• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Wish List

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

GK: Anyone who can save a penalty.
Defence: Lichtsteiner and Sokratis mainly because they're almost certainly coming. Soyuncu
Midfield: N'Zonzi and Doucoure
Winger: Zaha

Leno???
Bellerin Sokratis Soyuncu Monreal
Doucoure N'Zonzi
Özil Ramsey Zaha
Aubameyang
Squad: Cech; Lichsteiner, Koscielny, Chambers, Mavropanos, Kolasinac; Maitland-Niles, Xhaka, Willock, Mkhitaryan, Iwobi; Welbeck, Nelson, Lacazette, Nketiah.

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
GK: Anyone who can save a penalty.
Defence: Lichtsteiner and Sokratis mainly because they're almost certainly coming. Soyuncu
Midfield: N'Zonzi and Doucoure
Winger: Zaha

Leno???
Bellerin Sokratis Soyuncu Monreal
Doucoure N'Zonzi
Özil Ramsey Zaha
Aubameyang
Squad: Cech; Lichsteiner, Koscielny, Chambers, Mavropanos, Kolasinac; Maitland-Niles, Xhaka, Willock, Mkhitaryan, Iwobi; Welbeck, Nelson, Lacazette, Nketiah.

Woeful midfield, if I ever see those 3 lumbering sack of potatoes in the same midfield I'll stop watching us.

Tir Na Nog

Woeful midfield, if I ever see those 3 lumbering sack of potatoes in the same midfield I'll stop watching us.

It's a good starting point. N'Zonzi controlla, Doucoure with his energy as a B2B, freeing up Rambo to do what he does best making runs and causing mayhem with Özil coming in from a wide position. Ideally we'd have a better pivot as N'Zonzi and Doucoure aren't exactly top 4 quality but neither is Xhaka as evidence on the last two season.

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
It's a good starting point. N'Zonzi controlla, Doucoure with his energy as a B2B, freeing up Rambo to do what he does best making runs and causing mayhem with Özil coming in from a wide position. Ideally we'd have a better pivot as N'Zonzi and Doucoure aren't exactly top 4 quality but neither is Xhaka as evidence on the last two season.

Zero passing and creativity between them tho. Not to mention technical ability in tight spaces and Ramsey generally being whack in AM.

N'zonzi is a fine short passer but he's not controller. I'd actually take Doucoure, sell Ramsey and sign another technical midfielder in the Banega mould. Maybe Ceballos.

However lately I've been thinking that we should go for Mesut in the left interior position in a 433, a bit like Silva for City. Imo he had his best game of the season against Chelsea home in a similar role, although it was more of a 3412 formation, absolutely destroyed Kante and Bakayoko:

Don't know who would fit best in the other positions tho. Think we should be going for a winger honestly, playing Mhki and Özil wide is just too narrow.

HBL

Established Member
Torreira is the perfect player for us. Should play three of him, Ramsey, Özil and Xhaka in the midfield roles in a 433/4141 formation.

Sapient Hawk

Can You Smell What The Hawk Is Cooking?
Trusted ⭐

Sell :

Mustafi, Xhaka, El-Neny, Perez, Martinez, Jenkinson & Ospina

Buy :

Danilo Periera, Rugani, Ducoure & break the bank for Oblak.

Reactions: HBL

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
How about nabbing Bruno Fernandes from Sporting? That club is currently tearing itself apart, so easy pickings. He's a lightweight, technical attacking mid who could be deployed deeper in a 3 man midfield...so a real change of scenery from what we're used to. I reckon it just might be our masterpiece.

Tir Na Nog

It's actually quite depressing making wish-lists of realistic signings that you know won't be good enough to make us compete for top 4 but there's no point making ambitious wish-lists as the club aren't ambitious.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
In:

Oblak €85m
Lichtsteiner (free)
Sokratis €16m
Torreira €22m
Adli (free)
Bailey €50m

Total: €173m

Out:

Mertesacker (free)
Cazorla (free)
Wilshere (free)
Campbell (free)
Jenkinson €3m
Ospina €5m
Mustafi €20m
Welbeck €15m
Ramsey €50m (I like him, but I see him as a '10' not b2b)
Perez €10m
Akpom €2m

Total: €105m
Net: €68m

Ideally I'd also replace Xhaka (not a fan), but replacing so many players in the XI might prove too disruptive.

Oblak
Bellerin - Sokratis - Chambers - Monreal
Torreira - Xhaka
Mkhitaryan - Özil - Bailey
Aubamayeng
Backup:
Cech
Lichtsteiner - Mavropanos - Holding - Kolasinac
Maitland-Niles/Elneny - Adli
Nelson - Mkhitaryan/Iwobi - Iwobi
Lacazette/Nketiah

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced we should just spend big on GK to sort that position out for a decade. Not convinced by the mid-level options (Leno etc.) that are available as alternatives. Don't know enough about Pavlenka or Lafont though admittedly. If we buy a young CB I think it should be Pavard (having looked extensively at Squawka stats on him, Soyuncu, Djene and Diallo). I really wanted De Vrij instead, but that ship has sailed. Would've been a great addition (regardless of price). Would like to add him, but I doubt we'll spend over €100m net. I'm willing to leave that to next season or winter though.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
A bit more clarity, but still a whole lot of murkiness:

The Lichtsteiner signing has got me thinking that I'd really quite like to see Sokratis come in on a 3+1 deal and Benatia come in on a 2+1 deal. Sell Mustafi, send Holding on loan for a year to get regular minutes and your defence would be Bellerin, Lichtsteiner, Benatia, Sokratis, Chambers, Mavropanos, Kos, Monreal & Kolasinac. I include Kos but basically if he plays at all it'll be a bonus, i'm not counting on him. Excluding Kos, you'd have 4 experienced players and 4 young players across the back line. Seems like a good mix to me.

Also tempted by the idea of a great prospect like Pavard, but tbh we have 3 young CBs and i'm quite happy to put faith in them developing more. The least favoured option would be to just add Sokratis and no one else, keeping Mustafi. I wouldn't be outraged by that, I'd accept it, but meh.

In goal, I could hope for Oblak till the cows come home but it ain't happening. I'd really just go for Butland tbh without any fuss. He's still very young for a goalie, he's shown he can be very good but he's had a hard time of it lately. A change of scenery, new goalkeeping coach and a prolonged period of fitness and he can improve for sure. He could be a solid goalie for many years. Let everyone else fight it out for Alisson etc, we're wasting our time with that. 30m on Butland is a sound investment.

That's the clarity. Now the murkiness, still not sure what I'd do with midfield and attack.

You could make a good argument that we don't need a new winger if we were to put faith in Nelson & Iwobi, but you still feel this squad could really do with an injection of energy on the flanks. There are so many names and good cases for all of them, so no point in naming anyone specifically. This position very much depends on the budget.

Midfield's the real sh*tshow, no idea what to do here. I'd love Torreira but I can't see that happening. Essentially I think we should bring one senior central midfielder in, we should also place importance on 3 players already here; Xhaka, Ramsey & AMN. Wilshere leaves, regrettably, Elneny does his squad thing, and i'm quite liking these links to Adli & Barkok.

I'd like to see a senior midfield of Xhaka, Ramsey & New CM, then a youth midfield of say AMN, Adli & Barkok. Maybe loans for Willock and Nwakali.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
- Butland*, Cech, Macey

- Bellerin, Lichtsteiner*, Benatia*, Sokratis*, Kos, Chambers, Mavropanos, Monreal, Kolasinac

- Xhaka, Ramsey, New CM?*, AMN, Elneny, Adli*, Barkok*

- Özil, Mkhi, Iwobi, Nelson, New Winger?*

- Auba, Laca, Welbeck, Nketiah

Arsenal Quotes

I still have an interest in training and development, in the stages that make it possible for players first to acquire technique (between 7 and 12) and then to develop physically (between 12 and 16), then to deepen their mental resilience (between 17 and 19) and finally between 19 and 22 to acquire what is critical, like the roof of a house without which all the rest rots away: intelligence and motivation

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom