• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Reiss Nelson: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I've hung my hat on a lot of failed prospects and still survived :lol:.

That said, Nelson's arguably the most naturally talented we've produced since Wilshere. If he does fail, that would be significant to me in any event. It would be hard to recover!

Thing is people expect every prospect to fully develop and become world class. The odds are almost always stacked against them.

Even with world renowned academies like Barcelona, Ajax or Valencia, how many of their academy products become even starter quality for a top team?

Just because a player shows top potential at 18 doesn’t mean he’ll ever get there.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Thing is people expect every prospect to fully develop and become world class. The odds are almost always stacked against them.

Even with world renowned academies like Barcelona, Ajax or Valencia, how many of their academy products become even starter quality for a top team?

Just because a player shows top potential at 18 doesn’t mean he’ll ever get there.
Sergi Samper is a good example of the above. It's why I generally have become more and more reluctant to make predictions on who will make it and who won't. (For EG, I did not think Iwobi would play more than 100+ games for us).

I advocate for opportunities but I don't make grand predictions anymore, that died with Chuba Akpom's many failed loans. AMN is probably the last player I predicted making it who still has a chance, and he's made a decent fist of it without actually establishing himself as a starter. I wouldn't even make a prediction about Miguel Azeez, and Arsenal have gone well out of their way to make sure he did not leave, offering him what basically amounts to a 5 year deal out of the gate - no other scholar I can remember has signed such a deal as their first contract.

With Nelson, it would still be a damning indictment on all involved if he did not succeed at Arsenal, not with his natural ability.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Sergi Samper is a good example of the above. It's why I generally have become more and more reluctant to make predictions on who will make it and who won't. (For EG, I did not think Iwobi would play more than 100+ games for us).

I advocate for opportunities but I don't make grand predictions anymore, that died with Chuba Akpom's many failed loans. AMN is probably the last player I predicted making it who still has a chance, and he's made a decent fist of it without actually establishing himself as a starter. I wouldn't even make a prediction about Miguel Azeez, and Arsenal have gone well out of their way to make sure he did not leave, offering him what basically amounts to a 5 year deal out of the gate - no other scholar I can remember has signed such a deal as their first contract.

With Nelson, it would still be a damning indictment on all involved if he did not succeed at Arsenal, not with his natural ability.

Yeah exactly, felt the same way about Ryan Sessegnon. To me he’s still one of the greatest talents I’ve ever seen, before he’d turned 18 he got 15 goals and 6 assists in a season, won the player of the year and was the only Championship player in history to be nominated for PFA young player of the year.

Really if you saw him in that 2017/18 season and imagined where he’d be now you wouldn’t believe it.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
AMN and Reiss have the same mental issues i think.
I don't think they do to be honest.

Nelson seems like a light-hearted personality which obviously translates to quite an expressive game - but a lot would depend on how confident he is. I wouldn't say he's not serious - his rise wouldn't suggest that - but perhaps needs a bit more support in order to get the best out of him.

This is where man-management is important - being able to get the best out of all the players in your squad is such an invaluable skill, and I can see Arteta being the type of personality to do this. I valued his time here as a captain, even when he was past it, because he appeared to be the one galvanizing the players tactically and mentally; it had been a while since we had a captain who did this and I don't think we've had one since.

Arteta's management of Nelson has been noted - he's encouraged him without coddling him too much, and throwing down the gauntlet; mentioning his exploits in the youth team and challenging him to improve. Nagelsmann did this but very often was reluctant to play him. There's been a marked difference in Nelson's overall play since Arteta's come on board and he looks far more comfortable, and it's because he has Arteta's trust. Trust is the key here, for both Nelson and AMN.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Yeah exactly, felt the same way about Ryan Sessegnon. To me he’s still one of the greatest talents I’ve ever seen, before he’d turned 18 he got 15 goals and 6 assists in a season, won the player of the year and was the only Championship player in history to be nominated for PFA young player of the year.

Really if you saw him in that 2017/18 season and imagined where he’d be now you wouldn’t believe it.
Yeah Sessegnon is a big talent still, even now. I think he needs to go back to being a LB personally, simplify his game a bit and rebuild.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
I personally think Nelson's problems are physically related. I don't think we'll see the best of him till he's put on some muscle.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I personally think Nelson's problems are physically related. I don't think we'll see the best of him till he's put on some muscle.
I think it's his problem is mental.

He doesn't quite fancy himself to beat defenders.

Compare him to someone like Saka. Who's brimming with confidence

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
I think it's his problem is mental.

He doesn't quite fancy himself to beat defenders.

Compare him to someone like Saka. Who's brimming with confidence
Let me expand on what I said earlier. I think you're right too. I think it's a physical problem that has affected him mentally. What I mean is that he probably does not trust himself to match up against his peers. Nelson is the smallest out of the Hale End boys. Joe is a unit, ESR is quite big and you mention Saka and I think people downplay his size for his age. Saka while not tall, does have a stocky build and I've seen him several times bump men off the ball. Even Martinelli is quite rugged and is very quick.

Nelson is not that strong or that fast and until he develops in one or the other, I feel like he won't have the confidence to take on people. He was doing it for fun in u23 level.

Yeah Sessegnon is a big talent still, even now. I think he needs to go back to being a LB personally, simplify his game a bit and rebuild.

Isn't he like 19 years old?

I think people need to be more patient with these players. Gnabry for example didn't really get out of hit shell until in the last 1 and 1/2 years at the age 22.

Oxeki

Trusted ⭐

Isn't he like 19 years old?

I think people need to be more patient with these players. Gnabry for example didn't really get out of hit shell until in the last 1 and 1/2 years at the age 22.
He's basically 5 days away from his 20th birthday.

I think he's not ready physically. He gets easily shoved off the ball. He needs to bulk up a bit.

He had the pace and the final ball, all attribute that is essential to a full back

He's basically 5 days away from his 20th birthday.

I think he's not ready physically. He gets easily shoved off the ball. He needs to bulk up a bit.

He had the pace and the final ball, all attribute that is essential to a full back

That gives him still 2 years to fully prove he can transfer his youth potential to seniors IMO!

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I don't think they do to be honest.

Nelson seems like a light-hearted personality which obviously translates to quite an expressive game - but a lot would depend on how confident he is. I wouldn't say he's not serious - his rise wouldn't suggest that - but perhaps needs a bit more support in order to get the best out of him.

This is where man-management is important - being able to get the best out of all the players in your squad is such an invaluable skill, and I can see Arteta being the type of personality to do this. I valued his time here as a captain, even when he was past it, because he appeared to be the one galvanizing the players tactically and mentally; it had been a while since we had a captain who did this and I don't think we've had one since.

Arteta's management of Nelson has been noted - he's encouraged him without coddling him too much, and throwing down the gauntlet; mentioning his exploits in the youth team and challenging him to improve. Nagelsmann did this but very often was reluctant to play him. There's been a marked difference in Nelson's overall play since Arteta's come on board and he looks far more comfortable, and it's because he has Arteta's trust. Trust is the key here, for both Nelson and AMN.
Maybe. or maybe they need to be moved to their natural position.

AMN has almost made it. He is a solid squad player. In fact he has played quite well. Just needs a solid season or two i think.

Reiss (potentially the bigger talent) is some way behind AMN right now. Hopefully Arteta can work his magic on him. Arteta did it with Sterling. I hope he can do the same with Reiss and/or AMN.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
What on earth gives you the position to say that :lol: do you know them personally?

From the outside in they seem like quite different people.
Well, they have the talent, but they are very indiffernt on the pitch. Which can be a good thing later on probably but not now.

nick gould

He was doing fine on the right wing when Arteta started but with no end product. He seem to suffer from Iwobi syndrome when he gets near the opposition goal. Like iwobi, his first touch and ability to find space between the lines is brilliant. The boy is one of the best at England under 21 so I think it's a confidence issue.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
This wider situation could somehow be to the benefit of Nelson next season. Finances are tight, the club will use their young players even more. Arteta already likes him apparently. I'm sure he'll get plenty of minutes next season.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
This wider situation could somehow be to the benefit of Nelson next season. Finances are tight, the club will use their young players even more. Arteta already likes him apparently. I'm sure he'll get plenty of minutes next season.
If that happens, it will be his only real chance with us. He needs to impress and stop hiding behind his youth label.

Oxeki

Trusted ⭐

Don't think he'll make it here. He's just coasting on his junior reputation. I'm not convinced by him.

Players like Saka and Martinelli on the other hand are genuine quality

Brett

Reiss will be alright. He is good. Next season will be key though, might be his turn to have a season like saka has had.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

No one could have imagined for a single second that he would come to us. Only David Dein, Sol, his agent, and I knew what was going on. When I called a press conference to announce the arrival of a new player, and Sol Campbell walked into the room full of journalists, it was a bombshell.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom