• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Sven's Transfer Targets: Summer 2018

If we were to spend big money on one player, what position would you prefer that to be for?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
But can't shoot to save his life. I don't get this argument. Why would you keep a poor player for those tough 15% of games, just because he works hard? If that's what you want, might as well move Kolasinac up two lines.

Huh? So you think there's no skill whatsoever to the role of defensive forward, literally anyone with working legs can do it? I think that's a massive misjudgement. Pressing defenders, holding up the ball, winning headers, chasing balls...these all sound like basic skills but many players cannot do them.

Welbeck is 27, let's just stop expecting him to ever be prolific and start appreciating him for what he can do. He can help the team. As a squad player, I think he's fantastic.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Huh? So you think there's no skill whatsoever to the role of defensive forward, literally anyone with working legs can do it? I think that's a massive misjudgement. Pressing defenders, holding up the ball, winning headers, chasing balls...these all sound like basic skills but many players cannot do them.

Welbeck is 27, let's just stop expecting him to ever be prolific and start appreciating him for what he can do. He can help the team. As a squad player, I think he's fantastic.

Would you prefer Welbeck as the player on the bench or a quality winger.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Would you prefer Welbeck as the player on the bench or a quality winger.

Why is there only one player on the bench in this hypothetical? I'd like both Welbeck and a tricky winger in the squad. No reason why that's not possible. Whether the winger is Nelson or someone else, doesn't mean Welbeck can't also be there.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20

'defensive forward'. Aside from Giroud, who are these people at Europe's top teams? (seriously)

Of course there is skill in what you are mentioning, it's just not the type of skills I want from my forward players. In any case, any athletic winger could do these things coming from the bench in the second half (except perhaps winning headers). Or as other teams do you could commit a defender to go forward to shake things up (a tall CB if you need to play long balls or I suggested Kolasinac, who actually has a half decent shot on him).

Look, with 7 players on the bench, I'd be looking at something like: GK, Back, CB, C(D)M, C(A)M, Winger, Striker. So you'd either have to sacrifice the winger or a striker to have Welbeck on the bench. And I wouldn't play Auba on the wing, so the striker slot is taken by Lacazette in my view.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Cons of selling Perez -
Perez is way more technically gifted than Welbz.
Better finisher than Welbz.
Much lower fee if we sell/possibly very hard to shift.
Left footed forward which is something we lack up top.

Is he really? Their CIES/OptaPro shooting measures (based on accuracy and composure) are almost identical (Perez 62, Welbeck 61). Danny scored 10 goals this past season. Lucas only 7. Neither has ever been a prolific goalscorer, so I don't see much difference in that area.

Lucas is a more creative player. Welbeck is more direct, stronger, a better ball distributor and contributes more defensively. He's coming off a better season.

Camron

Photoshop King
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
Is he really? Their CIES/OptaPro shooting measures (based on accuracy and composure) are almost identical (Perez 62, Welbeck 61). Danny scored 10 goals this past season. Lucas only 7. Neither has ever been a prolific goalscorer, so I don't see much difference in that area.

Lucas is a more creative player. Welbeck is more direct, stronger, a better ball distributor and contributes more defensively. He's coming off a better season.
Welbeck is also good for the occasional comedy performance.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Why is there only one player on the bench in this hypothetical? I'd like both Welbeck and a tricky winger in the squad. No reason why that's not possible. Whether the winger is Nelson or someone else, doesn't mean Welbeck can't also be there.

Well yeah if Welbeck is then happy with being 6th choice. But I doubt he would be happy with that.

We aren’t in for N’zonzi apparently and are looking in positions elsewhere. Hoping this means rambos signed and we’re getting a winger winger chicken dinner.

Ricardinho

La Liga Correspondent
And Campbell. And Akpom. And Jenkinson. And Ospina/Cech.

Feels like the deadwood list goes on for days.

Two from Ospina/Cech/Martinez/Macey need to go
Jenkinson
Brammel
One out on loan from holding/mav or mustafi sold
Campbell
Akpom
And possibly one of Welbeck/Perez

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes

Welbeck!

In alternative universe this is the goal that inspired us to great run to win the title against Leicester.

One can say about Welbeck what you want - he's been a great character to have in the team and one of the most likable for sure.

Personally don't see him as anything more than a second choice bench job, but that doesnt take away anything from him. Solid player who fights whenever he comes onto the pitch.

Will be missed, but at a club of our level rather because of his values as a person than as a topclass player

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Two from Ospina/Cech/Martinez/Macey need to go
Jenkinson
Brammel
One out on loan from holding/mav or mustafi sold
Campbell
Akpom
And possibly one of Welbeck/Perez

Only CB that could be loaned is Mav. Holding/Chambers are too old to be loaned they need actual game time if they're good enough. We'll see this season, no point in selling Mustafi.

Ricardinho

La Liga Correspondent
Only CB that could be loaned is Mav. Holding/Chambers are too old to be loaned they need actual game time if they're good enough. We'll see this season, no point in selling Mustafi.

Disagree. Holding needs games this season and loan is the best option to see if he can cut it at this level on a consistent basis. Still a pup in terms of his development.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Disagree. Holding needs games this season and loan is the best option to see if he can cut it at this level on a consistent basis. Still a pup in terms of his development.

Wouldn't make any sense to me. If we loaned Holding we'd be left with Sokratis, a Mustafi who usually picks up injuries, Chambers and Mavropanos.

With Holding its either sell or use, same with Chambers.

Ricardinho

La Liga Correspondent
Monreal (if still here) can also be counted on as CB cover if worst came to worst. 4 with one out on loan would be enough until koscielny returns.

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
Monreal (if still here) can also be counted on as CB cover if worst came to worst. 4 with one out on loan would be enough until koscielny returns.

Not sure if I even count Koscielny anymore, out until December apparently and no idea how his rehabilitation will go, unfortunately he was on the decline pre-injury, I'm guessing his fitness and sharpness will take a month or so after that, could be looking at Feb before he is fully fit and then see what his level is post injury.

Such a **** way to go out if this injury is truly a bad one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Nobody has enough talent to live on talent alone. Even when you have talent, a life without work goes nowhere

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom