• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The youngsters lose

Mark

Established Member
that was a rather poor performance particularly attacking wise, clichy was too far forward for the goal we conceeded leaving the left back position exposed and juninho had far too much room and of course he scored. anyone know if they use the away goal rule in this competition?

we never looked like scoring, the final ball was always rather poor and there were so many boro players back it was very difficult, quincy and bentley looked good however quincy's inexperience showed a lot paritcularly in the first half whenever kanu threaded a ball to him his first touch was poor or he simply took too many touches.

hopefully we'll play a slightly stronger team in the second leg, but we've made it rather hard for ourselves.

laolu

so much for resting Henry in the return leg

Bergy and Wiltord should be fit

or else, we'll be forced to play Henry

patrick42uk

Established Member
why should we play henry? its not a necessity to win this cup, this is the 'kids cup', it would have been great if they won it, but this cup is right at the bottom of our list of priorities.

thierrys_girl

Established Member
patrick42uk said:
why should we play henry? its not a necessity to win this cup, this is the 'kids cup', it would have been great if they won it, but this cup is right at the bottom of our list of priorities.

thats true, id rather lose this cup and do well in the FA Cup. But it is nice to win everything :wink:

thegame24

Established Member
we wernt that good in attack. yea away rules goal in this comp.

i thought bentley was dreadful again, everyone says this and that about him but know way could he hack the prem not yet anyway.
next bergkamp??
he is so cocky and confident in his ability, so i really expect him TO back it up! but failed again. only thing in his defence is that its only 3rd time ive seen him play and all where in the carling cup this year so maybe hes just off form.

quincy is good off the ball and he does have great skill , however, he is still inexperienced.

Edu, parlour and gilberto all very good, i think edu deserves to start next match though.

kanu only attacker who was gonna do anything but lacked in the final part of his play.

clichy WOW he is fast. mest up once but came back to try and cover. quite good player.

stack is looking to be a great goalie.

cygan and keown played well.

kolo brilliant as usual

ryan smith is pretty decent.

boro deserved to win, i hope to see us go through it will be tough but we can do it.

Andrew

It wasn't too bad. Our youngsters (although not all were young) match boro everywhere except in creating chances. We dominated the match overall but never looked like scoring a goal.

Edu today was very dissapointing. I thought Clichy wasn't too bad. Stack made some good saves. Cygan made some crucial interceptions but also had some slip-ups. Keown wasn't really at his best, as was Toure. Quincy never looked threatening, reminds me a bit of C. Ronaldo, all these tricks but doesn't get anywhere. Overall if we were going to score a goal Kanu had to be involved, he was our only player penetrating their defence. Bentley probably had the best chances but one shot was way to high and one was too low and straight at the goalkeeper. And Gilberto was good in defence, but pretty ordinary in attack. When he gets in goalshooting positions he should just shoot it because he has a pretty mean shot at times, and if he doesn't shoot it just fizzles out to nothing. Smith was ok and if we are going to stick with the youngsters in the next match maybe he should get a go instead of Quincy.

If we stick with the youngsters next match then I doubt we'll be able to make up and go on to the final. But I don't think Wenger should panic and through in the first team, because this competition isn't really worth it... and I don't think he will, seeing he had no real stars on the bench (ie. Pires, Henry, Vieira etc.) just in case we fell behind. If we do go with the first team we will probably go onto the final but I think to make this competition worth something we should keep giving our youngsters experience.

kanuuu

Established Member
Edu played great tonight, almost won every ball in midfield, probably our best player overall, clichy and toure were very impressive aswell

Andrew

kanuuu said:
Edu played great tonight, almost won every ball in midfield, probably our best player overall, clichy and toure were very impressive aswell

Yeah, come to think of it Edu played alright... Stuffed up in attack on occasions though. Very good in defence. I take back what I said.

Still don't think Toure was at his best.

Sol man

I totally agreee the the game. Bently was poor, there has been a lot of hype about him but in the last two games I have not seen anything that shows me he is going to be a brilliant player. Bentley tends to try and be flashy when he could have done thing the easy way. Boro deserved the win and our star men were Edu and Clichy (despite being at fault for the goal). I would still prefer to see the young guns in the second round becuase they got us where we are and it would not air on them if they were removed.

Edu was by far the best player on the pitch, he was outstanding and won nearly every ball in the midfield!! What game were u watching Andrew?

Ally

Didn't think anyone was particularly up to much save for the two centre halves to be honest.

Mark

Established Member
yeah the attacking was poor, the reason for this i think was, parlour was wide right of midfield so there was no real attacking threat down that side, kanu was playing far too deep trying to feed the ball into players like quincy and bentley who just lacked confidence when it really mattered. i thought they looked quite composed on the ball though, just lacking a bit of spark and we never really looked like scoring at all. hopefully for the next leg we can have bergkamp upfront and wiltord on the right so we have more attacking options and i think it would be better to play bentley upfront too as that is his preferred position, he's right footed and doesn't look as good as he could do on the left.

thegame24

Established Member
i hope wiltord is fit for the next game, and its a shame kanu is off cause he is so damn good at holding the ball, BUT Y CANT HE FINISH???!!!!

Arsenal Quotes

Arsène Wenger's idea is not only to play good football. It's to play good football to win. In my day, we knew that with our style we could hurt teams and win trophies too. But we did it our way, with the positional game, passing, movement.

Dennis Bergkamp

Latest posts

Top Bottom