• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Ryan Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.

hollow

asajoseph said:
hollow said:
asajoseph said:
Oh, and a couple more things - Walcott will not be a winger at Arsenal, unless he fails to live up to his potential. He's a striker, and if Wenger's got any sense (which he obviously has), he won't muck about with the guy at this stage in his career. So let's stop talking about Walcott 'competing for a position on the wing' - he's really not.

Secondly, another thing I like about Ryan Smith is that he was actually scouted very late (I believe, although I could be wrong about this) - he was actually spotted playing in the park with his mates, rather than through any kind of youth, under-5's team... If he'd made it at Arsenal, it'd have been a bit of a fairy-story really...

Thing is when we signed him and Arsène was asked where will he play he answered 'Up front in a 4-4-2 and on the right in a 4-3-3. Seeing as he has never made an appearance for us, isn't it fair to say you're emulating Myles Palmer (who I think you've mentioned you dislike) by stating your personal opinion as fact.

On the right in a 4-3-3 is still very much a forward's, not a winger's role - and since when have Arsenal ever played 4-3-3 anyway?

Stating my opinion as fact? I think, taken in context, it was fairly obvious that I was stating my oppinion. But I think it's an oppinion based upon common sense, and just a little fact - if you disagree, it's no problem, just so long as you can justify yourself.

Asa

Fair enough. I can see a little Wiltord in Walcott though. Somehow I don't think he'll end up playing as a true striker for us.

asajoseph

Established Member
I think it's a little too early to say that about Walcott - what is it exactly that makes you see 'Wiltord' in him? Just out of interest...

The reason Wiltord played a lot on the wing (other than the fact that we were too short there) was mainly that he basically didn't understand the offside rule - the number of our attacks that broke down because he was caught in offside positions was a joke (ok, that's not the only reason, but it got on my nerves a lot...). Personally, Walcott's pace, technique and finishing flair all look superior to Wiltord, but I'd be interested to hear why you compare the two.

Ratinho

Established Member
I agree with Hollow a bit, which is a good thing. Wiltord basically massively underrated at Arsenal, and we've missed him ever since. Theo turning into that kind of inside-right/forward/striker is fine by me.

Do the young uns know what an inside-right is? :lol:

asajoseph

Established Member
Oh, and as for Wiltord... He was another one of those enigmatic players - he'll never be remembered as particularly great, because he spent such long periods being ****. Scored some very important goals, and did play some great games, but spent plenty of time just doing bugger all too. Wiltord was a striker when we signed him (as far as I recall), and is a striker now - and a much better one than we ever saw at Arsenal. The fact that we weren't really ever able to get the best out of him was, to some extent, a failure.

Personally, I think Walcott has more potential than Wiltord ever had (and yes, that's baring in mind that Wiltord has actually been pretty good since he left), and in my eyes has a game far more akin to Henry's than Sylvain's...

Arsenal1508

Mods are unethical! Özil, come assist me please!
asajoseph said:
Oh, and as for Wiltord... He was another one of those enigmatic players - he'll never be remembered as particularly great, because he spent such long periods being s**t. Scored some very important goals, and did play some great games, but spent plenty of time just doing bugger all too. Wiltord was a striker when we signed him (as far as I recall), and is a striker now - and a much better one than we ever saw at Arsenal. The fact that we weren't really ever able to get the best out of him was, to some extent, a failure.

Yup, for the most part...Wiltord was absolute **** for us. He wasn't a winger yet Wenger consistently used him on the right wing. He may have score a few important goals for us (the one against ManU comes to mind), but he was absolute **** in his last season with us.

That's when everyone started to call him Wiltoad and were wanting Aliadiere to get a chance (never did as Wenger was too stubborn, and when was about to get his chance...he got injured).

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
I thought Sylvain was a disgrace in his last season for us. Couldn't wait to see the back of him. Still don't miss him.

Rohit

Established Member
Well,based on tonight and another such performance there won't be many left who'll want the thread to be re-opened ;)

oba101

You all don't seem to think he will be good for the future. If Fabregas had been treated this way, what would you all have said?
I think there is still time to develop his weak areas, so stop complaining. He might turn out to be an important player in the future. Watch him.

ramon12

Smith sounds crap but could be excellent so you may never know remember a certain Thierry Daniel Henry

longrufus

Established Member
Talking about when he lost the ball on the right, didnt track back, and the cross resulted in a goal and proceeded to laugh? Or was that at highbury? :wink:

Or maybe your talking about the goal which won the league :D

KY

Established Member
maxxspeed said:
Some of you people act like he was this great talent, that every body could see. He wasn't, when he was at Leicester City half the season he spent on the bench, if he was so great why was he on the bench.

actually if you had followed his progress a bit closer, you would have realised that he was benched not for his performances. he was brilliant there for a while. Then he was benched because a new coach came in. If i remember correctly anyways. He mentioned it in an interview. he was benched ever since a new coach replaced micky adams(?...not too sure.) who brought him in in the first place. And if i remember correctly, even wenger rates him quite highly too. Shame about his injuries though.
I have a bad memory for details. can only remember the main story. someone pick up the pieces for me?

and another thing. THE only thing i regreted about wiltord is that he came on a club record fee and left on a free.after only ONE contract :shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I think without doubt that Bergkamp is the most talented player to have played for Arsenal in the past 30 years, for as long as I can remember

Liam Brady
Top Bottom