• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Arsenal v Manchester City | August 12th, 2018 16:00 BST | Sky Sports

Match Prediction

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

I think we’ll surprise a few today. I’m not usually very optimistic but let’s be real here, Emery would have studied Man City and Pep’s approach. He’ll set us up to stifle their main players and hit them with our firepower.

Even last season when we played them in the Carabao Cup Final we might have lost 3-0 and the score line wasn’t really a true reflection of the game as we had a lot of chances against that City team. However, I’m very unconvinced by our defence in particular Mustafi & Sokratis who are likely to start. Not sure I trust Mustafi against Sergio Aguero.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Hope no one gets too angry or upset if we lose, especially at the manager or even the players. It's the toughest start possible for us at the beginning of a new project. I think we'll put up a real fight but I also know the insane quality that City have.

In saying that we're entering the unknown so who knows what'll happen.

Sapient Hawk

Can You Smell What The Hawk Is Cooking?
Trusted ⭐

The new season is upon us & I for one am cannot wait until the team steps out onto the Emirates pitch to usher in a new, optimistic & bold era.

Should we lose it will not be a tragedy as City are the Champions & have quality all over the pitch.

However, the prospect of beating them & showing the rest of the Premier League that this Arsenal is a different animal is too great to pass.

In closing, I have but three sage words to offer:

COME ON ARSENAL!!!!

gkoat

Top teams grinding out results at the start of the season when you’re not quite in your stride, players aren’t back from summer comps and lower teams are filled with new optimism are hard earned points that count big in the end.

We like to think this but rarely is the first week ever indicative of anything. To review...

Last year AFC won epl opener, a rare instance and one of their better week1 starts over the past decade, and also went on to have their worst season in 20 years.

2015-16 on the other hand we had an awful start, losing 2-0 vs West Ham. Went onto our record highest finish in years.

The year in between we were thrashed v LFC in first game and picked up a key injury. Nothing was out of the realm of possibility until in mid October when we thrashed CFC so bad they didn't even come out the 2nd half. CFC was devastated, completely redid tactics, and went from 5th to 1st in about 2 months.

Points are points and results are results but the idea of a hard correlation beyond goodteamsshouldbeatlesserteams is a bit extreme.

El Granit-Coq

Established Member
Hope no one gets too angry or upset if we lose, especially at the manager or even the players. It's the toughest start possible for us at the beginning of a new project. I think we'll put up a real fight but I also know the insane quality that City have.

In saying that we're entering the unknown so who knows what'll happen.
Not the manager no... But certain players yes. Some are willing to give majority of the players a second chance in a new setting, even I've decided to give Mustafi a second chance but if we lose a good game because of a stupid error by him...

I agree with the general sentiment. It wouldn't exactly be embarrassing if we lost, but a draw would be a good result and a win a strong boost for the rest of the season.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Not the manager no... But certain players yes. Some are willing to give majority of the players a second chance in a new setting, even I've decided to give Mustafi a second chance but if we lose a good game because of a stupid error by him...

I agree with the general sentiment. It wouldn't exactly be embarrassing if we lost, but a draw would be a good result and a win a strong boost for the rest of the season.
It depends on how we lose, if we do indeed lose. Go out strong then that's fine. If it's anything like last seasons games that will be harder to take.

For the new guys they will be harder to judge. This is new ground for them. For the old guys we will get an insight no matter how small into the old "handbrake" mentality.

As for Mustafi if like the rest needs a clean sheet, a second chance.

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

I don't trust Lichsteiners pace v sane but wouldn't be opposed to this.

Yeah he's a lot quicker but if he positions himself well enough he'll be okay. Plus want to see Lich snap him early on.

Camron

Photoshop King
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
Most important thing today for me is the desire and fight to win. The idea of a strategic game plan being followed. Everything else needs time. Draw or win is just a bonus.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
I really do want to see Lichtsteiner at RB though, he handles Neymar pretty well in the WC and I still don't trust Bellerin against Sane.

Somewhere else on this forum I said that if only Lichtsteiner had Bellerin's legs. Or if Bellerin only had Lichtsteiner's everything else.

One is one of the best right backs of his generation. The other sometimes looks as though he's just running up and down the pitch aimlessly. I'm reminded of Lee Dixon saying that Bould tried to teach Bellerin but he just wouldn't listen. So maybe Emery's video analysis can get him straightened out. If a picture is worth a thousand words, video must be worth 10 thousand.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Let's just take the ****ing win, I don't care how we do it , don't care if we have 20 percent possession and one shot on target as long as we win .

66372-20151217130420162-54328058.jpg

Vinci

The Sultan of Unai

Wouldn't expect too many surprises in the team, 4-3-3 like we've seen in pre-season. Just a question mark over Guendouzi or Ramsey starting.

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
Pep is dreaming of going the whole season without losing, which for me is the biggest reason why we need to beat them today - to thwart him from day one would be great, and for us of all teams to do it would be even greater

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
GAME DAY BOYS!

How to lay a marker down: Beat the Champions on the opening day of the season.

We can do this! It’s a new era, a new Arsenal. Win, lose or draw we have a lot to be optimistic and excited about. But how good would it be to beat that arrogant bastard Pep?

Time for Torreira to be our next legendary South American defensive midfielder. Time for Aubameyang to be our new goal crazy no. 14. Time for Özil to be our new creative genius at no.10. Time for Bellerin to dispel the ghost Cashley. Time for Leno to be our new German MENTAL goalkeeper.

New dawn, new day. We can do this...

For the first (and certainly not last) time this season..

COYYYGGGGGG!!

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

Some people are always talking about pace when coming up against players like Sane & Sterling. Wasn’t Bellerín caught out of position by Sane last season against City at the Etihad?

Bellerín is definitely faster than Lichsteiner but positioning is the most important thing when playing in that position.

Did some people forget when Maldini came up against a pacey Overmars?

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Pep is dreaming of going the whole season without losing, which for me is the biggest reason why we need to beat them today - to thwart him from day one would be great, and for us of all teams to do it would be even greater

Anfield vs Klopp's Liverpool is Pep's kryptonite tbh.

On the whole Bellerin vs Lichtsteiner thing, it's obviously going to be Bellerin, let's hope that the coaches have improved his supposed poor positioning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

There's a minute on the clock left for Arenal. Brady for Arsenal.... right across, Sunderland... IT'S THERE! I do not believe it, I SWEAR I do not believe it!

Peter Jones on the goal against United in the 79 cup final

Latest posts

Top Bottom