• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Chelsea v Arsenal | August 18, 2018 17:30 BST | BT Sport

Match Prediction

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐
Chelsea looked just as vulnerable and clueless at the back as us tbh, can see Sarri still has a lot of work to do, we consistently found space(in the 1st half) even when we struggled for possession.. The more I think about it the worse this result gets, especially since they didn't even start with their best player. Just have to make up for it in the next few games.

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐
That goal is totally Lacazette's fault. That back pass was an absolute killer. Don't know what he was thinking. Is it Torreira he was trying to reach in between two Chelsea players from 25 yards? Then just totally being done by Hazard later in the sequence. That was just an awful display of poor play.

Shocking decision, even if the pass had been accurate he would have put Torreira under a lot of pressure and almost certainly led to him losing the ball, he even had Auba with a lot of space on his left.. I'll forgive him for being done by Hazard, but his effort back was so lazy.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

The first two goals were brutal but there was also a period when Chelsea just toyed with us and they done much the same for the second half. If anything half time came at the wrong time for us.

I said during the game how has Sarri got them playing like given Emery has been here slightly longer and has had the benefit of a full pre season. Then I thought about it. Yes we've recently had Chelseas number but like I said they've still won titles with Hazard, Kante, Pedro, Azpilicueta, Willian. We may have not lost to them in one off games the same way we didn't lose to Leicester when they won the league but against the other 18 they had the consistency and quality. And unfortunately Chelsea still have that quality. They are starting from a higher level than us. They just downed tools last season just like they did the season after Mourinho won the league in 2014.

Not doubting they're quality they have fantastic talent, but you'll find where they dominated us was better organisation . It's unheard of that they dominate us possession wise the way they did for large periods . Yet they did yesty that's down to lack of confidence and players not knowing what to do on our part and an inability to win it back .

What happened yesty had nothing to do with levels imo but a bad set up . Any side can be taught better organisation off the ball . Got to say our on the ball set up weren't too good either .

Hopefully Emery will tweak it because it can all turn around quite quickly .

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Welcome back bro.
Thanks! Much appreciated! My profile stopped working about 6 months ago somehow. I just could not log on to the site with any of my devices. Tried all kind of things and ended up with a new user name, which I hardly used. Then went in yesterday with Google Crome after the game on a lark and like a miracle my old profile and name was there. Good times!

:bounce:

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Chelsea looked just as vulnerable and clueless at the back as us tbh, can see Sarri still has a lot of work to do, we consistently found space(in the 1st half) even when we struggled for possession.. The more I think about it the worse this result gets, especially since they didn't even start with their best player. Just have to make up for it in the next few games.

Yup , it was points dropped , like you said the more you think the worse it looks .

Ceballinhos

Cheating on Santi
Not doubting they're quality they have fantastic talent, but you'll find where they dominated us was better organisation . It's unheard of that they dominate us possession wise the way they did for large periods . Yet they did yesty that's down to lack of confidence and players not knowing what to do on our part and an inability to win it back .

What happened yesty had nothing to do with levels imo but a bad set up . Any side can be taught better organisation off the ball . Got to say our on the ball set up weren't too good either .

I don't think they had better organisation tbf.
We could have killed them during the first half their defending was such a **** show :lol:

We were let down once again by individual mistakes.

City scored their 2 goals from the right side.
Chelsea scored 2 from the right side. Even if the 3rd was because of Lacazette's pass, Bellerin was terrible once again. He doesn"t even try to defend on Hazard ffs.
So there's a pattern.

Mustafi and Bellerin are terrible.
And Mkhi doesn't help them enough.

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

We could have killed them during the first half their defending was such a **** show :lol:

Chelsea scored 2 from the right side. Even if the 3rd was because of Lacazette's pass, Bellerin was terrible once again. He doesn"t even try to defend on Hazard ffs.
So there's a pattern.

I really think Iwobi and Lichensteiner on the right would help, both are strong as a bull and work hard. Bellerin has lost so much power and you can tell.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

I think the type of organisation we are trying is very different. Wenger use to get men behind the ball to defend whereas Emery is trying something very different and it will take time. Especially the way he wants us to play out.

When Chelsea dominated possession it's very hard to then turn that around to play out. You need the ball higher up the park to force their team into a deeper position. The third goal was a prime example of that. Lacazette is slack with a pass and just see how many players they have in an advanced position. If Lacazette makes the same pass at the edge of Chelsea area toward the half way line Chelsea aren't in a position to take advantage of it. So yes, you're right it's about confidence. But it's also about ability to take the ball deep in our half and play the right pass, make the right movement so that if a team is on top of us we can play out and exploit the space. And that's about levels. Quality.

