• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Thomas Lemar

Kolasinac will 100% be starting games at LWB. He wouldn't have accepted a move here if he wasn't guaranteed gametime; being a highly sought-after free agent, he had a lot of leverage in negotiations (hence his lucrative salary).

Even if he wasn't guaranteed starts, which would surprise me greatly, it would make no sense anyways to sign him and then sign Lemar and play him there. The latter would definitely be playing as a CAM or CM in the current setup.

Have the feeling we don't guarantee players a starting role. Players know when they come here they will have to compete for position. Seo liked us and has the mentality to come to our club and compete for position.

Aevi

Hale End FC
Have the feeling we don't guarantee players a starting role. Players know when they come here they will have to compete for position. Seo liked us and has the mentality to come to our club and compete for position.
Maybe he wasnt guaranteed a starting position per ce, but I'm sure he was at least made aware of the fact that Monreal would be playing moreso as a CB in the current setup (as Wenger has told us all), and that he'd be competing with Gibbs. That's as close as you can get to guaranteed gametime :lol:

4R5Emaniac

Always fresh from Bangladesh
Kolasinac will 100% be starting games at LWB. He wouldn't have accepted a move here if he wasn't guaranteed gametime; being a highly sought-after free agent, he had a lot of leverage in negotiations (hence his lucrative salary).

Even if he wasn't guaranteed starts, which would surprise me greatly, it would make no sense anyways to sign him and then sign Lemar and play him there. The latter would definitely be playing as a CAM or CM in the current setup.
I doubt some free agent playing for Schalke floating around in lower midtable has any leverage to ask for guaranteed starts at Arsenal. We might give him a starting role but its not like we haven't screwed up decisions. We had, have and will have nothing players being rewarded handsomely.

Don't see what we'd be looking to achieve with Lemar as CM. Waste of a talented player whose abilities are better suited to the wings or closer to danger zones.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
I doubt some free agent playing for Schalke floating around in lower midtable has any leverage to ask for guaranteed starts at Arsenal. We might give him a starting role but its not like we haven't screwed up decisions. We had, have and will have nothing players being rewarded handsomely.

Don't see what we'd be looking to achieve with Lemar as CM. Waste of a talented player whose abilities are better suited to the wings or closer to danger zones.

The league position of his team is irrelevant to how good a player he is. His leverage is that other teams were interested in signing him.

4R5Emaniac

Maybe he wasnt guaranteed a starting position per ce, but I'm sure he was at least made aware of the fact that Monreal would be playing moreso as a CB in the current setup (as Wenger has told us all), and that he'd be competing with Gibbs. That's as close as you can get to guaranteed gametime :lol:
This would be an absolute amateurish way of negotiating and very stupid. Why would you need to tell Kolasinac about where Monreal would be playing and he has a free run at LWB? Wenger would tell him his plans of what is expected from him, what are the clubs targets as well as how he will look to integrate him into the plans.

Aevi

Hale End FC
Ah alright, makes sense why you suggested him playing at LWB then :rolleyes:

In the event that we signed Lemar and kept Alexis, which is the scenario we were discussing, Lemar would be better suited playing in Ramsey's role than at LWB. He has all the skills to play there, and would be in the "dangers zones" much more there.

4R5Emaniac

The league position of his team is irrelevant to how good a player he is. His leverage is that other teams were interested in signing him.
Yeah but that is not enough for a player of his level to ask for assurances over playing time. I take your point re league position but every time I've seen he was at first a clown, then meh and then decent. I haven't any clue what he did last season I admit but those games that I did there wasn't much to indicate he is going to be a top quality player but has immense physical abilities.

I'll be happy to be proven wrong, its a free transfer and if he has improved really then we have someone better than Gibbs for the role. Not the end of the world.

4R5Emaniac

Ah alright, makes sense why you suggested him playing at LWB then :rolleyes:

In the event that we signed Lemar and kept Alexis, which is the scenario we were discussing, Lemar would be better suited playing in Ramsey's role than at LWB. He has all the skills to play there, and would be in the "dangers zones" much more there.
LWB in a 3-4-2-1 is basically playing like a classic winger.

Have to disagree on the CM thing really. I can see Lemar pull that off later in his career because he is very rounded but also I think with Xhaka his likely partner there it won't work as well.

Aevi

Hale End FC
This would be an absolute amateurish way of negotiating and very stupid. Why would you need to tell Kolasinac about where Monreal would be playing and he has a free run at LWB? Wenger would tell him his plans of what is expected from him, what are the clubs targets as well as how he will look to integrate him into the plans.
Kolasinac has had an incredible season, and it was essential we get him because he provides quality while also freeing up funds for bigger players (and there is ample proof we are targeting them). There was competition from other good clubs, and he held all the cards, so you do have to make sacrifices at those times to sign players. It'd be silly of Kolasinac not to get some sort of assurance he'd be a starter.

Even if this isn't the case however, it makes little sense for us to sign him and then sign Lemar for the same position. It would negate what was already a good signing and stocked position.

Arsenal Quotes

At some clubs success is accidental. At Arsenal it is compulsory.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom