• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Thierry Henry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Invincible

Established Member
To be honest I hope he turns it down.

I'd hate to see him getting owned by rubbish defenders and losing his unbeaten record against Sp**s.

Show some ambition Wenger you tight bastard, and bring in a top class striker who isn't on his last legs.

Vinci

The Sultan of Unai

It's for two months. Don't sit on your pennies, Wenger, and spend it on a striker for long-term.

ibby

Established Member
Save the "long-term" forward for the summer. More options, less expensive, more time to sit and muse on who we want while England win the Euros. Let's resign our greatest player ever in the meantime. This is happening.

jerome2158

Established Member
The reason Henry has a statue outside the stadium is because he was willing to put it on the line and do what it took to advance the club, and was a brilliant player in doing so. His legacy is his commitment to the club.

If he signs for us again and doesn't do great, absolutely no one in the world is going to forget what he did for the club. It's not as if his status here hangs in the balance over how he performs in the next 2 months.

Trust me, his legacy/reputation is intact, and cannot be questioned by anyone, regardless of how this all goes.

And if he does sign, I will almost certainly be getting his shirt...and quite possibly flying over to see him play just once.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
I don't want this to happen. It'll be sad seeing Henry as a pensioner when he was once the greatest the PL had ever seen.

DK Gooner

I don't think he has what it takes any more to push this team to the level we need at the moment. We require someone who can have a significant impact within a very short space of time. I don't think that those needs favour Henry.

- He has been playing in a significantly inferior league for a few seasons and has lost some of the physical gifts he had when he was last year. To get up to scratch will take time and if he's only here for two months, he may be forced to go just as he reaches a decent level.

- One of the biggest problems has been giving our subs decent minutes. Henry is highly unlikely to go into the starting line-up, and if he is only given sub minutes, he is not going to reach peak match fitness quickly.

- It might be detrimental to our play if the team tries to play with Henry imagining him to be like he was previously. At the moment, a lot of our team perform in way to maximise chances for RVP. His new team mates could end up passing it to him too much expecting him to do something thus passing the buck.That could be true if he plays as a WF or as a replacement for RVP. Also, if his impact on the team does not work out as envisaged, it could have an effect on team morale particularly if results are not as expected.

- Henry would not be here for the long-term and there is a positive as well as a negative. The plus side is that it delays the decision on getting a striker permanently until the summer where choice is far better and prices more negotiable. The downside is that we could be pushing our permanent options further away from the first team. The lack of action will not help them if we need them should Henry not perform as hoped and also once he has left if any of our current starting options is injured at the time.

Overall I don't think Henry's legacy will be questioned and while I don't doubt his desire or commitment, there are just too many potential problems/doubts to make this deal worthwhile. Given our situation playing catch up for a top 4 spot, Wenger's decision could backfire spectacularly.

kenkbc2

Like it or not..looks like this is happening.

Hope he does a Henrik Larsson for us during his short stint here.

fabo

6.51 / 10
Henry's legacy won't be tarnished, he's the greatest PL player ever regardless, but it stinks of a lack of ambition YET AGAIN from the club as we definitely won't be adding 2 forwards in January.

Can't say I won't be excited to watch him again if it does happen.

Glovegun

Established Member
The point is that the bloke can still finish. You don't lose that. If he wasn't such an utter, utter cretin then even someone like van Nistelrooy would do, if he can still walk.

I don't think anyone's suggesting he'd be an automatic starter, but games like the Wolves one flummox us. You should be bringing goal threats off the bench instead of Arshavin and Chamakh, neither of whom can score to save their lives right now.

I wouldn't concern yourselves about his fitness or pace. Wenger managed to whip Sol into shape. Remember him out sprinting Bale at WHL? He can definitely do the same with Henry. If he needed to to begin with.

fabo

6.51 / 10
What concerns me is that Arshavin would still be an automatic starter once Gervinho goes, unless we add a starting player. Wenger won't push AOC ahead of him right now, and Henry IMO cannot play wide at this point in his career, as a starter anyway.

If we're getting 2 players in, then I'm all for it.

Surely Henry signing all but confirms that Park isn't up to it too. Pointless signing if I ever seen one, basically pissed 3m against the wall.

fabo

6.51 / 10
Funny thing is that Henry is still in far better shape than Arshavin, but I get the feeling that Wenger is trying to appease Arsh by giving him minutes recently, even though he looks like garbage for the most part, with the view to starting him more consistently when Gervinho goes.

Blah, I knew the wide forward positions were a mess going into this season Costly.

eye4goal

Established Member
Park was signed for commercial reasons by the looks of it. This really shows how little the club has moved forward in the last 5 years or so. We should have signed quality rather than promoting the likes of Vela and Bendtner. The amount of dead-wood in attacking positions we have in our books is unreal

spartandre217

Established Member
fabo said:
Funny thing is that Henry is still in far better shape than Arshavin, but I get the feeling that Wenger is trying to appease Arsh by giving him minutes recently, even though he looks like garbage for the most part, with the view to starting him more consistently when Gervinho goes.

Blah, I knew the wide forward positions were a mess going into this season Costly.

Gotta say Fabo, you did call it earlier in the season that our WF options would be lacking and that we'd struggle in attack without clinical finishers. Looks that you've been proven very very right so far ;(

I'd really hope the Park signing wasn't just for commercial reasons, I'd be properly disgusted were that the case.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2079585/Thierry-Henry-offered-loan-Arsenal.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... senal.html</a>

looks like we will know in a few days.

Kwaku

Henry came back to say goodbye in the Summer, he doesn't need to return to do that again. If Henry wasn't training at Arsenal, would Wenger even of considered this option? No

The board is just being lazy. Instead of tackling the issue that we have up front with a real signing, they are going for the cheap alternative that will make fans happy due to sentimental reasons.

There is not a player ever in football that I love more than Henry, but I'm not infavour of him coming back. There is a reason why he does play in the MLS.

dpt49

Established Member
Kwaku said:
Henry came back to say goodbye in the Summer, he doesn't need to return to do that again. If Henry wasn't training at Arsenal, would Wenger even of considered this option? No

The board is just being lazy. Instead of tackling the issue that we have up front with a real signing, they are going for the cheap alternative that will make fans happy due to sentimental reasons.

There is not a player ever in football that I love more than Henry, but I'm not infavour of him coming back. There is a reason why he does play in the MLS.
I agree with all of this.
We take the cheap option once again

Glovegun

Established Member
Wenger will have been watching him like a hawk in training, and I firmly believe that if he isn't up to it then we won't have him back. Wenger was proved right with Sol after all, and that was met with far more scepticism. He won't be asking himself what Thierry can do in a year's time, which is how he probably judges most players he looks at, but whether he can do it right now. If Henry does re-sign I think we can be fairly sure that he's still got it. Wenger doesn't bring in players the wrong side of thirty for no reason.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Henry is better than nothing. Wenger will go for a top strikers in the summer I think, not many options around in Jan, unless you want to pay over the odds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Football is a bit like elections. Before it's unpredictable. After it's unexplainable... But there's an opportunity for us to make it unforgettable.

Arsène Wenger

Daily Transfer Updates

Monday, May 20

Thomas Partey is wanted by clubs in Saudi Arabia, with just one year left on his deal [Evening Standard]

Pedro Neto & Nico Williams are admired by the club, while they have also watched Amadou Onana and Martin Zubimendi this season [Evening Standard]

Cedric Soares confirms his departure from the club [Arsenal.com]

Borussia Dortmund will rival Arsenal to sign Fenerbache LB Ferdi Kadıoğlu [Takvim]

Latest posts

Top Bottom