• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Santi Cazorla: My Friend, Is Adios, No?

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NotAUserName

I have never been a fan of Santi in a midfield two. Still, it is manageable when you play him next to someone like Coq and a central midfielder on the right (Ramsey) to provide additional cover.

However, this new system where Wenger is trying to turn Cazorla into Pirlo by playing him deeper than even Coquelin is going to be very problematic for us. Other than the fact that Coquelin is not great higher up the pitch, we simply do not have the proper personnel or tactics in place to afford Cazorla deeper. We hardly press and even when we do it is disjointed, our positioning off the ball is haphazard and we also lack individual ball winners who can also support our attack.

This was one of the main reasons we lacked any sort of control against PSG. We had Coquelin higher up the pitch but you can't expect him to excel there since he is not the creative type. Then PSG had no trouble getting at our defense after beating our press since Cazorla was the one sitting in front of them. I understand why Wenger would make such a change but we simply don't have the structures in place to carry it out.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
I have never been a fan of Santi in a midfield two. Still, it is manageable when you play him next to someone like Coq and a central midfielder on the right (Ramsey) to provide additional cover.

However, this new system where Wenger is trying to turn Cazorla into Pirlo by playing him deeper than even Coquelin is going to be very problematic for us. Other than the fact that Coquelin is not great higher up the pitch, we simply do not have the proper personnel or tactics in place to afford Cazorla deeper. We hardly press and even when we do it is disjointed, our positioning off the ball is haphazard and we also lack individual ball winners who can also support our attack.

This was one of the main reasons we lacked any sort of control against PSG. We had Coquelin higher up the pitch but you can't expect him to excel there since he is not the creative type. Then PSG had no trouble getting at our defense after beating our press since Cazorla was the one sitting in front of them. I understand why Wenger would make such a change but we simply don't have the structures in place to carry it out.

And Pirlo was always way more of a scraper then Cazorla ever was

and always played next to monsters

carlito'sway

Established Member
but those stats only speak to his anticipation, positioning not his physical traits

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/4522/Show/Santi-Cazorla
Ramsey got him beat (EC stats)

What Ramsey stats? The guy only played 1/2 a game this year...
Anticipation, positioning are the traits of intelligent footballers...Not running around like headless chicken.
Anyway, physical traits seem to be the point of reference for you, I guess we should have brought Wanyama! :lol:

RUS arsenal

Established Member
If Özil had Cesc's or DB10's goal scoring ability then that formation might have legs. Too many uncertainties for me but I'd try it in game of we answer manage to thrash anyone.
That's true, though Özil has teased us with flashes of goal scoring ability. If only he could learn to do it consistently, what a monster would he be!

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
It might work against lesser teams but we will get eaten up by more physical dominating sides

I get nervous for him when defending

Not saying I don't like the guy, I do but I don't think we should burden him with a CM spot anymore and excpect miracles?
same. I'd prefere a bigger or more mobile person in C(D)M.

he is playing in such a vital position. I'd even prefer Iwobi and Caz to be swapped. If you check his heatmap, he's a CM, almost behind Coquelin, which is ridiculous because his abilities are further up the field.

Attachments

• santi.png
    santi.png
    56.2 KB · Views: 10

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
What Ramsey stats? The guy only played 1/2 a game this year...
Anticipation, positioning are the traits of intelligent footballers...Not running around like headless chicken.
Anyway, physical traits seem to be the point of reference for you, I guess we should have brought Wanyama! :lol:

EC stats as I wrote

RUS arsenal

Established Member
same. I'd prefere a bigger or more mobile person in C(D)M.

he is playing in such a vital position. I'd even prefer Iwobi and Caz to be swapped. If you check his heatmap, he's a CM, almost behind Coquelin, which is ridiculous because his abilities are further up the field.
Iwobi has no defensive ability to speak of at the moment so let's not indulge in fantasy.

RUS arsenal

Established Member
Santi had none, and look at him now.

He is just too offensive for a two man midfield.
I disagree. Just because he didn't showcase it when he was playing in the #10 role doesn't mean he didn't have the ability. Santi was always a scrapper and he sees the pitch extremely well and can read the play. Those are all qualities of a good CM. It is true he is limited by size so he needs someone like Coq next to him in order for the midfield to work but it is no surprise that he adapted very quickly. Not to mention that he always had good balance, low center of gravity and immense lower body strength.

Unfortunately time doesn't wait for anybody and he will probably only be able to play at this level for another couple of years max but until then he is our best midfielder be it against Hull or Barcelona as long as we utilize him correctly and don't run him into the ground.

As for Iwobi, he might be able to improve his defensive side of the game, however, it will take him years to polish that. Trying to fit him at CM would be too suicidal even for Wenger.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I disagree. Just because he didn't showcase it when he was playing in the #10 role doesn't mean he didn't have the ability. Santi was always a scrapper and he sees the pitch extremely well and can read the play. Those are all qualities of a good CM. It is true he is limited by size so he needs someone like Coq next to him in order for the midfield to work but it is no surprise that he adapted very quickly.
That is exactly why we cannot fit him at CM. Even Bayern surround Alonso with huge players. How can Arsenal expect him to control games when he is constantly getting pushed?

Cazorla is a fantastic player, but we have a two man Midfield, and we need hugely versatile players, something like Ramsey and El-Nenny.

As for Iwobi, he might be able to improve his defensive side of the game, however, it will take him years to polish that. Trying to fit him at CM would be too suicidal even for Wenger.
yes it would, but Iwobi is better suited, and will be a better fit. Not that I want him to start at Chelski as a CM.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
It'll be interesting to see if we are able to make better use of counters if Xhaka replaces him. Cazorla, while generally great, kills so many opportunities by taking 3-4 extra touches.

I think it would of been harsh to send him off for the three fouls he did, don't know why MOTD gave it so much attention.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
It'll be interesting to see if we are able to make better use of counters if Xhaka replaces him. Cazorla, while generally great, kills so many opportunities by taking 3-4 extra touches.

I think it would of been harsh to send him off for the three fouls he did, don't know why MOTD gave it so much attention.
they're assholes. Even in the ManUre match, they started fawning over that last gasp goals and Fergie time, and how it would be 'uncomfortable' for Mourinho to lose three in a row.

If it was AFC, they would have brutalised every player.

ksarp

Our best midfield pairing is Coq and Zorla..period.

All Wenger has done is inverted the pressure origination when we are in defensive transition, which in my opinion is brilliant( disrupt attacks in their formative stages) . Coq sits higher for that and Zorla can initiate deep.

Ransey / Neny ? Still hanging unti the idea that Ramsey is an 8? Neny lacks the instinct and combativeness of a Coq.

Xhaka---well we know Wenger hesitates to start him, most likely because he wants him as an 8 and right now, he just isn't ready. I happen to to think this whole inverted 6/8 with Coq and Zorla is for his benefit as he will take over from Santi eventually .

pikey2000

The problem with our team at the moment is not the Santi-Coq duo, nor the way they have been reversed so that Coq is further forward with Santi deep, the problem is that Coq and to a degree Sanchez are the only players pressing the opposition high up the pitch which means the opponent can easily evade our press and then exploit Santi sitting deep.

I think Wenger see’s his side as having a lot more mobility with Sanchez up top rather than Giroud and has instructed the high press hence Coq pushing forward, problem is until the likes of Theo, Iwobi and Özil join the high press we will continue to get exploited when the high press doesn’t result in us winning the ball back, which is more often than not when we don’t press as a unit.

HollandGooner

Established Member

Player:Ødegaard
The problem with our team at the moment is not the Santi-Coq duo, nor the way they have been reversed so that Coq is further forward with Santi deep, the problem is that Coq and to a degree Sanchez are the only players pressing the opposition high up the pitch which means the opponent can easily evade our press and then exploit Santi sitting deep.

I think Wenger see’s his side as having a lot more mobility with Sanchez up top rather than Giroud and has instructed the high press hence Coq pushing forward, problem is until the likes of Theo, Iwobi and Özil join the high press we will continue to get exploited when the high press doesn’t result in us winning the ball back, which is more often than not when we don’t press as a unit.

I Agreed if you decide to go for a pressing system if we lose the ball, you need to press with all eleven players not only 4 or 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

My first ever football memory was Charlie George's double winning goal in 71. After that game; I just became an Arsenal fan.

Paul Davis

Daily Transfer Updates

Monday, May 3

Marco Silva is pushing the Fulham board to spend as Arsenal prepare to listen to offers for Emile Smith Rowe, among other fringe players [Evening Standard]

New Fenerbache manager Jose Mourinho is determined to stop Arsenal from signing LB Ferdi Kadıoğlu [TBR Football]

Latest posts

Top Bottom