• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Reiss Nelson: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Those two are ballsier and more self-assured, but no more naturally talented than Reiss.
He lacks the self confidence for sure. The jury's still out on his quality though.

When Martinelli and Saka gets the ball, they always want to make something happen. They're not scared. Martinelli gave Walker a torrid time this season.

Nelson on the other hand is scared to take players on and his shooting technical is a bit off. He's good defensively though.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
He lacks the self confidence for sure. The jury's still out on his quality though.

When Martinelli and Saka gets the ball, they always want to make something happen. They're not scared. Martinelli gave Walker a torrid time this season.

Nelson on the other hand is scared to take players on and his shooting technical is a bit off. He's good defensively though.

He didn't look scared the last time we saw him. Closed door games will bring the best out of the young players. It's what they are used to.

Corbulo

I don't think Reiss Nelson will be good enough to start for an Arsenal side that challenges for Premier League and Champions League.

It feels like he's one of those players who drowns in competition rather than thrive. Loves being liked. He'll perpetually be needing confidence boosts, always looking for the next plastic surgery and ending up looking like Mickey Rourke.

Every year there is a hype around three or four players. Easier access to youth games and YouTube highlights has led to people getting carried away with rating young players. You start hearing about players when they're 14-15 years old and when the rave reviews keep coming in, naturally, the hype builds.
When those players eventually fail, there's always someone who starts throwing blame around, ignoring the fact that that's just how football works.

The sky is not the limit for any of us. You can practice long passing all day but you'll never be able to do it like Andrea Pirlo. No amount of training will get you there. Hard work, dedication and all that motivational corporate hot garbage will only get you so far.

Most of these young studs will stagnate because there isn't another level in them once they reach the age when they could legally watch Jenna Jameson's versatility and accents. The lottery ticket buyer will always over-estimate the probability of him/her winning the lottery.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
I don't think Reiss Nelson will be good enough to start for an Arsenal side that challenges for Premier League and Champions League.

It feels like he's one of those players who drowns in competition rather than thrive. Loves being liked. He'll perpetually be needing confidence boosts, always looking for the next plastic surgery and ending up looking like Mickey Rourke.

Every year there is a hype around three or four players. Easier access to youth games and YouTube highlights has led to people getting carried away with rating young players. You start hearing about players when they're 14-15 years old and when the rave reviews keep coming in, naturally, the hype builds.
When those players eventually fail, there's always someone who starts throwing blame around, ignoring the fact that that's just how football works.

The sky is not the limit for any of us. You can practice long passing all day but you'll never be able to do it like Andrea Pirlo. No amount of training will get you there. Hard work, dedication and all that motivational corporate hot garbage will only get you so far.

Most of these young studs will stagnate because there isn't another level in them once they reach the age when they could legally watch Jenna Jameson's versatility and accents. The lottery ticket buyer will always over-estimate the probability of him/her winning the lottery.
Very often we do have top talents coming from our academy and I think we should push for it more than ever before. By top talent, I don't mean Messi or Ronaldo, but a competent PL player or at least someone who can play in the Championship.
Just to mention some of the recent names we've lost like Gnabry, Mallen and Bennacer.
I'm closely following Arsenal youth since the early 2000's and we've had some top players in the academy, and I can also say this was the strongest group since I follow it. We've never had 5 youth players coming at the same time, especially with that talent. That is an amazing achievement from everyone who works at the academy and it's now up to the club and these players to complete the process.
No, I don't think that Nelson is the biggest talent from that group only because his mental attributes are not at that top level. But he can still be a valuable player for us.
I do think that Saka and ESR will be top players, and for Joe and Nketiah it's not that clear but both are still talented.

I agree that people were overconfident about some of the youth players. Last I remember was Jeff Adelaide who was nothing special for u23 but the forum was going crazy about him based on 1 friendly Emirates game.

There is now a gap in the academy and we'll have to wait for 2-3 years before we see anyone coming through

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
Very often we do have top talents coming from our academy and I think we should push for it more than ever before. By top talent, I don't mean Messi or Ronaldo, but a competent PL player or at least someone who can play in the Championship.
Just to mention some of the recent names we've lost like Gnabry, Mallen and Bennacer.
I'm closely following Arsenal youth since the early 2000's and we've had some top players in the academy, and I can also say this was the strongest group since I follow it. We've never had 5 youth players coming at the same time, especially with that talent. That is an amazing achievement from everyone who works at the academy and it's now up to the club and these players to complete the process.
No, I don't think that Nelson is the biggest talent from that group only because his mental attributes are not at that top level. But he can still be a valuable player for us.
I do think that Saka and ESR will be top players, and for Joe and Nketiah it's not that clear but both are still talented.

I agree that people were overconfident about some of the youth players. Last I remember was Jeff Adelaide who was nothing special for u23 but the forum was going crazy about him based on 1 friendly Emirates game.

There is now a gap in the academy and we'll have to wait for 2-3 years before we see anyone coming through
What do you mean by there's a gap? As in there are no super promising kids in the U18s etc this time?

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
What do you mean by there's a gap? As in there are no super promising kids in the U18s etc this time?
There are some at u23 like Balogun and Tyreece JJ, maybe Greenwood, but all 3 of them are forwards and the first team doesn't have space for them atm.
Then there is a gap and we'll have to wait and see how the likes of Patino and Azeez develop.

oh to be a goon

There are some at u23 like Balogun and Tyreece JJ, maybe Greenwood, but all 3 of them are forwards and the first team doesn't have space for them atm.
Then there is a gap and we'll have to wait and see how the likes of Patino and Azeez develop.

But is it really a gap when its just the next group coming through?

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
But is it really a gap when its just the next group coming through?
The next group will need to play 2 years for u18/23. The current u23 group has only some talented forwards, but as I've said already, we don't have open positions for forwards currently so I doubt they will get a chance.

I don't think we will see a single player promoted for the season 20/21

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Interesting perspective.

Have the first few rounds of the Bundesliga restart borne that out?
I'm not sure, but you would think young players would be comfortable in an empty stadium. They tend to thrive in the Europa league due to less pressure and a different set of fans attending the game. More forgiving.

In Germany teams away from home have been doing much better. There are so many factors.

Referees will have no pressure from the crowd. Players will be less able to influence the referee with foul language and such.

Teams that rely on the crowd won't haven't them. Intimidating grounds won't be intimidating. You get the feeling this Arsenal team will do well behind closed doors. We don't handle external pressure well and we don't control the opposition crowd or use our own to our advantage.

I wouldn't be surprised if we are one of the sharpest teams.

Goonger

I'm not sure, but you would think young players would be comfortable in an empty stadium. They tend to thrive in the Europa league due to less pressure and a different set of fans attending the game. More forgiving.

In Germany teams away from home have been doing much better. There are so many factors.

Referees will have no pressure from the crowd. Players will be less able to influence the referee with foul language and such.

Teams that rely on the crowd won't haven't them. Intimidating grounds won't be intimidating. You get the feeling this Arsenal team will do well behind closed doors. We don't handle external pressure well and we don't control the opposition crowd or use our own to our advantage.

I wouldn't be surprised if we are one of the sharpest teams.

With all the Sancho talk I've been thinking about Reiss & came on here to see what's being said. I think your point about Reiss perhaps thriving in games being played behind closed doors is a very interesting one, and one I think (hope) has a large element of truth in it.

It actually perhaps could be a good thing for most of our prospects, a chance to get comfortable & confidence playing in a team with less external pressure. I thinking about ESR & Reiss especially, as they are among the most naturally talented but just sometimes struggle to impose their game still, or play too safe.

Hopefully the fan base will have patience with the young guys, imagine how much a boost it would be (for our finances especially) for Saka, Martinelli, Nketiah, ESR, Reiss and Saliba all round about the 20 year old mark and able to take the place of senior players in the next year or 2.

One thing I would say is I believe we have the best coach for us just now to make that happen.

Oxeki

Trusted ⭐

Reiss Nelson and AMN are the least likely to make it here.

For all the hype that him and AMN gets, you never see it backed up with performances.

The reason we're still patient with him is because he's a local lad. If was from, say, Brazil he'd have been hounded out long ago

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Reiss Nelson and AMN are the least likely to make it here.

For all the hype that him and AMN gets, you never see it backed up with performances.

The reason we're still patient with him is because he's a local lad. If was from, say, Brazil he'd have been hounded out long ago
Sorry, that is simply not true. The only young player who got a real chance at Arsenal over the last 2 years was Douzi, and obviously, he is not a local lad.
Martinelli (from Brazil), had some chances as well, although I would argue that he should've played more because Laca was simply crap.
Saka and AMN played only because of the injuries, and the latter still got a lot of abuse from the fans even though he played out of position.
The rest of them only got scaps in some rubish EL games and garbage time in domestic competitions.
And yeah, I don't think Douzi is more talented than any of our youngsters who joined the first team.

Oxeki

Trusted ⭐

Sorry, that is simply not true. The only young player who got a real chance at Arsenal over the last 2 years was Douzi, and obviously, he is not a local lad.
Martinelli (from Brazil), had some chances as well, although I would argue that he should've played more because Laca was simply crap.
Saka and AMN played only because of the injuries, and the latter still got a lot of abuse from the fans even though he played out of position.
The rest of them only got scaps in some rubish EL games and garbage time in domestic competitions.
And yeah, I don't think Douzi is more talented than any of our youngsters who joined the first team.
The thing is Nelson has had many chances but has simply not taken them. A lot of Arsenal fans obviously want him to succeed but at the end of the day, I don't think he's going to succeed because he lacks that something extra that the other lads have. I hope I'm wrong.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
The thing is Nelson has had many chances but has simply not taken them. A lot of Arsenal fans obviously want him to succeed but at the end of the day, I don't think he's going to succeed because he lacks that something extra that the other lads have. I hope I'm wrong.
He didn't get many chances for sure. He started with Wenger in rubbish games playing wing-back or whatever, went out on loan, and on return, he was never used regularly. A game here and there followed by 5+ games without a single minute, sorry, that's nothing.
Tbh, I don't care that much if he succeeds as he is not the youngster I have high hopes for, but it's wrong to say any of them got a decent chance here.

Oxeki

Trusted ⭐

He didn't get many chances for sure. He started with Wenger in rubbish games playing wing-back or whatever, went out on loan, and on return, he was never used regularly. A game here and there followed by 5+ games without a single minute, sorry, that's nothing.
Tbh, I don't care that much if he succeeds as he is not the youngster I have high hopes for, but it's wrong to say any of them got a decent chance here.
Isn't saka flourishing as a wingback? I don't believe him being played out of position is the reason he's struggling. When he was given chances by Arteta in his favourite position he still put in underwhelming performances.

Since I started watching him, I have never seen him give us an excellent game like Saka or Martinelli. Like I said, I hope I'm wrong. This is not a 'Nelson-bashing post.'

I just feel he doesn't have it in him

Last edited:

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Isn't saka flourishing as a wingback? I don't believe him being played out of position is the reason he's struggling. When he was given chances by Arteta in his favourite position he still put in underwhelming performances.

Since I started watching him, I have never seen him give us an excellent game like Xhaka or Martinelli. Like I said, I hope I'm wrong. This is not a 'Nelson-bashing post.'

I just feel he doesn't have it in him
Saka was trained as a fb so he will have easier time (I actually believe he is much better fb than wing).
I understand your opinion on Nelson, truth is, I'm sceptical about him as well.
I still do feel that there was no structure in developing these players, mostly because first team f*cked it up big time, and because of it, they will have fewer chances.
Nelson is a guy who has the potential to explode, but we don't have that luxury atm to give him that. IMO he needs 10-15 games in a row, half of them would be cr*p but we would have a player after that. Once he starts feeling that he is part of the group, fear would go away and he would be a different player.
We are just making it worse by giving him one game and benching him for the next 5. He doesn't have the mentality to deal with it

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Since I started watching him, I have never seen him give us an excellent game like Xhaka or Martinelli.
And mate, there is a big difference between Xhaka and Saka. Go fix that fast because Saka won't sign that contract if we mix him with that midfield bum

Oxeki

Trusted ⭐

And mate, there is a big difference between Xhaka and Saka. Go fix that fast because Saka won't sign that contract if we mix him with that midfield bum
Damn autocorrect :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

In 1997/98 we became English champions as I had set myself three missions to carry out which I felt were essential. One: to have an impact on the result and the team's playing style. Two: to foster the player's individual development. Three: to strengthen the structure of the club and enhance its global influence.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom