• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Squad Analysis 2017/18

Ricardinho

La Liga Correspondent
don't expect an overhaul.

obvious departures are Mertesacker, Perez, Jenkinson and Akpom. I would love to see Mustafi shown to door, but that will depend on the suitors and price. Wilshere might be cut as well since he's not signing the offer on table and we're not going to bend over for his wages after years of injury.

Expect a CM, RB and CB to come in and promotion of a number of youths.

Feel like the board will definitely use this as an opportunity to trim the squad.

You've got fringe players that will no doubt be unwanted:
Martinez
Akpom
Asano
Campbell
Jenkinson

Players retiring/out of contract:
Per
Wilshere
Cazorla

Depending on replacements:
Cech or Ospina
Welbeck or Perez

Then a batch of players that the club will probably listen to serious offers for if the transfer kitty needs a boost:
Kolasinac
Mustafi
Bellerin
Xhaka
Laca

MustOezil

Then a batch of players that the club will probably listen to serious offers for if the transfer kitty needs a boost:
Kolasinac
Mustafi
Bellerin
Xhaka
Laca

bit harsh on Bellerin and Laca imo. Hector is still developing and Lacazette only had one season in the premier league

Ricardinho

La Liga Correspondent
bit harsh on Bellerin and Laca imo. Hector is still developing and Lacazette only had one season in the premier league

Not saying I want them to go just that I believe the board may sacrifice them if an offer is too good to turn down. Big money for laca would allow the new man to strengthen elsewhere instead of having £100m+ tied up in two strikers that might not start together that much.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
I think this squad is pretty poor in terms of depth and quality. We need a GK,backup RB,2 starting CB's and a CDM. We quite clearly can't afford too many holes in the squad and we need a much better match day bench. I think we trimmed our squad quite well in January but we need a massive cull in the summer and a cold,hard examination of the first team and the youth squad. After years of rumours about Wenger's refusal to spend,a pre sales budget of less than £175m tells me we will struggle to sign our first/second choice targets.

HBL

Established Member
Hopefully 8-10 leave and we bring in four or five, with the remainder of the squad being made up by youth players.

Ricardinho

La Liga Correspondent
Nacho will be gone in a season or two so LOL at people who want to sell Kolasinac after just one season!

Reportedly on 120-140k a week so the board/new manager might look at it and think those funds are better used elsewhere rather than on a backup LB that might or might not be good enough to eventually replace Nacho. I'd like him to get another year but gotta think about different scenarios.

benjamin86

Established Member
Reportedly on 120-140k a week so the board/new manager might look at it and think those funds are better used elsewhere rather than on a backup LB that might or might not be good enough to eventually replace Nacho. I'd like him to get another year but gotta think about different scenarios.
With Mert retiring and Kos injury problems and aging i wonder if we'll start using Nacho at CB again? He's always played well there.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
We need a new spine

Hopefully the new manager recognises this and acts quickly in the market

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

We will soon find out if those who think the squad over or under performed are correct. I'm with the former and know we will see improvements from the vast majority of our players.

HBL

Established Member
Players that I’d sell:

Mustafi
Ospina
Perez
Campbell
Jenkinson
Akpom
Martinez
Asano
Bramall etc

Players that I’d sell if we got a decent offer:

Welbeck
Chambers
Holding (possibly loan)
Elneny
Iwobi (possibly loan)

Players I’d keep

Cech (as more of a mentor)
Koscielny
Monreal
Kolasinac
Bellerin
Xhaka
Ramsey
Özil
Mkhi
Auba
Lacazette
Nelson
Nketiah
AMN

Bellerin gets one more season under a new manager. If he doesn’t kick in then I’d sell him.

Ideally we sign a winger, then we have Mkhi, Auba, Lacazette and a winger competing for the front three spots. With Özil and Ramsey playing in a midfield three with xhaka and a new dm competing for the spot behind.

Ricardinho

La Liga Correspondent
b85a0c3e938fb733ee8659741fc4c4c2.png

I feel this is would should make up the starting point for next seasons squad.

Niles versatility provides cover in both full back positions along with Chambers being able to cover RB.

Outs:

Cech (£3-5m/ 100k) or Ospina (£5m/ 40k)
Martinez (£1-2m/ 15k)
Per (retiring/ 70k)
Kolasinac (£10-15m/ 120k)
Jenkinson (£2-3m/ 45k) - may prove problematic to shift because of wage
Wilshere (contract ending/ 110k)
Cazorla (contract ending/ 90k)
Perez (£10-12m/ 60k)
Akpom (£1-2m/ 15k)
Asano (£2-3m/ 10k)
Campbell (£5-8m/ 30k)

*Fees a rough estimate and wages are based on various articles/websites

Would bring in £20-30m at the most, but the important thing there would be clearing the wages. You'd be looking at a minimum of 550k per week off the books.

One or two others (Welbeck/one of the defenders) could still be moved on once improvements are made.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐

Hopefully way more change!

The new guy needs to sign his players, change the team up & improve the spine. So few will have the balls / stubbornness / nativity of Wenger to play a #10, DLP & midfielder like Ramsey in the same team.

Feel some surprises on the outgoings this summer including big names.

Vinci

The Sultan of Unai

Will be interesting if there is still interest for Bellerin. He hasn't had a great season and right-back isn't exactly a crucial position. Reckon if we don't win the EL and make CL, he could be an easy way to raise some serious money.

Ricardinho

La Liga Correspondent
Hopefully way more change!

The new guy needs to sign his players, change the team up & improve the spine. So few will have the balls / stubbornness / nativity of Wenger to play a #10, DLP & midfielder like Ramsey in the same team.

Feel some surprises on the outgoings this summer including big names.

Changes do need to be made but I would be apprehensive about making too many over the first summer. Need to keep a bit of continuity, especially with Per going (senior member of the changing room) and possibly Santi and Jack.

By big names, the only ones we have excluding recent signings (who we can rule out leaving so soon) are Bellerin, Ramsey and Özil - you think one of those will be off?

Ricardinho

La Liga Correspondent
Will be interesting if there is still interest for Bellerin. He hasn't had a great season and right-back isn't exactly a crucial position. Reckon if we don't win the EL and make CL, he could be an easy way to raise some serious money.

The problem with selling Bellerin to raise a bit of cash is that you'll then need to reinvest a large chunk of it to replace him.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
y big names, the only ones we have excluding recent signings (who we can rule out leaving so soon) are Bellerin, Ramsey and Özil - you think one of those will be off?

Really hope Özil is still happy with the contract & plans to be the main guy going forward.

Would not be shocked if any of these move on... Ramsey, Xhaka, Lacazette, Bellerin, Mustafi, Chambers, Kolasinac & Welbeck.

Some I really rate & others not so much but all bring in a decent sum. Its really hard to guess individuals without knowing if the new guy plays two strikers, a three man midfield, wide players etc.

Longy

The only nailed on starters for next year are.......

Auba
Lacazette
Özil
Mikhitarian
Monreal ( although ageing)
Bellerin ( worth another year)
Koscielny (maybe 1 more year)

Fringe but have potential to improve under new manager

Xhaka
Mustafi
wilkshire
Neilson
AMN
elneny
kolasinac
Iwobi

Players that should be improved on
Ramsey
Wellbeck
Cech or Ospina

Arsenal Quotes

Have Tottenham closed the gap on Arsenal?
Last time I checked they were still 4 miles and 11 titles away

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom