• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Unpopular Opinion Thread

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
I still really wish we never moved from Highbury to The Emirates.

Not having that stranglehold over our finances, would have been so much better for us than getting 20,000 extra seats, imo...who knows, if we stayed and remained competitive maybe a better owner would have got us, maybe Usmanov and Dein takeover...I would have taken that chance.

Really miss that ground, so glad I saw us play there.

scytheavatar

Established Member
I still really wish we never moved from Highbury to The Emirates.

Not having that stranglehold over our finances, would have been so much better for us than getting 20,000 extra seats, imo...who knows, if we stayed and remained competitive maybe a better owner would have got us, maybe Usmanov and Dein takeover...I would have taken that chance.

Really miss that ground, so glad I saw us play there.

If we didn't move to the Emirates we would be in a worse position right now.............. you think the Emirates had a stranglehold over our finance, imagine how much worse we will be right now if we didn't have 30 milion extra per season in gate revenue over the years. And had we not built the Emirates we would still be buried in the mountain of cash that the Manchester clubs and Chelsea had.

Riou

If we didn't move to the Emirates we would be in a worse position right now.............. you think the Emirates had a stranglehold over our finance, imagine how much worse we will be right now if we didn't have 30 milion extra per season in gate revenue over the years. And had we not built the Emirates we would still be buried in the mountain of cash that the Manchester clubs and Chelsea had.

We're buried behind them anyway, and we will never get up to that level again for quite a long while, tbh.

I don't see what good the Emirates has done, it's crippled us as a competitive team and made us a bit of a joke really.

If we stayed at Highbury, who knows how it would have worked out...as I said, maybe we don't end up in Stan's hands either.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

We're buried behind them anyway, and we will never get up to that level again for quite a long while, tbh.

I don't see what good the Emirates has done, it's crippled us as a competitive team and made us a bit of a joke really.

If we stayed at Highbury, who knows how it would have worked out...as I said, maybe we don't end up in Stan's hands either.

We where never staying at Highbury anyway as we weren't allowed to expand it. It was either Wembley or a new stadium. The idea was good as we where so far behind United in terms of finances but Abramovich coming along never factored into the plans.

Riou

We where never staying at Highbury anyway as we weren't allowed to expand it. It was either Wembley or a new stadium. The idea was good as we where so far behind United in terms of finances but Abramovich coming along never factored into the plans.

Stamford Bridge is pretty much the same size as Highbury, that's not stopped Chelsea from dominating, due to them having a top owner.

My point is...if we didn't leave Highbury in 2006, it means we wouldn't have been crippled with debt that forced us to stop being a top team...which means Dein doesn't bring Stan to our attention, which means he might not have taken us over and just ruined the club...and who knows what happens next, maybe the City owners take us over, or Usmanov, or another super rich/ambitious guy....I don't know what happens, you don't know what happens, no one does...but I would have chanced it.

If I could go back in time and change Arsenal moving grounds, I would...I know exactly what has happened since we did, it hasn't been that great...while there is a chance, things could go much better for us if we didn't leave Highbury then.

I am also not saying lets never change stadiums, just would not do it in 2006.

kash2

More Consistent Than Arteta

that has given us a floor not a ceiling. It ensures a minimum level of competitiveness below which we cant fall.

what you are really complaining about is that shysters bought into the club. That may have happened even without a new stadium.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Stamford Bridge is pretty much the same size at Highbury, that's not stopped Chelsea from dominating, due to them having a top owner.

My point is...if we didn't leave Highbury in 2006, it means we wouldn't have been crippled with debt that forced us to stop being a top team...which means Dein doesn't bring Stan to our attention, which means he might not have taken us over and just ruined the club...and who knows what happens next, maybe the City owners take us over, or Usmanov, or another super rich/ambitious guy.

If I could go back in time and change Arsenal moving grounds, I would...I know exactly what has happened since we did, he hasn't been that great...while there is a chance, things could go much better for us if we didn't leave Highbury then.

I am also not saying lets never change stadiums, just would not do it in 2006.

Hypothetically that all well may be true, who knows what would have happened however it simply was never on the table to stay at Highbury, we where always going to leave. The decision was made by those in charge of the club at the time and finalised as far back as 1999.

Riou

Even if worse comes to worse and we stayed at Highbury, but still were as poor as we are now.

