• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Thierry Henry

Status
Not open for further replies.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Sol and Jens had positive impacts so why wouldn't arguably our greatest player of the Wenger era?

dpt49

Established Member
truth_hurts said:
Sol and Jens had positive impacts so why wouldn't arguably our greatest player of the Wenger era?

Sol was ok for a few games and Jens hardly played.

I'm worried that a player whose pace was one of his main assets will no longer be able to perform in the worlds hardest league, especially coming from the MLS where most players go to retire

kenkbc2

Re: Wenger considers re-signing of Thierry Henry

Needing to invest or will invest are two different things.

1. Do we need to invest? Yes, I definitely think we do (minimum a LW/striker and a LB, because I've given up on Gibbs for this season and Arshavin is..well he's gone as far as I'm concerned)

2. Will we invest? I think experience has shown us that we normally won't and we'll all be dissapointed again come 31st January.

So, we're stuck with what we've got (and hope for the best this season, which is 5th if we're being realistic) or take a gamble and go for what's available on the cheap to make a difference.

Henry's legacy will never be in jeopardy, he's immortalized by his previous stint here. Let's think of the present rather than the past, and the truth is that Arshavin and Chamakh are so crap at the moment, Henry at 40 will probably still be better, let alone 33.

a_fourteen

Established Member

henry has not played at the highest level for almost three seasons now. his last season at barca was on the bench, his first in NY was marred by injury and this season with the red bulls has not gone so well for the team despite he personally getting on the score sheet often.
bringing him back to europe and throwing him into the prem would be a very bad idea. i doubt wenger is seriously considering this. probably more media hype and speculation than anything else.

Dave_Ja_Vu

I'd rather not to be honest.

Sure, he'd do more for us than Chamakh and Park would, but shouldn't we be showing a bit more ambition than getting a player who's simply 'better than Chamakh and Park'?

If he rejoins, for me, the default first memory of Henry, after this season, will be the freshest memory, i.e. this 2 month loan spell. I want to remember Henry how he was, in his prime, not as a slow 34 year old, bit part player for a couple of months. I even try to not think about Henry in 06/07, when for me, his decline and loss of pace were quite noticeable.

Though that's not to say if he does rejoin I won't get caught up in the nostalgia at the games!

PS I won't be on for a few days, so merry Christmas everyone.

Floating

Established Member
I am so torn about this one. He's a legend, and most likely still has it — but shouldn't we be aiming a bit higher with £40m to spend?

redwhiteAustrian

Tu Felix Austria
Administrator
As long as Chamakh is here, we won't sign a decent backup for Robin, so having Henry for around two months is better than having no one.

kopzilla

Always Negative

I'm not too worried about how he would cope.

He has been training with the squad for quite some time.

He'll provide that final ball/assist/cross for Robin so that Robin doesn't have to drop deeper.

If Arshavin goes, that would open up the possibility of getting Podolski/Goetze.I get the feeling that he is after some different player altogether.

Floating

Established Member

I think it's less about "will he ruin his legacy?" and more about "is a 34-year-old Henry really the best we can do?"

DiamondGooner

Established Member

The way I see it, it was because of him we lost in the Emirates final so he obviously is still a capable player.

If it's between Henry or Park and Chamakh I want to see Henry coming on the pitch however this should in no way stop Wenger from buying another full time striker.

Mastadon

Established Member
Floating said:
I am so torn about this one. He's a legend, and most likely still has it — but shouldn't we be aiming a bit higher with £40m to spend?

We can spend the 40m on other players Henry doesnt have to be our only piece of business. From the videos I have seen of him this year he can still score goals and would be a penalty box type poacher with bits of skill thrown in at random. This is a no brainer yes for me would love to see him play for us again.

Herbas

I think Henry can do van Persie's CF role. RvP himself doesn't beat players by dribbling or pace nowadays, all of his goals are by hitting crossed/loose balls or taking two steps and then shooting.
I don't see why Henry can't do the same.

However, I'm against him as WF. Pace and dribbling is essential there in our formation.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

Find it really strange anyone can be against this. The lift to the club would be massive, players and fans. No one expects miracles from him. How can he possibly tarnish his image?!?! You've got to be mental to let a two month return change your view of him... Mental I tells you...

mavelous

Tinfoil hat aficionado

Just imagine him at the end of the chances Yao, Ramsey, Arshavin or Theo have been getting.

Exactly.

mo50

Established Member

No no no no no. Please no. Sure, he could do a job but so could dozens of other strikers. I don't want to see him huffing and puffing, and failing to beat his man with ease.

Besides, how ackward would it be having a statue of a player who currently plays for you.

kopzilla

Always Negative
Seedorf and Giggs are still around.

Their bodies might have taken a beating but their experience is still invaluable.

mistaT

Established Member
kopzilla said:
Seedorf and Giggs are still around.

Their bodies might have taken a beating but their experience is still invaluable.

Seedorf is a machine, I'd consider him one of the most under rated players of our generation.

Been doing it for two decades, won the CL with three teams, and is still a major part of a strong Milan team at 35.

As for Henry I do have to imagine he'll play primarily as a CF in an effort to rest RVP.

So if signing Henry means no LWF/RWF then I'm against it, however if its just a quicky to help us at CF then sure.

jmsmtthw28

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Sign Henry for 2 months and swap between Park and Henry like we are doing with Coquelin and Frimpong
Giving both playing time

RUS arsenal

Established Member

I'd rather see another long term attacking option signed....if Wenger feels he needs Henry in the short-term on top of that, then go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Arsenal are the most beautiful club in England. At Man City and Chelsea, they will never have that class and style.

Marco van Basten

Daily Transfer Updates

Sunday, May 2

Fulham have made Emile Smith Rowe a priority this summer and are ready to bid for him [Mike McGrath - The Telegraph]

Arsenal have scouted Las Palmas goalkeeper Alvaro Valles as they prepare to part company with Aaron Ramsdale [Ryan Taylor - The Mirror]

Arsenal have set a deadline of two weeks to complete the signing of Benjamin Šeško [Sky Germany]

Napoli striker Victor Osimhen is expecting an offer from Arsenal [Gazzetta]

Latest posts

Top Bottom