• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Ryan Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thai Gunner

KY said:
THE only thing i regreted about wiltord is that he came on a club record fee and left on a free.after only ONE contract :shock:

Yeah, I agree. I bet Wenger still has to get up at night from time to time when he sees Wiltord in his dreams. :shock: :mrgreen: :x

hollow

asajoseph said:
I think it's a little too early to say that about Walcott - what is it exactly that makes you see 'Wiltord' in him? Just out of interest...

The reason Wiltord played a lot on the wing (other than the fact that we were too short there) was mainly that he basically didn't understand the offside rule - the number of our attacks that broke down because he was caught in offside positions was a joke (ok, that's not the only reason, but it got on my nerves a lot...). Personally, Walcott's pace, technique and finishing flair all look superior to Wiltord, but I'd be interested to hear why you compare the two.

For some reason I just don't think he'll end up a striker for us (furthest man forward). In the same way as Wiltord's skillset and the fact that we had other options up front landed him on the right. Just a hunch.

asajoseph

Established Member
Eh, well I can't really argue with a hunch, other than to state that I think it's wrong... I feel that Walcott has a far better goalscoring ability than Wiltord did (or Reyes does), and that should mean that forward opportunities will come his way more easily.

But, next season, I suspect we'll see...

kashif_wattoo

Ryan Smith should not leave just yet, he is the only natural left-winger after Bobby i think, reyes is not and neither is Rosicky. Freddie is a right-winger but does play sometimes at left. So, Smith can give sufficient cover there IF we don't bring a left-winger, which i am quite sure we won't.

He looked bright in FA cup (or was that carling cup) with leicester and seemed a ral nice boy. He should defiently spend the next year at Arsenal.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
i think he means those pacy wingers that runs to touchline to cross like giggs

KY

Established Member
kind of reminds me of the last arsenal left wing reject, jerome thomas.

Thai Gunner

KY said:
kind of reminds me of the last arsenal left wing reject, jerome thomas.

But Wenger never raved about Jerome Thomas the way he did with Smith.....as far as I remember......plus Thomas didn't really leave us until he's 21 or 22.

Artillero

With Pires now in Spain he may get a couple of chances but if Leeds put in a decent bid I think we will sell.

ultimus

why people doesn't expect this coming is beyond me. Or maybe they still don't know, whoever get loaned will get shipped out sooner or later. oh yeah, they still have this mentality of loaning them out means to give them more experience. stop being ignorant, Wenger loan them out to improve their market price.. not giving them experience.

you will never see Walcott, Clichy, Flamini, or even Bendtner be loaned out. The truth hurts...

choi12911

RockyRocastle said:
pha2er said:
cole was loaned out to crystal palace.

And would have been sold if Silvinho didnt have a dodgey passport.

Yeah chances are rare and hard to come by, but it's those youngsters who grab their chances are the ones who cement their place in Arsenal's starting XI. Remember Eboue vs Real Madrid away? How he ran past Robinho, Zidane and Carlos to get finally rugby tackled by Ramos? Remember how daring he was when he was defending against supposed the best talents in the world?

Until that game, there were quite a few people here preferring Lauren and Gilbert more. But after that game and Juventus games, Arsenal fans, including most football pundits, were praising his name 24/7.

So if Smith wants to make it in Arsenal, he will just have to wait for his chance and when it comes, grab it and don't ever look back.

Ricky_AFC

I'm hoping Ryan stays put. Of all our young talent he is one of the people i want to make it the most. He has great skill and touch and has a lot of potential.

Being a local lad growing up just around the corner from highbury means a lot to me too, others might not care about where the players are from but personally an English player who grew up supporting Arsenal gives him an edge over the rest to me.

ultimus

by the way, cole was loaned out for mere 3 months. and Wenger raved about Quincy, Jeffers, Volz, and many other Arsenal rejects.

Thai Gunner

ultimus said:
by the way, cole was loaned out for mere 3 months. and Wenger raved about Quincy, Jeffers, Volz, and many other Arsenal rejects.

As far as I remember, Wenger never said that the reserve games were too easy for Quincy, Jeffers, Volz or any other Arsenal rejects......

flaunt

I don't think Ryan Smith's talent has ever been questioned. He has the ability to make it at any club - much less Arsenal.

So the factor that comes into play is his physical ability - is he strong enough, quick enough, fit enough etc. things that can be measured by a stop watch and scrimmages. Perhaps Ryan isn't measuring up in that regard - that he isn't improving as greatly physically to match Arsène's tactics.

Or perhaps Wenger feels Ryan is still mentally effected by the broken leg he suffered a season or so back.

Corny

RockyRocastle said:
pha2er said:
cole was loaned out to crystal palace.

And would have been sold if Silvinho didnt have a dodgey passport.

Sorry I can't agree with that at all.

The coaches said Cole would be in the team soon at Arsenal whilst on loan to Palace, they actually bid for him at least once and it was over a million.

There is no way Arsenal wanted to sell, Cole came through at a time he was proving he could overtake Silvinho. Wenger saw that potential, if Silvinho stayed Wenger would have just flogged him later anyway.

Proof of which is this:

HAVE YOU EVER SEEN A PLAYER LEAVE THAT WENGER REGRETS??

When people say "Ow he's gone on loan, bye" it really shows how ignorant they as fans are. A loan is an important stepping stone for any youngster, if you are good enough you make it, if not you get moved on.

Most young players near the right quality go on loan, if they do well and show they are miles better than the class of that division then they havea big chance, only Cole really has shone on loan and therefore proved himself good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

What is unbelievable is that I am in a position where people reproach me for making a profit. The people who lose money – nobody says a word.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom