• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Wish List

Fouz

Allegri

Griezmann or Dybala (80M)
Mahrez (45M)
Fabinho (40M)
Rakitic (40M)
Mendy (30M)

Total: 235M

Recall Szczesny & Wilshere.
Keep Sanchez

Out:
Gibbs (5M)
Ospina (5M)
Ramsey (15M)
Walcott (25M)
Neny (10M)
Özil (30M)

Total out: 90M

Net spend: 145M

StefanB

Not sure what your definition of athlete is, but from an athletic stand point, Alexis Sanchez is phenomenon.

Athlete is 180cm+ with great physique, speed and power.

Alexis is something else. He's a great athlete of course in terms of endurance and speed, but he lacks the physique/stature that the greatest athletes have.

carlito'sway

Established Member
Athlete is 180cm+ with great physique, speed and power.

Alexis is something else. He's a great athlete of course in terms of endurance and speed, but he lacks the physique/stature that the greatest athletes have.

I would disagree with that definition. There is no arbitrary height limitation to be a great athlete. Mo Farah is not 180, still a great one, Isiah Thomas (Boston Celtics), countless other examples.
As far as of great physique, power, endurance etc, Alexis has it all.

StefanB

I would disagree with that definition. There is no arbitrary height limitation to be a great athlete. Mo Farah is not 180, still a great one, Isiah Thomas (Boston Celtics), countless other examples.

We're on a football forum. When running a marathon height doesn't matter. When playing in midfield/as a striker height matters..

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
I want an exciting forward Mbappe, Lacazette, Dyballa, Morata. It hurts me how blunt our attack is these days..

Sell - Ramsey, Walcott and Giroud. All good but they've been staple parts of this failing team for too long.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Oblak
Holding Van Dijk Koscielny
Bellerin N'Zonzi Nainggolan Mendy
Mbappe Alexis
Lukaku
Only need 7 players. Only need £300m. No excuses.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes

Mo may be a great runner but not a great athlete

the definition of a great athlete is mostly down to speed, strength and explosiveness

things that is mostly natural

endurance is a trained trait, some have more or less natural endurance and everyone can become better at speed, strength and explosivness but it is mostly given already at birth.

A second definition of a great athlete is that he/she could have become great at any sport

Deathstroke

The Terminator
Oblak
Holding Van Dijk Koscielny
Bellerin N'Zonzi Nainggolan Mendy
Mbappe Alexis
Lukaku
Only need 7 players. Only need £300m. No excuses.

Not so sure about the personnel, but I'd be all for that formation. Or the 4-3-3, if our young RW/LW prospects are to fit in better.

We're on a football forum. When running a marathon height doesn't matter. When playing in midfield/as a striker height matters..

ngolo-kante-leicester-france_3436027.jpg

African Flair

Could be a good shout
Like Arsenal FC would pay 12m for a guy with a haircut like that.

His name have bounced around but honestly is he any better than the Ramsey's of the world? We need to pony up big cash for a major player in the midfield. I wish Szczesny was sent to Rom for a purpose, like under cover stuff, recruiting assets.

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard

Proven wrong by to Maradonna, Zola, Kante, Makelele, keita,Wise, Juninho, Otega, Insinge and Hassler.

4R5Emaniac

Always fresh from Bangladesh
Read somewhere that Dries Mertens rejected a new contract at Napoli. If Alexis leaves he could a shrewd signing on the short term. Having a great season so far as a False#9 ala Alexis and can play LW as well.

Revamp our attack with three players Mertens, Lacazette and Fekir. Midfield with Naby Keita and Isco. Alban Lafont as GK and a LB.

Optimistic

Personally I'd like to see improvements made on our current leftback options, our deputy rightbacks, our defensive midfielders, and our wingers. Additionally, although Sanchez can do a pretty remarkable job as a false 9, I'm also a fan of more 'complete' forwards and would like to see us buy a striker in that vein. To this end, I'd like to see us sign:
  • Jonas Hector (FC Cologne). A more defensively sound leftback than our current options, Hector is also versatile and can play in midfield. When he was younger he used to play as a number 10, and it shows - he has a good awareness of where he needs to be in the attack, and can sometimes be quite creative. He also plays for the German national team, which is always a good sign.
  • Danilo Pereira (FC Porto). He's a very defensive midfielder who can also play at centreback. He's strong, tall and good in the air, which are all features we're a bit short on in midfield. He's also quite a capable passer of the ball and very mobile. I think having someone with his skillset would stop the opposition cutting through our midfield so easily. Ideally he would bench Coquelin, allowing Coquelin to deputise at rightback when necessary. Coquelin has played there before, and I believe his flaws (namely his passing game) would be less significant out wide.
  • Julian Brandt (Bayer 04 Leverkusen). A young creative winger who at age 20 has already cemented a place in Bayer's starting 11. He's tall, quick, and has an eye for a pass. Hopefully this would reduce our reliance on Özil for creativity, and with his pace and ability to beat a man 1v1 would allow us to go at defenses more directly. He's hardly set the Bundesliga alight so far but being so young he has time on his side.
  • Andrea Belotti (Torino). Although certainly unproven beyond the terrific season he's currently having, for years we have been hesitant to spend big money on young forwards and regretted the decision later. He's proven that he is at least capable of being a deadly finisher. Additionally he's the type of striker that creates chances for himself, is fairly tall, strong and good in the air, and quick enough to play on the counter. If nothing else he has an exceptional workrate and defends from the front, and wouldn't it be nice to see more of our players putting in the effort when we're out of possession? Torino wouldn't let him come cheap but I could see him moving as part of a similar deal as Anthony Martial to United. Certainly a risk, but we could afford it even if he flopped, and the rewards could be fantastic.

Arsenal Quotes

I really like Arsenal. But you, do you like Arsenal? Or just Arsenal with Trophies?

Dennis Bergkamp

Latest posts

Top Bottom