• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Raul's Transfer Targets: Summer 2019

• Thread starter Aevi
  • Start date
  • Replies 13,667
  • Views 1,471,222

Who would you rather have?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
He wrote an article on the BBC site after the season ended, here's what he said:
Arsenal came close to a deal for PSG midfielder Christopher Nkunku in January, while Adrien Rabiot is another they've pursued in the past - but I've not heard that either are targets this time round.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
Interesting. I'm sure he said after the January transfer window we'd try again in the summer, maybe not tho. Seems silly we don't for that price.
The fact that Mislintat liked him and Wenger was keeping an eye on him when he came through the PSG youth system is intriguing. If he signs, it would actually be because his talent his worth gambling on as opposed to an EOP situation.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Our interest in Nkunku has cooled emery wanted him for short term we are not buying Nkunku to replace ramsey not going to happen

Last edited:

GDeep™

League is very weak
Honestly think it’s bit of an injustice to Japanese talent to always label them a “marketing ploy”.

Clubs sign Japanese players for the same reasons they sign Italians, French, German, African etc.

Look at Arsenal, Inamoto impressed in some tournament, while Myaichi and Asano had interesting abilities as young players.

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

The fact that Mislintat liked him and Wenger was keeping an eye on him when he came through the PSG youth system is intriguing. If he signs, it would actually be because his talent his worth gambling on as opposed to an EOP situation.

We didn't need Nkunku in Jan though so it's strange to me why we'd really go for him then and not now. Perisic made sense because we needed him but didn't want to be stuck with him.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Imagine a few years ago it came out that we were copying Ajax's model, people would absolutely lose their minds. Now Ajax have one good run in the CL after nearly 2 and a half decades of being completely irrelevant and we have to copy them? Not only that but Ajax have a history of producing several top quality players from their academy and even then it's not like it's every single year a new world class talent comes through.

If we're going all in and hoping that Emile Smith-Rowe, Nelson, Willock, Saka, Bielik, Nketiah, Maitland-Niles, etc all become top class and good enough to be starters then it's an incredibly naive way of thinking. Seems to me that we're probably going this route as a money saving exercise rather than it genuinely being a group of a special talents ready made for the first team in the next couple of seasons.

The problem is that Ajax have an unreal scouting network with access to pretty much the entirety of Holland.

We share our city with four other PL teams and lots more in the lower divisions.

The likes of AWB, Hudson-Odoi, Sancho, Nelson, Kane and Rice have all been divided up rather than come through one or two teams.

benjamin86

Established Member
The problem is that Ajax have an unreal scouting network with access to pretty much the entirety of Holland.

We share our city with four other PL teams and lots more in the lower divisions.

The likes of AWB, Hudson-Odoi, Sancho, Nelson, Kane and Rice have all been divided up rather than come through one or two teams.
I agree Ajax get to pick up the best Dutch talents for their academy and it's not something we can do for the reasons you've mentioned. Our model has to be something like RB Liepzig, Dortmund or Monaco. We need to have an extremely good scouting network and buy players 17-23 before they break out. (it seems from the rumours that's what we're trying to do?)

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
We didn't need Nkunku in Jan though so it's strange to me why we'd really go for him then and not now. Perisic made sense because we needed him but didn't want to be stuck with him.
I think if Nkunku had signed in January, he would've played in midfield and Ramsey at 10 as opposed to Ramsey and Özil being in those positions. Could've also been used out wide.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Imagine a few years ago it came out that we were copying Ajax's model, people would absolutely lose their minds. Now Ajax have one good run in the CL after nearly 2 and a half decades of being completely irrelevant and we have to copy them? Not only that but Ajax have a history of producing several top quality players from their academy and even then it's not like it's every single year a new world class talent comes through.

If we're going all in and hoping that Emile Smith-Rowe, Nelson, Willock, Saka, Bielik, Nketiah, Maitland-Niles, etc all become top class and good enough to be starters then it's an incredibly naive way of thinking. Seems to me that we're probably going this route as a money saving exercise rather than it genuinely being a group of a special talents ready made for the first team in the next couple of seasons.
I actually would have been happy. I've been advocating for this type of model since the Invincibles. I was also happy with Project Youth as a concept.

I do believe this group of talents are special, and I'm still very concerned that we will waste their potential by stifling their game time.

Agree with this - I'd add that we're relatively fortunate that London is quite a large city, so while access to talent is highly fought, the talent pool is perhaps more vast than people realize. I think the level/type of coaching, philosophy and pathway to first team football will be the critical edge.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
I actually would have been happy. I've been advocating for this type of model since the Invincibles. I was also happy with Project Youth as a concept.

I do believe this group of talents are special, and I'm still very concerned that we will waste their potential by stifling their game time.

Agree with this - I'd add that we're relatively fortunate that London is quite a large city, so while access to talent is highly fought, the talent pool is perhaps more vast than people realize. I think the level/type of coaching, philosophy and pathway to first team football will be the critical edge.

Agree.

Gotta say that, if Freddie actually manages to finally transform this club for the better, building such a model and securing that our vast pool of big talents remains at the club instead of heading towards the BL, whilst giving them significant game time to develop in the first team, he will have a place in my heart forever.

Ljungberg has done remarkable things for this club as a player, but I'd put this service of his, steering that club to an exciting pastures new again, far beyond that in value.

We need a remarkable personality to revolutionize this club again from within.

There's no leeway to get us out of that misery with the ambition and money we have in the market, if it's not being proactively looking at players that haven't hit the limelight just yet.

But that is not enough, we've got to add to that, with what is at our disposal within our very own academy.

I cannot remember a more promising set of youngster in all of our age groups.
If we dont take advantage of that, we can as well lock it up.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

Mkhi and Kolasinac are costing the club a good £250-300k a week between them. Can’t have squad players on those wages in the position we’re in, especially when they’re both crap.

This is why I pull my hair out when I see people parrot the narrative from the club that we don't have any ****ing money - imagine playing the poor card when you spunk in the range of £1m p/w on the motley crew of Özil, Xhaka, Mustafi, Mkhitaryan and Kolasinac.

Infuriating.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

We've always, always overpaid our squaddies as far as I can remember and it's always been a ****ing nightmare shifting deadwood for this reason. No one wants to take our deadwood because they're wayyyyy overpaid. One of the reasons Liverpool are effective and moving on players is because they have a proper wage structure.

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

Nah I hate this ****. Very punchable face.

vGISC050_400x400.jpg

Agreed. ******.

Reactions: A_G
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Thierry Henry was very quick at analysing everything that was going on and how he needed to react. This intelligence, this capacity to evaluate, understand and question oneself, is also the mark of great players... For everyone, for the fans and for us, he symbolised the golden age of Arsenal.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom