• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Great Squad Cost Thread

Squad cost?

• Total voters

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
The thing that aggravates me is @Makingtrax acts like we spend absolutely nothing. Squads role around in cycles. Liverpool are 3/4 of the way through their squad cycle. Arsenal are at the beginning of a new squad cycle and in that cycle we've currently spent £240M in two windows. That's an extortionate amount of money for a team without CL football. Its all relative, we haven't been in the CL for a few years yet our spend and our wage bill is that of a CL side...

If anyone feels like bashing the club for that you may as well jump off the bandwagon now.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I like any post that shows squad cost isn't the be all and end all.

I also respect your logic that wanting Arteta to get top four is expecting him to go against the odds but sport shows that it is possible and it's not as rare as you make it sound. I just want us to push for the top four.
What? Wenger got top 4 every year for 20 years. How rare is that? Arteta can do the same surely, it won't be easy but it's not rare at all spending 5th. You're like @HairSprayGooners making stuff up.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

What’s average payroll? If we take the median figure of each MLB season there’s actually been more than one. The Royals made it to the World Series in 2014 with the 16th highest payroll and then went back and won it the next year.

Coincidentally they’re an even smaller team than Oakland, they probably have the smallest TV market of all MLB teams with one of the cheapest owners.

So we have almost ten teams with below average payroll who’ve made the World Series and 2 who’ve won it.

Interesting you mention the Yankees, do you know how many times since 2002 they’ve won it all? Once. Same goes for the Dodgers who are the other huge spenders.

The book paints Oakland as perennial underdogs when 10 years before they won the World Series and won it three years in a row in the 70s.

Obviously money helps to keep you contending but it’s just a flat out mistruth to paint the major leagues as a closed shop to all but 5 or 6 teams. The best ran teams are usually the ones who contend year on year.
Look, it's about odds not individual teams.
Here's a superb graph that shoes the % of teams reaching the playoffs from each salary quartile. The reason it changes post 2003 is because of the luxury tax introduced to try and even things up and it worked a little as you can see.
CFD25073-E190-48-FB-8926-AB7-F210-DCA62.jpg

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Look, it's about odds not individual teams.
Here's a superb graph that shoes the % of teams reaching the playoffs from each salary quartile. The reason it changes post 2003 is because of the luxury tax introduced to try and even things up and it worked a little as you can see.
CFD25073-E190-48-FB-8926-AB7-F210-DCA62.jpg

So basically what you’re saying it’s an unfair game except for clear examples when it isn’t? :lol:

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

So basically what you’re saying it’s an unfair game except for clear examples when it isn’t? :lol:
No I'm clearly saying it's an unfair game.

The statistical evidence is very clear. In football it's the same, Leicester have won the top league once in 140 years, Chelsea have won 5 times in the last 15 years. Leicester is your 'clear example', as you put it. But it's not, it's still an unfair game, just like baseball.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
So you say, where's your statistical evidence for me to look at?

You don't need to see statistical evidence to realise the quality of player in the top premier league sides and throughout world football has gone down. Whilst the spending power of the Leicester's/Sp**s/Wolves of the world has gone up. Wolves, Leicester and Sp**s now buy players that would comfortably get into the top 5 teams in England.

Was that happening 10 years ago? Absolutely not. Theres your evidence.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

No I'm clearly saying it's an unfair game.

The statistical evidence is very clear. In football it's the same, Leicester have won the top league once in 140 years, Chelsea have won 5 times in the last 15 years. Leicester is your 'clear example', as you put it. But it's not, it's still an unfair game, just like baseball.

Why are you linking the two sports?

I’ve told you on several occasions that smaller teams have made the World Series in the last two decades and have multiple wins, the same as the two biggest teams but you’re still ignoring it? :lol:

It’s like Fulham and Crystal Palace winning the same amount of league titles as Man Utd and Man City.

You can’t apply the same logic to a totally different sport.

Manberg

Predator
You don't need to see statistical evidence to realise the quality of player in the top premier league sides and throughout world football has gone down. Whilst the spending power of the Leicester's/Sp**s/Wolves of the world has gone up. Wolves, Leicester and Sp**s now buy players that would comfortably get into the top 5 teams in England.

Was that happening 10 years ago? Absolutely not. Theres your evidence.

Not just that. But Man City were not a top side 10 years ago. You could say neither were Sp**s or Liverpool.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Not just that. But Man City were not a top side 10 years ago. You could say neither were Sp**s or Liverpool.

Exactly. To say the league hasn't got stronger is ridiculous. I think Wenger would be really struggling in this modern era of football, not sure he'd be coming higher than 6th with the current squad.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Why are you linking the two sports?

I’ve told you on several occasions that smaller teams have made the World Series in the last two decades and have multiple wins, the same as the two biggest teams but you’re still ignoring it? :lol:

It’s like Fulham and Crystal Palace winning the same amount of league titles as Man Utd and Man City.

You can’t apply the same logic to a totally different sport.
I've just shown the % of teams from each salary quartile that have made the play offs. And I'm linking it to football, because we're on a football forum. Come on man :lol:

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
What? He's just said standards are going up. You're saying standards are going down, it's all very confusing for a simple guy like me. :lol:

But the whole point is the league has got harder which you disagree with.

Overall quality of players has gone down, you don't see Henry's, Bergkamps, Vieira's, Cantona's, Torres' type players anymore in the PL or even world football in all honesty.

But because the spending power of the smaller sides has exploded the league has gotten harder.

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member

Overall quality of players has gone down, you don't see Henry's, Bergkamps, Vieira's, Cantona's, Torres' type players anymore in the PL or even world football in all honesty.

But because the spending power of the smaller sides has exploded the league has gotten harder.

You're on about forwards there, I think positions have lulls and highs, like for a long time you couldn't find a left back to save your life worldwide now there coming out of the woodwork. Lets see how Mbappe and Werner develop for example.

kash2

More Consistent Than Arteta
So you say, where's your statistical evidence for me to look at?
i remember some prettt

pool and Sp**s used to not make top4 and had bale, modric, alonso, gerard and torres.

Wenger made top 4 for 20 consecutive years .. there is no comparison and your gratuitious dragging of him into the conversation is odious trolling.

Arsenal Quotes

I've never been a goalscorer. I've only owned goals. Good own goals.

Steve Bould

Latest posts

Top Bottom