• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Stewart Downing

Mastadon

Established Member
Re: Stuart Downing

Downing to Liverpool makes more sense he meets their criteria. English, average, overpriced, overrated, bad signing. I would be shocked if Wenger signed him.

ibby

Established Member

redwhiteAustrian said:
ibby said:
Why won't it be happening?

As some already said, we won't break our transfer record for Stewart Downing.
I'm sure those rumours came from Villa themselves, just to put pressure on Dalglish.
K.

GDeep™

League is very weak

This is so crazy that it actually might be true? We have been linked to him for a while now. Even if Wenger likes him, the asking price, close to 20M, makes it a no goer.

GoonerGurjit

Established Member

Downing isnt suited to the formation we play. Who the hell would cross to? Mata is much better, and would cost a similar amount.

GOONER1991

Established Member

GoonerGurjit said:
Downing isnt suited to the formation we play. Who the hell would cross to? Mata is much better, and would cost a similar amount.

I think that all our players are too similar to be honest, and thus I think having a player who is completely different to anyone else in our team would be a positive. I think that we line up the same in every game, and thus we're way to predictable. Even though I don't rate Chamakh, and think even his aerial ability is overrated, it has to be said that if we needed to have Downing down the left, swinging balls into Chamakh, Bendtner or even Van Persie who's aerial ability is underrated, it would pose a completely different threat to what we already have.

Yes, Mata would be a nice signing, but would he not be more of the same old? We've been crying out for Wenger to buy a direct winger, someone who will beat his man and can actually put a good, accurate ball into the box, yet the moment we get linked to one he "wouldn't suit our style". We consistently complain that Nasri never crosses, while Clichy and Sagna were dire last season with their delivery into the box. Perhaps teams would be less happy to just sit back and let us have the ball outside of the box, if we actually had the ability to throw two men upfront and swing good balls into the box.

That being said, I wouldn't pay over £15 million for Downing.

mo50

Established Member

Anything more than 5m pounds is a rip off for Downing. Thankfully there is no way Wenger will skash our transfer record for him.

Mastadon

Established Member

Downing will play a very important part in us making it into the champions league this year. As long as he signs for Liverpool we only need to finish above Sp**s to make it.

fabo

6.51 / 10

Funny looking at the Liverpool site, some fans actually trying to justify spending big money on Downing rather than Mata.

I think Downing is a good player, as good as Young last season for me. But anything over 10m is too much money.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

You should try some Villa forums, seen quite a few posts thinking we'd accept a Walcott/Downing trade. Others mention Arshavin or a 'bidding war' between us and Liverpool that'll go over £24M.
:lol:

Glovegun

Established Member

If this is true, my suspicion would be that Wenger sees Downing as a direct replacement for Cesc in a midfield three, pushing Jack forward and slotting Downing in alongside Song. He played on the right under Houllier at Villa but has actually played a lot of his football there in central midfield. Downing to my eyes does not have the hallmarks of a classic Wenger 'winger', but he does seem to have some of the attributes Wenger prizes in a central midfielder - a nice first touch, good distribution and a decent passing range.

Vela

Established Member

I would spend a bit more and get Mata. But hopefully we can keep Fabregas and Nasri.

Armor for Sleep

Established Member

Mastadon said:
Downing will play a very important part in us making it into the champions league this year. As long as he signs for Liverpool we only need to finish above Sp**s to make it.

:lol:

brady_style

Glovegun said:
If this is true, my suspicion would be that Wenger sees Downing as a direct replacement for Cesc in a midfield three, pushing Jack forward and slotting Downing in alongside Song. He played on the right under Houllier at Villa but has actually played a lot of his football there in central midfield. Downing to my eyes does not have the hallmarks of a classic Wenger 'winger', but he does seem to have some of the attributes Wenger prizes in a central midfielder - a nice first touch, good distribution and a decent passing range.

Is this a piss take ?

You can't seriously think that Wenger or anyone would ever consider playing Downing as a CM.

Goonereagle

They rejected 15mill from the Scousers, which is double what I'd pay for him. No way can this be true. We'd have to fork out 18-20m for him. Which would baffle everyone because think of the foreign players we could ge tfor that, or the money we could spend on Nasri's contract with that.

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka

If Stuart ****ing Downing breaks our transfer record of over £20 million, Wenger has really gone crazy.

That ginger **** McLeish will laugh all the way to the bank if we're that stupid to pay so much for Downing.

NIPOLOPO

Established Member

Downing and Gervinho occupying our flanks.... Is Titus Bramble still available? might as well go for the jugular.

Arsenal Quotes

I am not arrogant and I'm not frightened to say it.. Arsenal can go through whole season unbeaten

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom