• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Arsenal vs Middlesbrough | 22/08/04

Jose_Reyes_2005

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Anyone who has seen him play?

Saw him against Maribor in a pre season friendly and i was very impressed.

He has the exact same style of play as vieira - its pretty scary how similar they are actually.

Anyway, wenger doesnt seem to rate him as highly as other youngsters such as cesc and pennant, because if he does then we would all have seen him play by now.

I also remember reading somewhere that he wants to move to a club where he can get first team football.

Would be a big shock to me if he starts - but it would be interesting to see how he does.

kanuuu

Established Member
I don't think someone has mentioned Seba Svärd? If Wenger feels he's solid enough defensively, he might give him a go. It is in a way a risk just as big as playing Cesc and Pires in the middle

He probably has less experience than Flamini.

johe

kanuuu said:
I don't think someone has mentioned Seba Svärd? If Wenger feels he's solid enough defensively, he might give him a go. It is in a way a risk just as big as playing Cesc and Pires in the middle

He probably has less experience than Flamini.

Yes he has less experience, but Flamini looks very aggressive and quite weak, whereas Svärd (or so I've heard) is strong on the ball and is often likened to Vieira. He looked very tall as well. I've only seen him play very few times and its a shame things didn't work out for him in FC Copenhagen last year, but I feel he would have gotten more chances if it weren't for that we have such a strong midfield and rarely any injuries there. Cesc wouldn't have gotten the chance in the CS if Vieira and Edu hadn't been out, and now we all feel that was a Godsend.

Loylz

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
johe said:
Jose_Reyes_2004 said:
It looks like gilberto may not make this game - in that case i reckon there is no way in hell wenger will start with flamini and cesc - the 2 extreemly inexperienced youngsters will struggle to form an understanding - especially when up against players like parlour and zenden who will probarly tackle like crazy throughout the game.

IF gilberto does not make it then pires will probarly start in the centre, reyes on the left - with henry and dennis up front.

My only worry is that a midfield of reyes,pires,cesc and ljungberg might just be too attacking.

That is what I think too. Since we're playing at home it could work, and if Gilberto, Edu and Vieira are out, it's the best we can come up with. However, I don't think someone has mentioned Seba Svärd? If Wenger feels he's solid enough defensively, he might give him a go. It is in a way a risk just as big as playing Cesc and Pires in the middle. Anyone who has seen him play? From what I've heard he's less of an attacking midfielder than Cesc and is strong physically. Anyway I think there's a bigger chance Wenger will play Lauren or Pires in the middle.
Maybe he can play like Gilberto. He's almost there as he looks like Gilberto.

bobbypires

Established Member
Well, if finally Gilberto don't play, I'm sure Pires will be in the middle with Cesc or Flamini. Cesc has more options imo.

Double_H

Established Member
Gilberto will play (i Hope ) ...why u guys have doubts is it beacuse of the Injury he got aginst Everton ??

bobbypires

Established Member
Double_H said:
Gilberto will play (i Hope ) ...why u guys have doubts is it beacuse of the Injury he got aginst Everton ??
Well, he played injured against Haiti last wednesday. He needed a rest.
And jetlag is a bad thing too.

Loylz

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
OneteaminLondon said:
If Gilberto doesn't make it, what about Lauren in midfield and Justin Hoyte at right back?
JH is too inexperienced to play in such a crucial position against the likes of Zenden and Mendieta. Hopefully he'll get a 15 minute cameo her and there so to increace his experience.

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
But we have no central midfield experience if Gilberto isn't fit.
Good as he is, Fabregas isn't exactly a first team mainstay just yet. Either way, if Gilberto isn't fit tomorrow we'll be lacking experience.

As for Hoyte coping with Mendieta and/ or Zenden, Mendieta is nowhere near the player he was 5 years ago, otherwise I would be worried and Zenden isn't that great, Hoyte needs to play against these types of players.

Loylz

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
OneteaminLondon said:
But we have no central midfield experience if Gilberto isn't fit.
Good as he is, Fabregas isn't exactly a first team mainstay just yet. Either way, if Gilberto isn't fit tomorrow we'll be lacking experience.

As for Hoyte coping with Mendieta and/ or Zenden, Mendieta is nowhere near the player he was 5 years ago, otherwise I would be worried and Zenden isn't that great, Hoyte needs to play against these types of players.
I get what you're saying, but experience is needed more in defence than in midfield. A defensive lapse will cost you dear, whereas one in midfield will be less so, as your defenders will mop up after you. You get what I'm saying.

I know if Gilberto is unfit we will be seriously lacking, but I'd rather have inexperienced midfielders rather than inexperienced defenders. Just putting across my point there mate.

Soler

Established Member
I got this off of a Middlesbrough forum about their injuries:

Ehiogu - Back
Reiziger - Shoulder
Southgate - Knee
*Queudrue - Groin
Christie - Broken leg
Davies - Broken leg

* = could be fit for the game

Suspensions:
Viduka (last match of ban)

Under manned Borough team too.

Arsenal Quotes

My first ever football memory was Charlie George's double winning goal in 71. After that game; I just became an Arsenal fan.

Paul Davis
Top Bottom