• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Great Squad Cost Thread

Squad cost?

• Total voters

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
You’re bludgeoning an already well and truly dead horse mate @Makingtrax.

You’re not even wrong but, ‘kin ell.

Would you be happier if we skipped playing out the league and just listed the teams in squad cost order on an annual basis instead or..?
I only mentioned my favourite film Moneyball and suddenly there's 4 pages of idiot posts. :lol:
Arteta has every chance of a top 4 finish on his spend, there's nothing to discuss. He just has to get the squad playing well.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

It's inevitable though because I was the only one showing that Wenger was doing well for his spend and be careful what you wish for, when most posters were frothing that top 4 wasn't a trophy for the mighty Arsenal.

Now the whole landscape has changed and it's dawning on everybody that top 4 is actually a challenge for Arsenal, nobody likes a smart arse.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

This is what I meant about that horse :lol:

I didn’t even disagree with you, just said you were a bit repetitive and hinting that you shouldn’t be blaming “idiot posts” for relapsing into squad cost debates. Yet, here you are.

Is it not enough for you that Wenger says himself that keeping the club afloat is up there in his biggest achievements?

Or can you not take satisfaction in our fanbase desperately gagging for attacking football that we haven’t seen since the boss?

Or do you really want me to climb off my new young Arteta horse and look at this old dead horse carcass you insist on pummelling? I mean I like you enough to do it, but it’s not gonna help matters.

Arsène has been more than vindicated - if you have a brain. Beating everybody over the head with it everyday is unnecessary.
You're just joking now . .Arsène's been more than vindicated? :lol: He's smashed over the head almost on a daily basis on some thread or other. And a number of bat sh!t crazy posters are already calling for Arteta's head. If he loses against United it's going to get ugly quite quickly bro.

Macho

DJ Machodemiks
Dusted 🔻

And a number of bat sh!t crazy posters are already calling for Arteta's head. If he loses against United it's going to get ugly quite quickly bro.
This is agree with.

I’ve been joking about it but I don’t think it looks good for Arteta.

He’s done away with a lot of Wenger traditions which irks a lot of fans - they think his methods were normal.

I’ve accepted our fanbase are rabid and unreasonable - think you should do the same.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
It's inevitable though because I was the only one showing that Wenger was doing well for his spend and be careful what you wish for, when most posters were frothing that top 4 wasn't a trophy for the mighty Arsenal.

Now the whole landscape has changed and it's dawning on everybody that top 4 is actually a challenge for Arsenal, nobody likes a smart arse.
Wenger was half taking the piss when he said that. Fans were all over it, though. It was bigger than an FA cup at one stage, but towards the end, fans just wanted a trophy; top 4 would have been nice as well, but of the two, a trophy for a change would have pleased most fans more. We were good enough to have done better in those years prior to 2016.
And then the landscape changed and, right now, top 4 is more important than its ever been. Wenger failed to achieve that in his last two seasons, displaying clear signs that he’d lost his ability to get the team to compete. I don’t see how you’re managing to claim this as any sort of ‘told you so’ thing... The landscape changed, as you correctly observed, and top 4 is harder now. That aside, Wenger was done. Finito.

Manberg

Predator

Doesn’t Wenger getting top 4 defeat your argument that teams finish in order of squad cost?

The league wasn’t as competitive between 2005 and circa 2015 and we had the advantage of being ahead of the rest in terms of scouting and the pull due to invincibles and other successes. When the rest of the league caught up Wenger has faltered, evidenced by failing to achieve top 4 in his last two seasons, despite having a higher squad cost than some of the clubs that finished above us, namely Sp**s.

2016-2017 season we had a squad cost of £264m and finished fifth. Sp**s had a squad cost of £211m and finished 2nd. Wasn’t just that season they finished above us either.

Source: https://www.transferleague.co.uk/ar...ds-2016-2017/arsenal-f-c-squad-cost-2016-2017

Last edited:

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Squad cost is normally always right tbf, the more money you have the better you should do...spending money doesn't guarantee anything though, you can still spend a lot of money of bad players.

Like we did in 2016...we spent almost £100 million that summer, added it to a team that had just finished 2nd too, logically that should mean 1st next year you would think...but Xhaka and Mustafi were such downgrades on Santi and Per, that despite having a higher squad value, the actual quality of our starting 11 reduced dramatically.

Football, like life, has many shades of grey.

kash2

More Consistent Than Arteta
the landscape changed so much in 2 yrs that we came eighth and the bumsquad is loving it. What landscape change? Chelsea, Arsenal and United appointing bum managers? lol

:rofl::trophy::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Wenger was half taking the piss when he said that. Fans were all over it, though. It was bigger than an FA cup at one stage, but towards the end, fans just wanted a trophy; top 4 would have been nice as well, but of the two, a trophy for a change would have pleased most fans more. We were good enough to have done better in those years prior to 2016.
And then the landscape changed and, right now, top 4 is more important than its ever been. Wenger failed to achieve that in his last two seasons, displaying clear signs that he’d lost his ability to get the team to compete. I don’t see how you’re managing to claim this as any sort of ‘told you so’ thing... The landscape changed, as you correctly observed, and top 4 is harder now. That aside, Wenger was done. Finito.
Keep asking this, where's the statistical evidence that top 4 is harder than before, because I don't believe it. United underperforming, Abramovic foot of the gas in the last couple of years, Spuds collapsing since Poch left, title winners winning with more points than ever seen before. Where's your evdence?

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Doesn’t Wenger getting top 4 defeat your argument that teams finish in order of squad cost?

The league wasn’t as competitive between 2005 and circa 2015 and we had the advantage of being ahead of the rest in terms of scouting and the pull due to invincibles and other successes. When the rest of the league caught up Wenger has faltered, evidenced by failing to achieve top 4 in his last two seasons, despite having a higher squad cost than some of the clubs that finished above us, namely Sp**s.

2016-2017 season we had a squad cost of £264m and finished fifth. Sp**s had a squad cost of £211m and finished 2nd. Wasn’t just that season they finished above us either.

Source: https://www.transferleague.co.uk/ar...ds-2016-2017/arsenal-f-c-squad-cost-2016-2017
You've been squashed, go away and sulk.

Dj_sds

Harry Maguire - August 4, 2019 - adds 17 million to Leicester's overall squad cost.

Harry Maguire - August 5, 2019 - adds 80 million to United's overall squad cost.

This is why squad cost is flawed.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

If it weren't for Gazidis' intervention to get the club out of Wenger's hold, we would have far more clowns to move on. Just a couple of more years for clearing up the mess he created to go imo.
Read @Tir Na Nog 's post that's what someone who understands football sounds like. :lol:

kash2

More Consistent Than Arteta
Keep asking this, where's the statistical evidence that top 4 is harder than before, because I don't believe it. United underperforming, Abramovic foot of the gas in the last couple of years, Spuds collapsing since Poch left, title winners winning with more points than ever seen before. Where's your evdence?

evidence? whats that?

who needs evidence when you have voices in your head guiding you

Gegen Pressing

Fixed.
Yes signing young players for a 1/5 of the price makes the difference. Good example of how to spend money vs how much .
Harry Maguire - August 4, 2019 - 15.06.2017 - adds 17 million to Leicester's overall squad cost.

Harry Maguire - August 5, 2019 - adds 80 million to United's overall squad cost.

This is why squad cost is flawed.

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
Read @Tir Na Nog 's post that's what someone who understands football sounds like. :lol:
That post doesn't really negate what I said one bit but it actually negates a lot of what you keep ignoring and continue to push your agendas with.

Wenger got money, blew up the squad with it, lost the title to Leicester, the quality of the coaches and players in the league bypassed him taking us straight out of the top 4.

Are you denying these things didn't happen? Can you deny the club continues to suffer with his decisions taken near the end?

Don't blow off the questions or points with a joke or a dig Mr. Smart dude bro.

Arsenal Quotes

My first ever football memory was Charlie George's double winning goal in 71. After that game; I just became an Arsenal fan.

Paul Davis

Daily Transfer Updates

Tuesday, May 21

Nuno Tavares will return to Arsenal after Nottingham Forest chose not to exercise the buy option in his loan deal [Nottingham Forest Official Site]

Benjamin Šeško’s agent confirms interest from English and Italian clubs, adding that he is not interested in moving to Saudi Arabia [Evening Standard]

Arsenal have sent scouts to watch Benfica midfielder Joao Neves multiple times [Fabrizio Romano]

Arsenal have joined Manchester United in the race to sign Rennes’ 18 year old attacking midfielder Desire Doue [Ouest-France]

Latest posts

Top Bottom