• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Wish List

Floating

Established Member
Eh, I'd rather us not sign a lightweight attacking fullback like Coentrao/Lahm. I think we'd benefit from another Sagna/Lauren/Ivanovic type on the left.

Floating

Established Member
outlaw_member said:
Why would we benefit more from having a physical and defensively solid fullback who will invariably offer little in attack?

Because our defense needs to be as sound as possible. We need a back four who lives to defend, who can help us hang on to leads and clear balls into the box and occasionally deliver a good cross or through ball. I feel like our front six is creative enough to supply the chances themselves (with the occasional support of the fullbacks too, of course).

I'm not saying we should tell our fullbacks to stop pressing forward, but basically, if I could clone Sagna as a left-back, I would do it.

outlaw_member

Established Member
Floating said:
Because our defense needs to be as sound as possible. We need a back four who lives to defend, who can help us hang on to leads and clear balls into the box and occasionally deliver a good cross or through ball. I feel like our front six is creative enough to supply the chances themselves (with the occasional support of the fullbacks too, of course).

I'm not saying we should tell our fullbacks to stop pressing forward, but basically, if I could clone Sagna as a left-back, I would do it.

Fullbacks aren't really a part of the defence, though. No team plays with a flat back four, and when in possession of the football, the fullbacks are almost always parallel to the midfielders. So in reality, they are much closer to being a part of the midfield than they are with the defence. You might call it semantics, but it's important that this is really understood.

In your average game, how many occasions are there where Sagna or Clichy have to defend? 3? 4? On the other hand, how many instances manifest in which they have to attack? 10? 15? So when you actually think about it, fullbacks really need to first and foremost be strong offensively, because a large majority of their game, particularly in our setup, revolves around attacking. That's not to say that you shouldn't expect your fullback to be strong defensively. However, our fullbacks do spend a lot more time attacking than they do defending, and their attributes should reflect that.

Cudareli

Antonio Valencia stan
Floating said:
outlaw_member said:
Why would we benefit more from having a physical and defensively solid fullback who will invariably offer little in attack?

This.

We need to establish a solid back defensive 4 and build from there. We are as close as we have been in years, other then Clichy letting the unit down.

If we feel like we need more support in particular games from the fullbacks, then that's when we can look towards Gibbs, Traore and Eboue. Would be a perfect oppurtunity to give Gibbs in particular some game time, whilst ensuring we create a solid unit.

Floating

Established Member
I want Marcell Jansen in for Clichy.

He's 25, 6'3", 30+ caps for Germany, and a great crosser of the ball. According to his Wiki, we expressed interest him in 2006 before he moved to HSV. Interesting.

mo50

Established Member
The lack of quality attacking options is frightening. Other than Arshavin, who is hit and miss, no one can come on and change a game. We definitely need to bring an excellent forward in.

Floating

Established Member
Theo, Cesc, and Nasri can come on and change a game, but they're starters.

How do you rate Milos Krasic from Juventus? He's got power and skill, can play through the middle or on either flank, and can score goals as well.

mo50

Established Member
We've got a half-arsed Arshavin who is the only one that is capable of pulling something out of nothing. Bendtner, for all intents and purposes will never be a right winger, I have no idea why Wenger puts him there.

I definitely rate Krasic, and would have him here without hesitation. He'd be very expensive though, and well out of our price range.

Is it me or did our 2nd string players look much better last season? The likes of Bendtner, Rosicky, Denilson and Diaby all came in and could've done a job. They seem to have all regressed simultaneously.

Floating

Established Member
I want Marcell Jansen, Milos Krasic, and Cheik Tiote/Yann M'Vila.

Clichy, Rosicky, and Denilson can make way.

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
Krasic has obvious skill and technique.. what he lacks is consistency and he DIVES TOO MUCH!!! he's been booked quite a few time, and even suspended because of it this year.. he also goes missing quite a bit during games.. he's either brilliant or horrible

TheEconomist

Established Member
is it just me or does anyone think there has been a big decline in the amount of top quality players who are around over the last 5 years? I dont just mean at Arsenal, i mean in world football

Sure theres a few, but there really arent as many as before...

Floating

Established Member
Hmm, who else is a technical, creative attacking midfielder with a good physique?

They're all very young and raw, but Javier Pastore, Ganso (Paolo Henrique), Stevan Jovetic? How's he been for Fiorentina this season? Seems two campaigns ago he was a real golden boy, but this year he's been quiet.

Arsenal Quotes

A player's true character is in how he plays and not in his social life. You can hide your real personality in your social life, You cannot on the field.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom