• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Wish List

Kain

Established Member
Where the hell is our new centre back?

Season kicks off in just over two weeks, come on Kroenke & Usmanov we’ll never win anything with our current defence, use your billion trillion dollar to buy us a player just once, one defender that’s all, one player who can organise a backline so it won’t part like the red sea when we come under the slightest of opposition attacking pressure, surely they don’t want to see us **** another 40+ goals again this season?

fabo

6.51 / 10
Hopefully we get Cahill at a cheaper price than 17m, Coyle is beginning to sweat I think. Would take Jags aswell.

We need a DM aswell for sure, those signings should have been first priorities in May. Obviously this one is definitely a wishlist signing, it's Frimpong and Ramsey time now.

Le Titi

Wouldn't mind Cissokho or any other solid left-back. Gibbs and Traore aren't good enough options for a title aspiring team. I wish Eboue would stay as back-up for RB as well, hasn't Jenkinson only played about twelve professional games in League One? It'd be a massive ask to step in and cover for the crucial months of a season if Bac got injured. Jagielka or Cahill would do for a centre-back.

I also wish Arsène would either buy a defensive-mid or put the reigns on Song. I actually think the guy can play well in the DM position when he is told to do so (Man Utd at Emirates last season), but I just fear he isn't warned about getting too high up the pitch needlessly. Final wish is to spend a lot more time making training boring and work on defending set-pieces; for extremely obvious reasons.

Clarkey

Further on the defensive front, since Sol is training with us at the moment anyway get offering him a coaching deal. Even if just to earn his badges. With the Birmingham situation rumbling on, I'd be happy enough with Scott Dann.

ebouenolike

Established Member
My thoughts exactly.

Scott Dann is a heap of ****, and a right piece of work to boot. Would be thoroughly disgusted on many levels if we signed him.

Armor for Sleep

Established Member
I've seen a few comments sayng Jagielka is versatile... not so sure. When did he last play in midfield? As for RB - saw him play there for England before and he's not a right back and never will be.

I'd prefer Cahill but we're not really in a position to moan if we get Jags. I have my concerns but there is no question that Vermaelen/Jags/Koscielny/Djourou looks a whole lot better than Verm/Kos/Djourou/Squil.

Anzac

Established Member
AFC-Phil said:
Do you mean CM, Ball winning CM or DM?

Depends on our shape & roles both in midfield AND the CBs.

IMO if we're to persist with short quick CBs we need a DM type to protect the hole from direct balls played in & provide height & presence at set pieces. If we do get some presence at CB then we don't need a DM type to do so. If we play the pyramid shape in a 4231 we need to improve upon Song's mobility & positioning, whereas with an inverted shape we can get away with Song as the starting role and look to provide genuine competition in the position & role.

With our persistance in playing a higher line than most we can go with a flat midfield 3 with a ball winning CM role in the middle, with the outer 2 CMs working the creative B2B and providing cover to the flanks.

In many ways the key is how AW sets the defence and attacking patterns and roles. No point having a big physical CB if you play a high line and require pace to cover balls being played over the top. The only time you may actually require such attributes is at set pieces, which could be provided from elsewhere so long as they are brave enough & have enough clues.

fabo

6.51 / 10
AFC-Phil said:

Don't want a Makelele midfielder really, actually I think Gilberto would be less effective than he was at his best if he played in our current side.

I want a midfielder who is:
1. Very mobile, quick turn of pace, agile, covers loads of ground, good recovery pace.
2. Strong, snuffs out tackles, reads the game well.
3. Relatively experienced

Less concerned about incredible technique or passing range.

I'd say a box-to-box midfielder who can also sit deeper when the need arises i.e yesterday at 2-0, second half at home to Sp**s in the 2-3.

Right now the midfield has little or no experience and without Cesc will be majorly found out next season I think.

I can't believe people are sweeping the midfield problem under the carpet, buying a CM should go hand in hand with a CB purchase IMO, looking at our current flaws. Buying one without the other and I think we'll still suffer somewhat.

ricky1985

Established Member
fabo said:
AFC-Phil said:

Don't want a Makelele midfielder really, actually I think Gilberto would be less effective than he was at his best if he played in our current side.

I want a midfielder who is:
1. Very mobile, quick turn of pace, agile, covers loads of ground, good recovery pace.
2. Strong, snuffs out tackles, reads the game well.
3. Relatively experienced

Less concerned about incredible technique or passing range.

I'd say a box-to-box midfielder who can also sit deeper when the need arises i.e yesterday at 2-0, second half at home to Sp**s in the 2-3.
Other than the experience part, you've just described Frimpong to a tee, Fabo.

fabo

6.51 / 10
Experience is a deal-breaker for me mate.

Loan Frimpong out and buy someone, if we're gonna be cheap then Parker. A year of consistent football would do Frimpong the world of good.

Our midfield is scary atm, and not in a good way.

ricky1985

Established Member
It will look far better today with Ramsey and Wilshere paying together at full-tilt. Even if Song is there missing tackles and charging around like a blind rhinoceros.

fabo

6.51 / 10
Wilshere will help us for sure, he's the only thing stopping our midfield from being disgustingly average right now. Ramsey looks OK at best to me at this stage - good passing when he has time and a dangerous shot, not convinced about alot of his game yet though.

Song is still a certain starter, with our current personnel he must play.

Ron Burgundy

Established Member
ricky1985 said:
It will look far better today with Ramsey and Wilshere paying together at full-tilt. Even if Song is there missing tackles and charging around like a blind rhinoceros.
You really do hate Song! :lol:

fabo

6.51 / 10
The Song hate is definitely going too far on this site, it's fashionable to criticise him now but still, I'd have him in the side ahead of Ramsey and Frimpong/Diaby without hesitation.

Ricky used to love him IIRC.........:angel

Arsenal Quotes

Nobody has enough talent to live on talent alone. Even when you have talent, a life without work goes nowhere

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom