• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Premier league 2014-15: race for ???????

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

^ Also winning the FA cup will instill a sense of belief in the squad. Success breeds success.

Anzac

Established Member
To sustain our title challenge we need to improve against the top half of the table, as opposed to being 'flat track bullies'.

Last season we only took maximum points off NUFC and Spuds.
Saints was the only top half team we took more than 3 points from, and LFC & Stoke were the only teams we took 3 points from.
We 'won' against 3 of the top10, 'drew' with 2 & 'lost' against the remaining 4 clubs (Citeh, CFC, Everton & ManU).

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

We don't need to win those games not losing them is more important. Ive always maintained that belief and last season we would have won the league doing that

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member
I know its a cliche but you have to lose a title to win one. I feel dropping points unnecessarily when we had opened up a lead last year killed us; the players know this and will be pushing to either close the gap or maintain it this year. Injuries had a part to play but I expect to see more dogged performances when we're up against it this year.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
The league is a long-shot but not unrealistic. I fear Chelsea have strenghtened too much though, and City are still incredible and now have stability with a manager that won the league in his first season. 3rd should be the goal, 4th of course a bare minimum.

The fight for CL spots has never been this competitive.

Shakaking06

Exactly, we definitely have our work cut out for us. City have had the perfect on paper squad with all the quality, depth, and variety one could desire. Chelsea is just about there after a series of productive transfer windows. I think Chelsea has to be the favourites with a comparable manager to ours and a much better squad. I have a slight suspicion that Pelligrini is underrated as is not quite the brand name that Mourinho or Wenger are, he could be as good as those two but at worst is competent to put a proper challenge.
I'm really excited about our squad we may be underdogs but our team has improved markedly qualitywise and depthwise. We may not have the best squad but I think we are close enough to put a proper title challenge( Still would like to see a Giroud replacement the difference between him and Van Persie is really night and day)

Mudi

Max third, maybe second if we manage to buy a proven CDM and CB that are not youngsters.

If you would ask:
Third, last 8 CL and FA cup winners. I would take it right away. Our squad isn't strong enough to win the title or the CL. We need a world class striker, a dynamic CDM and an experienced CB if we want to challenge for the title or CL.

The_Roadrunner

Burned Out
SA Gunner said:
Im not convinced we will last the distance.

As much as improving personnel is important, there are two additional areas which I am concerned about, and if not taken care of, will cost us again.

Opposition preparation and tactical flexibility.
Fitness and proper rotation of our squad.

A quick observation in pre-season for example, the fact that we are still using zonal marking in the box, is a worrying sign for me.

Conversely if we can actively adjust, we could really surprise. Potentially we can win, but realistically we are good enough for a battle for third with one of City or United.

I think a lot depends Shad Forsythe. If Wenger did identify a weakness in our fitness/conditioning that contributed to our leading the injury league table for 10 years then that change in conditioning and fitness program could make a big difference. If we could limit our injuries to just closer to league average even we will have a more fit squad this year than any of the last 10 years.

I think keeping the squad at least as fit as the average PL squad (something we haven't done in years) can also help solve the tactical flexibility as it will give Wenger better options at the business end of the season which we didn't really have last year. Wenger has shown he can be practical with his tactics (like our 2006 CL run) so just have to hope he has gotten that ruthlessness back. Since Wenger has adjusted before (albeit a bit slower than maybe we would like) I hope he can adjust again. This time last year I was just about Wenger-Out. One year can make such a huge difference. Have to hope Wenger is back to the old 2004 vintage.

Also the mentality in this squad has to be light years better than last year at this time. With FA Cup and Shield Trophies, three players who just won the World Cup, a world class signing who had a great World Cup and the mentality surrounding this team is just 180 degrees different approaching our opening game than the "Spend Some F---ing Money" ambiance of last year at this time.

TheLoneFalcon

Cake Addict
Hate to say it, but Liverpool look good, United look revitalized and we all know Chelsea are favourites as things stand. Nothing to do with today, but for some reason I don't think City will do as well this season. Going to be tight.

Buhry

Established Member

With out current squad I think we'll finish top 3. If we can add a good CM, maybe a CB and then hope walcott makes a speedy recovery and sanchez can do a job as CF, then who knows.

We're not winning the league with Arteta and Giroud as 2 of our starters.

The_Roadrunner

Burned Out
TheLoneFalcon said:
Hate to say it, but Liverpool look good, United look revitalized and we all know Chelsea are favourites as things stand. Nothing to do with today, but for some reason I don't think City will do as well this season. Going to be tight.

United played as close to their starting XI as they could against every team in the preseason against teams not playing many key players. It makes sense for LVG to do this as that squad as completely demoralized by Moyes and they need confidence any way they can. But that squad still has more weaknesses than any of the top 4 teams from last year.

Really hope they don't get Di Maria as he would do a lot to improve their attacking options as he could play wide in some formations or play im middle as a centre winger like he did at Real last year.

CurryFlavoured

Established Member
Liverpool look more solid around the pitch than last year but Suarez gone + at least 6 extra games makes me doubtful that they can maintain a title push.

It's looking very interesting at the top. Personally I think it's Chelsea's year but we'll give it a go. Still a CB and a mid needed though.

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member
Chelsea will have problems against teams whop sit deep, just like when we had Fabregas with us tip-tap-tip-tap. City are a threat alright but we are ore solid at the back and probably have a better midfield. Liverpool have lost Suarez and have effectively added Lovren to strengthen the defence but the attack is nowhere near the same. Utd need to strengthen more and haven't been able to.

IMO its going to be tighter than last year and we are much stronger.

Johnny_Blaze

Established Member
Man City are still the team to beat, and Pellegrini has the better mix of tactics than Mourinho. Yaya, Aguero and Silva are comfortably better than anything the chavs have got. The only area they needed to strengthen from last season was the defence, and they've done that. They've got the best team and a squad used to winning the league, so it'd take a choke job from them not to win the title.

We'll finish third or fourth. I could genuinely see us challenging for the title down to the wire if we sign a top CM, but that's looking unlikely. We always seem to go into a season with one or two major holes in the team.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
We cam challenge for the title but this again depends on injures could ruins our hopes. We still need tow more signings to be complete squad that can play in 3 comptitions.

Shakaking06

I don't see United going higher than 3rd. Van Gaal is class but it usually takes a manager at least a season to adjust to the league and his squad, and the fact that he is going with a back 3 something which I don't see working and if It does work will only do so after going through cycles of failures and tweaks. Also don't think he has his ideal squad.

Shakaking06

Mudi said:
Max third, maybe second if we manage to buy a proven CDM and CB that are not youngsters.

If you would ask:
Third, last 8 CL and FA cup winners. I would take it right away. Our squad isn't strong enough to win the title or the CL. We need a world class striker, a dynamic CDM and an experienced CB if we want to challenge for the title or CL.

I wouldn't FA cup is nice, but not if it means conceding any chance( even a longshot at the league or CL). Don't think we will win the CL but even knocked out at semi's would be great. I agree with the listed requirements but even with just another CB I think we can challenge for the league injuries derailed us last season.

Arsenal Quotes

If he sent an apology it must have been by horse

Arsène Wenger on apology from Ferguson

Latest posts

Top Bottom