• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Samuel Eto'o

Jinn

Established Member
You really shouldn't judge a player on a World Cup. Gilberto is proof of that.

JazzG

Established Member
He is good but ever since he put on that super show at the Bernabau (when Mallorca won 5-1) he has been so hyped up....

I'd be shocked if we had that much money as well! If we do have that much money then surely we can raise £5-£10mill or so more and try to go for Reyes, Joaquin or Van der Vaart!

Andrew

JazzG said:
He is good but ever since he put on that super show at the Bernabau (when Mallorca won 5-1) he has been so hyped up....

I'd be shocked if we had that much money as well! If we do have that much money then surely we can raise £5-£10mill or so more and try to go for Reyes, Joaquin or Van der Vaart!

Well at least we know the potential's there. And he's got the pace and skill as well. Henry wasn't so good at Juve but Wenger turned him into a great player. And at the time the 10 million pound fee looked quite expensive.

JazzG

Established Member
Wenger had worked with Henry so he knew exactly what Henry is like.

£14mill is way too much for him imo, we could go for superior players for abit more......

johe

Maybe Wenger sees something in him.
Still, I doubt this is true, I don't think Wenger would spend that much for Etoo, more like £8-10mill

PolishGooner

Mark said:
i don't really think this is true, wenger said he wasn't keen on spending too much i doubt he'd suddenly go and spend £14 million.
why not? He spent a lot of money for loosers like Jeffers or van bronckhorst and he know we need good striker. We dont have good young strikers who could play in first team

Valleyman

PolishGooner said:
Mark said:
i don't really think this is true, wenger said he wasn't keen on spending too much i doubt he'd suddenly go and spend £14 million.
why not? He spent a lot of money for loosers like Jeffers or van bronckhorst and he know we need good striker. We dont have good young strikers who could play in first team
Kluivert is available for £1.5 million, and he's arguably better than Eto'o

Webdesignlab

Established Member
Valleyman said:
PolishGooner said:
Mark said:
Kluivert is available for £1.5 million, and he's arguably better than Eto'o

Yeah Kluivert is my best bet. He would cost a lot less, even in the long run.

Robno.7

imo isn't eto'o 22? coz if so he still has a long time till he is at his peek. what i've heard of he is a decent goalscorer. Have we not got the money for the nike deal through yet? does anyone know?

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
Mark said:

The press always go ott with fees. I think the fee would be closer to £10m.

JGooner

i doubt AW would pay £14m for a player who, however talented, has not yet proved himself as a stone cold world class striker on a consistent basis. £14m is not far away from Van Der Vaart teritory, and there's no doubt who the better player is.

lewdikris

Established Member
I don't think Van Der Vaart has proved himself a world class player yet. I really don't. He's surprisingly variable in the dutch league - and neither Ajax or Holland have really fired as they might when he's been at the hub this year.

Talking about Eto'o or VDV is talking about world class potential - and I have no doubts Eto'o has all the potential to be one of the best. He's better at 22 than Titi was. He'll cost 10-12 i'd guess, and as i've said many times i'd take him over any comparable player about.

JazzG

Established Member
VdV isn't world class, he will be but certainly isn't right now, he is only 20 years old. You gotta prove yourself on the highest level to be world class, he certainly isn't in a position to do that.

He has 9 goals this season and scored 18 in the league last season which is very good considering he isn't their main striker. I've seen him against very good players and he looks a top player in the making. Problem is he will cost over £20mill, probably close to £25mill.

Eto'o is good but has been over-hyped due to a few good games imo. He just about pace, how would he cope against a top defender who can cancel that out. Henry in recent times has learned that sometimes his pace won't get him past players, can Eto'o do the same?

PolishGooner

JGooner said:
i doubt AW would pay £14m for a player who, however talented, has not yet proved himself as a stone cold world class striker on a consistent basis. £14m is not far away from Van Der Vaart teritory, and there's no doubt who the better player is.

why not? he paid 11M for player who has not yet proved himself, he paid for some ulesess guy from Rangers - also 11M. Or 7M for Edu

kajej

The question is, what kind of forward does Wenger want? A target man or another Henry type of player.

Arsenal316

I think Wenger can do better than Eto. 14 million? There are plenty of good people out there that can be had at the right time, under the right circumstances.....

If this is the best he can do now....I'm a little disappointed.

Andrew

I think Eto'o for 14 million is just about right. Especially considering the type of transfer fees that Chelsea can come up with these days. Eto'o would only blossum at Arsenal, and he already is quite a player. That price tag would be justified after a couple of years.

But it is quite funny, everyone was calling for a new striker... now there's a report that we're going to sign a hugely talented one and some of us are upset... Well, no matter what I don't think Wenger can win.

Webdesignlab

Established Member
Andrew said:
But it is quite funny, everyone was calling for a new striker... now there's a report that we're going to sign a hugely talented one and some of us are upset... Well, no matter what I don't think Wenger can win.

This is true actually. I think it's the price tag. We thought we might get 2 or 3 players for that.

Sounds a lot for a 'potential' to a lot of us. I really doubt that it is
a) True
b) If it is true ... that the ammount is correct.
c) If Eto'o does sign for us I will welcome him with open arms, he is a great striker. However I hope it is Kluivert or Reyes instead. They are different to what we already got. Eto'o is a great 'more of the same' player.

Arsenal Quotes

In 1997/98 we became English champions as I had set myself three missions to carry out which I felt were essential. One: to have an impact on the result and the team's playing style. Two: to foster the player's individual development. Three: to strengthen the structure of the club and enhance its global influence.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom