out there.

Mrs Bergkamp likes this.
  19. tap-in

tap-in Nothing Wrong With Me

I dont think it was lacklustre, he didn't really get a proper run. Hopefully he's start a run of games soon.

20. Jury

Jury Mission Accomplished

“Lacklustre” makes him sound like he wasn’t trying when he clearly was. More out the game than in on many occasions, or on the periphery, threatening to do something. It’s frustrating because it’s a tease. You see him do some unplayable stuff and then he’s out the game for 25 minutes... I hope he’s watching Willian in training. I can only see him improving for having him around. I don’t like seeing him isolated. As good as he is at beating a man, I like to see him playing with others close by.