• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Sergej Milinkovic-Savic

Status
Not open for further replies.

DuBB

He's very good, but if you don't watch Lazio games he's probably different than many imagine. I did a rough breakdown of his style in another thread.

If I can find it, I'll copy and paste it here...

DuBB

Here's my monday morning quarterback take on SMS's percieved style I posted in November:

"Stat radars are cool, but I understand that they are only a sliver of what a club looks at when considering a player.

The position a player plays in for his current club, combined with the things he's asked to do in that system in comparison with his teammates or the tactical setup are not always a barometer of what a player is either good at, or what they are limited to.

For example, I watch a lot of full Serie A matches, in particular I watch Lazio matches if they're ever on, specifically to watch Milinkovic-Savic, and I have done for about 3-4 years now since the hype train began.

I'm no scout, but I've noticed things about SMS's game that sometimes make me feel like he's overrated, but I wouldn't ever say that he is because I'm not a scout. So the things I notice don't really matter because I'm just a casual.

But for example, to me, he seems a bit sluggish, and he only really springs into action when he has the ball. He's not the quickest running back or running forwards, but when he has the ball it's almost like he suddenly 'activates' his agility and mobility. Not to say he doesn't move because he moves a lot, be it's always at a consistent jog - backwards and forwards.

Another thing I've noticed which might be a trait, or might be tactical, is he doesn't ever bust a lung to get in the box, even when they counter. He passes the ball and almost always 'trails' the play. As Lazio move forward, he moves forward, but he's almost always behind the ball and not trying to make third man runs. Always available for a pass, and by the time they're at the box, he's always well placed to get it at the edge/outside of the box...

So those might be a traits, or they might be tactical."

I watched Empoli vs. Lazio on Sunday and pretty much everything I said above applied in that game too.

Also would note, he plays basically glued to the right hand side of the midfield 3 (like Ode). Again, maybe tactical, or maybe something that is done because it's a strength for him.

Also... great quick interchange passer. Has the stature of Partey, the lean strength to bully people on and off the ball more like Xhaka, but the quick zipped one-two passing of Ode, rocket of a right foot for long shots (he hit the post against Empoli) and the ability and desire to get to headers in the box like a CB.

Silky but weirdly rugged, mobile but not sprightly and agile.

TH14shahriar

A gentle soul
He's very good, but if you don't watch Lazio games he's probably different than many imagine. I did a rough breakdown of his style in another thread.

If I can find it, I'll copy and paste it here...
He seems like a player that would be good at the number 6 position imo. What do you think?

DuBB

He seems like a player that would be good at the number 6 position imo. What do you think?

Would be damn near unstoppable and devastating in Xhaka's position. Like, if we got him now and he started every league game, with the way we play he'd get 10 goals by the end of the season with 5+ assists.

Could do a job at #6, but he's not the heir apparent to Partey. It would be a waste to play him there, but I'd rather have him there than Elneny.

Sapient Hawk

Can You Smell What The Hawk Is Cooking?
Trusted ⭐

Also cant believe he already 28 in February. So this summer it might be last chance he move to bigger club

If he tries to get a move here, with a player of Albanian heritage chief amongst the senior players, it might be the last move of his life, let alone career :lol:

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
I find it difficult to see lazio will let him go now they pushing for CL football but very likeky in summer he'll leave with 1 year left in his contract

DuBB

Whether or not there's anything substantial in the transfer rumours, I will say that SMS is exactly who I picture upgrading that left #8 position.

Our squad is so filled with gravitational players (Saka, Martinelli, Ode... players who draw double teams) that a player like SMS ghosting around and into the box in place of Xhaka could be absolutely devastating.

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

Absolutely zero chance he’s coming to us if Juve are involved.

Entire league just sells to Juve and his national teammate is there already.

Thoughts on SMS, Rice, Partey & Pantino as our CM options for next year boss?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

It is well known the referees are protected very well like the lions in the zoo so we have to live with their decisions

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom