• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The youngsters lose

Ridge

Quincy wasnt that impressing, i thought Wenger would let Kolo partner Kanu in the second half ! ;D

zerofeel

Quincy was too lazy to work for the team though he showed pockets of brilliance with his nifty footwork but he can still improve he got time on his side...should have played bentley upfront with kanu cos he creates chances and open up spaces much creatively than Quincy will.No matter what,i think Arsenal showed that they have a few promising talents in the team and the future looks bright for us...well done boys! motm for me would be EDU!

Soler

Established Member
Allyboy said:
Swap Bentley, Parlour, Edu and Quincy for Pires, Freddy, Vieria and Henry and the end outcome will be much more satisfactory.

Agreed. Our younger guys just didn't have the experience needed to break through 10 men playing defence, whereas you send Vieira, Pires, Ljungberg and Henry out there they'd smash through it. 0-1 win for Boro against a bunch of kids, Kolo and Kanu, and Keown and Cygan, and Edu and Gilberto wasn't really that much when you think about it. They would've never done that against any of our regular first teamers.

Natnat

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I though Quincey fine he be supereb remenber he is only 17.
Stack made great saves

Chips&CurrySauce

Edu was easliy our best player. His tackling was superb and he also played the strikkers through a couple of times. Of the senior players he was the best, I thought Gilberto looked typically average, once again losing the ball when in possession! Parlour also had a poor game.

Of the youngsters I was most impressed with Smith. Even though he was only on for 20 minutes you can see how talented he is. I'm convinced Ryan Smith will be a future world star. Not sure about Bentley though who was playing out of position and Quincy looks talented but I also got theimpression he was a bit lazy. Hardly never closed down the keeper for example. As for Clichy, he is electric and he defiantely was not at fault for the goal, he had to cover for Keown's terribel mistake. At 18 Clichy looks a superb defender!

Webdesignlab

Established Member
The kids ... gawd bless em!

Oh well, it's strange to lose isn't it? LOL. We are not used to it anymore.

The youngsters at the front just were not good enough last night. If that had been Pires, Freddie and Henry it would have been 4-1 again.

But this competition (for us) is all about youth. So I say let them all play in the next leg and get that experience.

So what if we lose? When we first thought like that we won, so stop thinking this is important. The kids are alright. They have done really well to beat Rotherham, Wolves and W Brom, Mboro were not really great but we did not have any attack apart from Kanu, who does not score often.

Put on a youth team again, let this cup go. Imagine Henry or Pires get's injured playing the next leg? No way.

Piston Broke

Right No one else has said it so i will Quincy was POO! he was even lazier than Kanu,his fancy footwork fooled no-one,his first touch was awful,& he has no Left foot He is however very good at taking the ball from a great goalscoring postion to the corner flag maybe we should stick him in defence

Clichy & Edu were Great

Gunner Ossie

Would It not be a better idea to play the first team in the next leg, win the tie, and then let the kids have a go at winning the final. Surely an appearrance in a final with mega pressure will be more beneficial to them than a getting a thumping up at boro and going out in the semi.

Heres food for thought

If the youngsters can control most of the game against boro what does that say about their readiness for first tream action?

I think anything other than a heavy defeat up at boro will be a good result bearing in mind their inexperience.

Chips&CurrySauce

I mentioned previously (a few posts back) that Quincy seemed lazy. He wasnt really closing down defenders and especially the keeper. He is still only 17 though and it is very harsh to call him poo when he was playing against Ehiogu who is a very experienced and strong centre back. Don't forget Middlesbrough have one of the best defences in the league, they kept about 6 clean sheets on the trot!

You're right that Edu and cLichy were outstanding!

Soler

Established Member
-nod- Quincy wasn't overly impressive. But, for the return leg, perhaps we could stick Henry and Vieira on the bench just to scare the pants off Boro? :D

Beany

ITK
Trusted ⭐

The bottom line is that if Weger really wanted to win this comp we'd win it.

Tempting as it may be to go gangbusters for it Wenger needs to look at the wider picture; he's aid he'll play basically the same team (not sure who'll come in for Kanu) and he is a man of his word.

jc8gooner

I was not too disappointed that we lost 1-0 last night. If it had been more than that, it would have made it difficult to get to the final.
I am still confident we can get there, and it's all about the team selection for the second leg now. Vieira is suspended against Man City on Feb 1st, so why not play him against Boro on Feb 28th? Henry and Pires should be on the bench, providing Bergkamp and Wiltord are fit to start. Leave Bentley and Clichy in cos they are the best of our youngsters at the moment I think. As for the rest of the team, it should pick itself really.

As for the young kids that played last night, I was impressed with Ryan Smith most. He is quick, direct, doesn't overdo it (Quincy!) and looks like he could grow to be a strong guy too. Quincy has talent, but wasn't direct enough. His first touch wasn't great either. Bentley was really good too; showed some great touches, got into goal-scoring positions, and made fools of some old pros with good skills. Clichy is just brilliant. Nuff said.

Adam

Established Member
Last night we suffered from a lack of goal scoring potential in midfield - Gilberto, Parlour, Edu and an out of position Bentley.

The performance was promising but not coherent - which is expected.

The players showed their skill, but without the end product - nurtured with experience.

What is important is that the youngsters showcased their talent in patches. Hugely impressive.

jc8gooner

Last night we suffered from a lack of goal scoring potential in midfield - Gilberto, Parlour, Edu and an out of position Bentley.

The performance was promising but not coherent - which is expected.

The players showed their skill, but without the end product - nurtured with experience.

What is important is that the youngsters showcased their talent in patches. Hugely impressive.
Excellently put. I agree totally. There were lots of positives to take from last night- we kept possession really well against a good side on their day. We just couldn't score.

Taozhe

I was hoping for a draw actually :)

oh well, lets see how the kids respond to pressure in the 2nd leg. Trying to win by two goals vs borough :)

Andrew

By playing the youngsters again we have nothing to lose and all to gain. If we put out best team in then it looks as if we care about this competition and if we don't win it then it will be a failure. Just look at how Vieira and Pires were laughing away in the stands even though we were 1-0 down... they don't care. It is however a good way to give our youngsters some experience against playing at the top level. And also, it shows just why Wenger is very careful with playing some of the youth.

JMICA

Edu was good as a defensive midfielder but his passing was woeful. There was a phase when he misplaced three passes in a matter of two minutes. However I still think he was our best player on the night. The kids did alright on the whole. Bentley was disappointing but Clichy was magnificent even though he was at fault for their grow. I liked Stack a lot - he looks assured. I don't really think that we need to buy another goalkeeper such as Frey. We should save our money for a decent striker (Kanu was disappointing - I expected much more from him) :angel

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
As Paul Merson said on telly, Boro should have been expected to win last night, given the team we put out. It wasn't a bad performance by any means, but why were Quincy and Kanu so bloody elaborate every time they got the ball? Kanu always wants three touches when one would do!
Also, seeing the goal from behind the play as it were, as Boro attacked, there were two of our midfielders walking back- what was that about?

AFCG7

Established Member
My mate in ENgland went to the game.. and he thought we played quite well except for the front 2 or 3 if you count Kanu Bentley and Quincy.
Apparently most fans are excited about Quincy but were really pissed at his performance in recent games.. he's holding the ball too long .. lots of tricks but all coming to nought because of this.
Bentley played well but tried to do too much with the ball when simplicity would have been the way to go up front.
The guys are still young ..i am sure Wenger will sort it out before the second leg and hopefully we can push Boro harder with the players we have

Arsenal Quotes

I started clapping myself... until I realised that I was Sunderland's manager.

Peter Reid after Bergkamp's goal against Sunderland.
Top Bottom