Would still rather have died there, least that stadium meant something...it's hard not to look at The Emirates, and not see how we gave up everything for nothing tbh.

kash2

More Consistent Than Arteta
Even if worse comes to worse and we stayed at Highbury, but still were as poor as we are now.

Would still rather have died there, least that stadium meant something...it's hard not to look at The Emirates, and not see how we gave up everything for nothing tbh.
"Highbury is linked with love, love for the period I had there, love for the exceptional attitude of the fans, the special football games I witnessed there, it’s a special place in my heart. There was 40 people there, now there’s more like 400, you knew everyone.

We have moved from a business family to a big company now and, of course, Highbury was linked with the business family. The supporters were very close, when you kicked a corner you can shake the hands of a supporter, and it gave a togetherness, a warm feeling that was unique.

“You’re always in a position with a football club where you ask whether to move forward or to stay in the past, we had to go through a period were we moved stadiums. The rules were changed, we wanted to create a stadium with the same feeling of Highbury but we left our soul because we could never replicate that."

"There was a soul, something special, when you came down the road and arrived at Highbury.

I loved Highbury a lot. You know, sometimes when I was in the area on my way home, I’d have to drive through Highbury, because it’s a special place. And I believe that everybody who has been there inside would share that.

Even the dressing room, you could open the windows! I remember Ian Wright would open the windows and say things to the supporters outside. Today, there are no windows in any dressing room.

At the time I pushed the club to do it because we had 38,000 people at Highbury and we could move to 60,000.

But we never knew would we have enough supporters there, so financially it was a very difficult project.

I would not start it again, believe me!"

- Arsène Wenger

Riou

- Arsène Wenger

giphy.gif

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
"Highbury is linked with love, love for the period I had there, love for the exceptional attitude of the fans, the special football games I witnessed there, it’s a special place in my heart. There was 40 people there, now there’s more like 400, you knew everyone.

We have moved from a business family to a big company now and, of course, Highbury was linked with the business family. The supporters were very close, when you kicked a corner you can shake the hands of a supporter, and it gave a togetherness, a warm feeling that was unique.

“You’re always in a position with a football club where you ask whether to move forward or to stay in the past, we had to go through a period were we moved stadiums. The rules were changed, we wanted to create a stadium with the same feeling of Highbury but we left our soul because we could never replicate that."

"There was a soul, something special, when you came down the road and arrived at Highbury.

I loved Highbury a lot. You know, sometimes when I was in the area on my way home, I’d have to drive through Highbury, because it’s a special place. And I believe that everybody who has been there inside would share that.

Even the dressing room, you could open the windows! I remember Ian Wright would open the windows and say things to the supporters outside. Today, there are no windows in any dressing room.

At the time I pushed the club to do it because we had 38,000 people at Highbury and we could move to 60,000.

But we never knew would we have enough supporters there, so financially it was a very difficult project.

- Arsène Wenger

I think he means that he wouldn't want to go through that all again, not that the Emirates was a bad idea holistically.

The legacy of the stadium will outlast any player or manager (Except for the man who built it). Where we have failed as per usual, was not building a stadium but having a bunch of idiots running the club during that transition.

Penny wise, pound foolish FC. If the club had pushed the boat out a little bit, invested some of their own money and we won a trophy or two. That added prestige would have gone a long way to improved commercial deals (if we didn't have a complete idiot negotiating them), players staying and increased revenue from winning competitions.

But this club would have rather spent 1 pound and made 2 than spend 30 pounds to make 300.

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
I don't know who needs to hear this right now, but everyone's favourite David Dein ruined this club ten times over and it's time we all stopped singing his praises.

He brought Kroenke and Usmanov to the club and made a fortune off of it to boot.

Then his son got our best players to leave the club, when the only reason he had access to them was because of his dad's connection to Arsenal.

Funny how fans can praise and vilify Wenger in equal measure for his successes and failures but Dein gets a free pass for the biggest bungle the club has made this century. Did I mention how his **** up led to Gazidis basically taking his place?

A shambles.

Arsenal Quotes

Robert Pirès was a fabulous player, world-class, and for a few years, before his injury, he was unquestionably the best left-midfielder in the world by far. He had incredible technique, he was smart, a finisher. He was a killer with a smile, the gentlest man in the world who suddenly drive the ball exactly where it was needed.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom