• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Great Squad Cost Thread

Squad cost?

• Total voters

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
i remember some prettt

pool and Sp**s used to not make top4 and had bale, modric, alonso, gerard and torres.

Wenger made top 4 for 20 consecutive years .. there is no comparison and your gratuitious dragging of him into the conversation is odious trolling.

2010 Sp**s made CL with Bale and Modric. In 2012 Sp**s made the CL with Modric and Bale. Modric then left in the summer of 2012 and Bale shortly after that.

Liverpool won the CL with the players you mentioned and reached a CL final.

But sure lets applaud Wenger for coming 4th every year even with world class players, never actually going far in the CL after we got to the final and also bombing out and failing to push for any league title since the invincibles.

Very poor opinions from you, you're odious.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Think the Premiership has always been a strong league, just certain teams change roles.

You could say that City and Liverpool are better now than the 2000s, but United and Arsenal are worse.

Sp**s have been the England "B" team since 2016 really, while that was Newcastle's place in the early 2000s.

Leeds had an amazing team in the 2000s too, were spending buckets back then...Everton look good now, but still feel their 2008 team was their best Premiership era team.

Teams go up and down, but the toughness of the league is more or less the same imo.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
But the whole point is the league has got harder which you disagree with.

Overall quality of players has gone down, you don't see Henry's, Bergkamps, Vieira's, Cantona's, Torres' type players anymore in the PL or even world football in all honesty.

But because the spending power of the smaller sides has exploded the league has gotten harder.
You say the league is getting harder, and player quality is decreasing . . I say, where's your evidence.

And as for the spending power of lower clubs exploding . . that's very much at odds with Deloitte's analysis that shows the economic gap between the upper and lower sides in the EPL is growing ever wider.
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...premier-league-clubs-still-widening-0gx9zsgsk

Why do I have the feeling you just pluck stuff out of the air and say it's true. Think I'm finished here.

Kav

Established Member
2010 Sp**s made CL with Bale and Modric. In 2012 Sp**s made the CL with Modric and Bale. Modric then left in the summer of 2012 and Bale shortly after that.

But sure lets applaud Wenger for coming 4th every year even with world class players, never actually going far in the CL after we got to the final and also bombing out and failing to push for any league title since the invincibles.

Bale had been at Sp**s for 6 years and Modric 4 and they only made champions league twice. Not very consistent and refutes your point.

Liverpool did win one champions league in 05 and routinely came in the top 4 until around 2009/10 seasons then they fell off for a few years until 2013/14 when they had Suarez. After he left they also fell off again.

As for you comment on Wenger’s tenure. I get that you don’t like him but at least get the facts right. He didn’t come fourth 20 years in a row. That was just an asinine comment by you.

The man had the following results as a manager:

First : 3 times
Second: 6 times
Third: 5 times
Fourth: 6 times.

Now go apologize for your disinformation.

kash2

More Consistent Than Arteta

yeah.. go take out your frustration somewhere else rather than talking **** unnecessarily. We are fully aware that the bumsquad has a visceral hate of wenger. The man has quotes from Spinoza and Malraux at the start of his book, so i can understand why the hate troll army goes nuts; but its so stupid to first say competition was weaker and then to say they won the CL. Totally bonkers trash talk.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

What? Wenger got top 4 every year for 20 years. How rare is that? Arteta can do the same surely, it won't be easy but it's not rare at all spending 5th. You're like @HairSprayGooners making stuff up.
In response to your first question.

Wenger was a top manager for most of his career so finishing top four for 20 years in a row is something that a top manager does, however we only had three expensive teams to compete against. There's a very solid argument to be made that once other clubs started to spend Wenger was found out. Which funnily enough, backs up your argument. I haven't looked into the numbers but it should check out.

In regards to your second post, what did I make up? I have no idea what you're talking about think something I said must have triggered you?

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

In response to your first question.

Wenger was a top manager for most of his career so finishing top four for 20 years in a row is something that a top manager does, however we only had three expensive teams to compete against. There's a very solid argument to be made that once other clubs started to spend Wenger was found out. Which funnily enough, backs up your argument. I haven't looked into the numbers but it should check out.

In regards to your second post, what did I make up? I have no idea what you're talking about think something I said must have triggered you?
Stop playing the strawman, you made up the words in bold below. I've never made it sound rare that a team spending 5th could get top 4. Wenger did it for 20 years. You've got to overperform but not by much. And I'm not triggered. :lol:

I also respect your logic that wanting Arteta to get top four is expecting him to go against the odds but sport shows that it is possible and it's not as rare as you make it sound.

And Wenger had 4 more expensive teams to cope with from 2013/14 onwards, prior to that he had a lot more to contend with. I can provide you with the data if you doubt me.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Stop playing the strawman, you made up the words in bold below. I've never made it sound rare that a team spending 5th could get top 4. Wenger did it for 20 years. You've got to overperform but not by much. And I'm not triggered. :lol:

And Wenger had 4 more expensive teams to cope with from 2013/14 onwards, prior to that he had a lot more to contend with. I can provide you with the data if you doubt me.
Off the top of my head. We’ve seen Leicester Sp**s Arsenal and Liverpool all outperform their squad costs.

That just in England. Would you call that rare? Anyway you can’t say I made it up because the word rare is subject to interpretation.

Sanchez11

Nobody Is Coming!

Tbf the quality or at least the number of quality players has decreased, i have mentioned this before. The overall standard has dropped imo

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Off the top of my head. We’ve seen Leicester Sp**s Arsenal and Liverpool all outperform their squad costs.

That just in England. Would you call that rare? Anyway you can’t say I made it up because the word rare is subject to interpretation.
No, why would I, it's common. But there's a difference between outperforming your squad cost by one or two places and winning the league. Sp**s haven't won the league in recent history, Liverpool once, Arsenal not since the stadium build. But City 4 times, Chelsea 5 times and United 13 times tells the story of Premier League.

Manberg

Predator
No, why would I, it's common. But there's a difference between outperforming your squad cost by one or two places and winning the league. Sp**s haven't won the league in recent history, Liverpool once, Arsenal not since the stadium build. But City 4 times, Chelsea 5 times and United 13 times tells the story of Premier League.

Leicester won it, decimating your squad cost theory. /thread

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Leicester won it, decimating your squad cost theory. /thread
Does it really? Or am I debating with complete ******? Lets look at the last decade.

Leicester finishes: 30,39,26,21, 14, 1, 12, 9,9,5

City Finishes: 3,1,2,1,2,4,3,1,1,2

So where does squad investment get you? You need to go in a quiet room and whip yourself, then apologise humbly. @Macho putting a like on your post needs to give up his trusted status.

Last edited:

Macho

DJ Machodemiks
Dusted 🔻

You’re bludgeoning an already well and truly dead horse mate @Makingtrax.

You’re not even wrong but, ‘kin ell.

Would you be happier if we skipped playing out the league and just listed the teams in squad cost order on an annual basis instead or..?

Arsenal Quotes

The biggest things in life have been achieved by people who, at the start, we would have judged crazy. And yet if they had not had these crazy ideas the world would have been more stupid.

Arsène Wenger

Daily Transfer Updates

Tuesday, May 21

Nuno Tavares will return to Arsenal after Nottingham Forest chose not to exercise the buy option in his loan deal [Nottingham Forest Official Site]

Benjamin Šeško’s agent confirms interest from English and Italian clubs, adding that he is not interested in moving to Saudi Arabia [Evening Standard]

Arsenal have sent scouts to watch Benfica midfielder Joao Neves multiple times [Fabrizio Romano]

Arsenal have joined Manchester United in the race to sign Rennes’ 18 year old attacking midfielder Desire Doue [Ouest-France]
Top Bottom