And this goal here is a prime example of that quality. Where everything clicked. Chelsea are pressing high but we've slowed it down at the right time then quickened the pace at the right time and they are forced back.
not sure on the Xhaka comment though :lol:

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

So there's a pattern.

First goal was Bellerin vacating his position to press ,2nd goals was that suicidal higline with no pressure on the ball . These are organisationsal issues we can avoid .

Third goal Lacazette should have doubled up with Bellerin against Hazard but then after that Torreira does't track Alonso properly either.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

I think the type of organisation we are trying is very different. Wenger use to get men behind the ball to defend whereas Emery is trying something very different and it will take time. Especially the way he wants us to play out.

When Chelsea dominated possession it's very hard to then turn that around to play out. You need the ball higher up the park to force their team into a deeper position. The third goal was a prime example of that. Lacazette is slack with a pass and just see how many players they have in an advanced position. If Lacazette makes the same pass at the edge of Chelsea area toward the half way line Chelsea aren't in a position to take advantage of it. So yes, you're right it's about confidence. But it's also about ability to take the ball deep in our half and play the right pass, make the right movement so that if a team is on top of us we can play out and exploit the space. And that's about levels. Quality.

And this goal here is a prime example of that quality. Where everything clicked. Chelsea are pressing high but we've slowed it down at the right time then quickened the pace at the right time and they are forced back.
not sure on the Xhaka comment though :lol:

It's true though :lol:.

About the Lacazette goal , it is about quality but unfortunately our quality ball carriers were on the bench ( Özil and Iwobi), there was a open pass to the right too the Lacazette didn't see ,inexplicable.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
I was impressed with their organisation for all but that 30 minute spell + how comfortable the players looked. They are really a month behind ourselves with the new manager, arguably changing their game more & had their best player on the bench.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
Was out being social for a change so didn't watch the game until now, had discipline and stayed of social media to not get spoiled

Cech: it looks like he is uncomfortable playing so much from the feet, but that is Kinda given, going against hardwired routine . Sorta feel a younger more spry Gk would have saved atleast one of the goals

Bellerin: solid, seems to be cutting in more which is great

Mus: Kinda iffy at times but we do need his speed even if isn't that great

Sok: solid and distinctive , would be so awesome with a really Speedy CB or a great ballplayer CB

Nacho: total passanger. Bailed out by Iwobi time and time again.

Xhaka: what did he do that warranted being subbed? 2d half was worse due to him being absent. Even looked like he did the press Emery wants to great success

Guendouzi: off good to great But def off position the whole game both in manmarking and positional sense, of by 5-10 meters and often came late and to the wrong side of his guy . It is like he plays without concerned for his midfield partner

Mkhitharyan: apart from the 10min with the goals totally absent and useless, doesn't help Bellerin out and doesn't make his guy or even runs to be an option

Iwobi: motm easily , great goal, strong awesome close control and runs AND tremendous defensive work

Özil: like the fact that he seems to have listened to Em and presses more, could have had an assist and is always a danger

Auba: some good runs that were wasted but once again I think it is evident he is not a lone striker. Everything he did he could have done from the LW.

Subs:
Torreira shows again why he should start

Ramsey would have been needed the whole game in 3 men midfield , lost out vs chelskis ditto.

Laca regardless of the stupid pass he also showed why we desperatly need him to start with his bettet linkup

Yet again dumbfounding subs, we lost possesion without Xhaka and he takes Özil and Iwobi of?

Dj_sds -

Shocking decision, even if the pass had been accurate he would have put Torreira under a lot of pressure and almost certainly led to him losing the ball, he even had Auba with a lot of space on his left.. I'll forgive him for being done by Hazard, but his effort back was so lazy.

The thing that annoys me is that a simple pass to aubameyang could have set up the counter. But even though he had the time to look up, he already had his mind made up about what he was going to do without analysing the situation properly. I think this is a problem many arsenal players have. Our passing and general play at times lacks purpose. Watching Özil and mkhi press in certain situations i actually wonder if they really want to win the ball or just to press because the manager told them. I think the mental aspects of this arsenal team is emery's biggest obstacle.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
Feels like Emery is doing a misguided powerplay

Subs Xhaka and Özil to show the team who is boss. NOT warranted subs

Mkith was apart from involved in the goals totally absent ffs

Nacho to

Manufactured leadership like that is gonna fail

Polar Bear

Disappointing. The defence looks frails, I'm still seeing the same old frail problems that were under Wenger.

We must beat West Ham next week and kick on from there. Auba needs to step up, he has been awful in both games so far, and I rate him hugely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I still have an interest in training and development, in the stages that make it possible for players first to acquire technique (between 7 and 12) and then to develop physically (between 12 and 16), then to deepen their mental resilience (between 17 and 19) and finally between 19 and 22 to acquire what is critical, like the roof of a house without which all the rest rots away: intelligence and motivation

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom