• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Thomas Hitzlsperger

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
Anzac said:
Klaus Daimler said:
If we go for Hitz it's probably because he's able backup on two positions, doesn't cost much and won't command a high salary.

So he's a bench player as opposed to being a starter then?
What positions will he cover?
And we must be flush for money if AW can afford to sign a bench player before he secures his targets for the 1st team.
I honestly don't know, I'm not the one interested in signing him ;) Though I probably would have done it too if I'd been the manager. But a reasonable guess would be to expect him to be a part player rather than a starter. The positions he's capable of playing are attacking midfield (both wide roles) and central midfield. If we really are in for him I think it's more a case of taking advantage of the opportunity rather than prioritising Hitzlsperger in front of other signings. If we don't move for him now others will. As longrufus said, if Hizlsperger can get the 25 starts Diaby got last year he's no doubt an improvement on the squad.

qs

Established Member
longrufus said:
If he replaces Diaby in terms of number and games and involvement, then we have improved. And at £5m he is cheap, we could easily fund such a move by offloading deadweight in the squad.

Spot on. People keep acting as if modern football is a game where you've a starting 11 and everyone else is back up. We need a strong squad to compete and not to compete on all fronts but to compete at all in the league. The problem over the last few years is that our back ups have been rubbish players and kids thrown in at the deep end. Hitzlsperger isn't a superstar but he'd be a more solid player with experience and leadership who can cover a few positions. For £5m he'd add plenty to the squad.

Anzac

Established Member
qs said:
Spot on. People keep acting as if modern football is a game where you've a starting 11 and everyone else is back up. We need a strong squad to compete and not to compete on all fronts but to compete at all in the league. The problem over the last few years is that our back ups have been rubbish players and kids thrown in at the deep end. Hitzlsperger isn't a superstar but he'd be a more solid player with experience and leadership who can cover a few positions. For £5m he'd add plenty to the squad.

This. We've lost ground as CFC & ManU switched to a bigger squad & a 1st 15-18 in a 22 man squad, while we've maintained a 1st 13 supplemented by developing players. For too long supporters have bought into the myth that our 1st XI is as strong as anyone on the day, but your 1st XI only wins you individual matches, the squad wins you the title / silverware.

fabo

6.51 / 10
If he was signed along with a more mobile, aggressive ball winner I'd be delighted. But to sign two CM's we'd certainly need to offload a few players. If he'd be taking the role of the current 'squad' players like Diaby then they wouldn't be needed.

Anzac

Established Member
Yup - as I said elsewhere I have no issues if AW want a mini cull so long as he replaces the numbers with quality, not just quantity.

longrufus

Established Member
qs said:
longrufus said:
If he replaces Diaby in terms of number and games and involvement, then we have improved. And at £5m he is cheap, we could easily fund such a move by offloading deadweight in the squad.

Exactly QS, minor improvements in the squad can have massive improvements in performance. You can easily have the best starting 11 but if your squad isnt upto scratch then your going to get nowhere as injuries, susupensions and a form all play a part, you need to be able to call on and depend on your entire squad.

For those who think otherwise look no further than Liverpool, by adding average players like Benayoun and Reira to a developing squad they improved drastically.

Anzac

Established Member
longrufus said:
qs said:
Exactly QS, minor improvements in the squad can have massive improvements in performance. You can easily have the best starting 11 but if your squad isnt upto scratch then your going to get nowhere as injuries, susupensions and a form all play a part, you need to be able to call on and depend on your entire squad.

For those who think otherwise look no further than Liverpool, by adding average players like Benayoun and Reira to a developing squad they improved drastically.

Exactly - they are the proof in the pudding as such. Another example of this is the roles played by the likes of Scholes & Co in the older brigade at ManU. They compliment a 1st XI that is pretty much good enough in it's own right, as opposed to needing to sign starting players to improve your 1st XI.

clockwork orange

Blind faith in "LVG filoshophy"
vanPersie said:
clockwork orange said:
If we go for a Stuttgart player to partner Cesc, why Hitzl, when they've got Khedira?

I don't think Wenger sits there and thinks 'what I really want is a Stuttgart player to partner Cesc...', I imagine if we do go for him then its because Wenger is an admirer of Hitzlsperger as an individual player.
Of course, I don't think Wenger is thinking that either.

I'm just wondering how a scout can watch VFB and recommend Hitzl, while he's watching Khedira too. Hitzl is cheaper for sure & I hope he'ld deliver, but I'm not too convinced about it. I'ld not sign him. Khedira on the other hand could well make sense.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
Make alot of sense Clockwerk.

Khedira is younger and much better potentially. Currently they are almost on par though

clockwork orange

Blind faith in "LVG filoshophy"
In a lot of aspects Khedira already is better than him. My main problem with Hitzl is that he tends to slow the game down by taking too much time cq a touch too many.

kamikaze80

Established Member
Klaus Daimler said:
If we go for Hitz it's probably because he's able backup on two positions, doesn't cost much and won't command a high salary.
we already have backup. they're called song, denilson and diaby. we need automatic first team starters only. we have depth up the wazoo.

re: benayoun, he was never average. intelligent player, very tricky, good technique, good passer.

Kraig

Established Member
kamikaze80 said:
Klaus Daimler said:
we already have backup. they're called song, denilson and diaby. we need automatic first team starters only. we have depth up the wazoo.

but do we have good enough depth? are those players capable of coming in and performing when we need them too. hate to mention him again but we need players like fletcher, park etc who will come in and perform. diaby, denilson and song dont fill me with that level of confidence.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
kamikaze80 said:
Klaus Daimler said:
There's a difference between depth and good depth. As someone pointed out, Diaby started 25 games last season. Eboue started even more. Give those games to someone like Hitzlsperger instead and I guarantee you that we wouldn't look as bad whenever our regulars are out injured. You're one of the people who're advocating better squad depth most around here. Why this sudden turnaround?

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
Theres absolutely no chance Wenger sell his young prodigies that he nurtured for so long and buy people like Hitz for backup and waste his payroll

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
There is if they fail to deliver on the talent (see Aliadiere and Upson, for example). I agree though, it's very unlikely that Diaby doesn't get at least one more season. Which I think he should have. It certainly doesn't hurt to have another backup option though.

qs

Established Member
kamikaze80 said:
Klaus Daimler said:

The point is having a guy like Hitzlsperger to play the games Diaby and Eboue get in the midfield would make a big difference to us. We usually do fine when everyones available but as soon as a first teamer or 2 get injured we fall apart. Theres a reason for that. In midfield a new starter is an essential but another decent, experienced player as well would be a massive bonus.

qs

Established Member
Again thats just first 11 mentality. He'd have played over 30 games if we'd had him last year. Thats more than enough to get into the German squad if you do well.

Zico

Established Member
The only position where it seems that managers are usually loathe to rotate their best players is central defense. All other positions, it's very easy to start 20 plus games as a 2nd string player and play maybe as many more as a sub. I have always advocated selling off some of our lesser players and getting a better 'bench'. For example, on opening day, we should have a squad such as:

Almunia, Clichy, Gallas, Vermaelen, Sagna, Nasri, Melo, Fabregas, Arshavin, RVP, Adebayor
Fabianski, Toure, Song, Hitzlesperger, Walcott, Eduardo, Bendtner

We can sell off guys like Eboue, Denilson and/or Senderos

Arsenal Quotes

Team picking is a complicated and scientific matter requiring expert knowledge

Herbert Chapman
Top Bottom