• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Thomas Lemar

Aevi

Hale End FC
Lemar is unequivically not a box-to-box midfielder, nor does he play that role. He's an attacking midfielder that spends most of his time on the left, but can also play as a no. 10. With Mendy a presence overlapping, he's shown the ability to tuck inside, but his penchant for left-footed crosses regularly offers great width. He's exactly the type of wide playmaker Arséne had in mind when we pursued Juan Mata. However, that's when Mata was 23. Lemar is only 21, has a much better work rate, and just tallied 14 goals and 17 assists.
I'd also prefer to see him in the front 3, but you're wrong, he definitely has CM potential. The reason it's being brought up is because in the event Alexis stays, it's the position Lemar would most likely take up (as Alexis and Özil would be tough to displace).

Remember that in the 3-4-3, the more attacking CM has the ability to express himself farther forward, as there are more numbers behind him to provide defensive cover. Lemar has the passing, dribbling, and attacking ability to play this role well as we've seen many times this season, while also being surprisingly adept defensively. Per 90 mins, he has more completed more tackles and interceptions than Ramsey who has been considered a success next to Xhaka at CM this season. And to be fair, I used CL stats for Lemar where he faced tougher competition.

Beyond looking at stats, you can see in his play that he already pretty much plays the CM role for Monaco and now France. You'll very often catch him picking up the ball from CBs in the center to start an attack through a pass or dribble, and he often wanders around in a free role (often pretty centrally) to help build up play. I think it's beyond speculative, and even plausible, to assume he could play as a #8.

Again, I think he'd be best playing where Alexis and Özil are right now, but he definitely could play behind them so that the trio could be accommodated in the side all at once. He'd be able to play around the box in that role anyways.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Big difference between a LM who tucks in during attacks/transitions and an out and out box to box CM. Football always appears simpler on paper.

That's a debate for if he actually signs anyway.

Impact

Established Member
Lemar is a wide midfielder who has the football IQ and skillset to play in a plethora of positions. That is a part of his appeal. I'm sure we'll see him as a versatile option similar to how we see Ramsey, Chamberlain etc if he joins us.

Last edited:

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Lemar is a wide midfielder who has the football IQ and skillset to play in a plethora of positions. That is apart of his appeal. I'm sure we'll see him as a versatile option similar to how we see Ramsey, Chamberlain etc if he joins us.

This is what makes me think we'll sign Lacazette AND another forward if Alexis leaves, just because Lemar is so young yet so versatile.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
He's more suited to playing in midfield than Chamberlain is and Wenger has had no problems putting him in there so i can see him doing it with Lemar.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
He's more suited to playing in midfield than Chamberlain is and Wenger has had no problems putting him in there so i can see him doing it with Lemar.

I'd much rather Lemar in central midfield next to Xhaka than any central midfielder we can realistically buy off the market.

nicky47

Established Member
I have no idea about this guy, at all. But people really do have a high opinion of him! Therefore I'm keeping my fingers crossed we'll hear more about this one... A new winger makes me think Alexis is truly off, although some seem to think Lemar can play next to Xhaka.

Sorry for the bump without a new link by the way.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

At 21 he's a brilliant wide man, can play midfield and has a wand of a left foot.

If we let Sp**s sign him he completes their side, if we get him our left side would be magical.

Ceballinhos

Cheating on Santi
I'd also prefer to see him in the front 3, but you're wrong, he definitely has CM potential. The reason it's being brought up is because in the event Alexis stays, it's the position Lemar would most likely take up (as Alexis and Özil would be tough to displace).

Remember that in the 3-4-3, the more attacking CM has the ability to express himself farther forward, as there are more numbers behind him to provide defensive cover. Lemar has the passing, dribbling, and attacking ability to play this role well as we've seen many times this season, while also being surprisingly adept defensively. Per 90 mins, he has more completed more tackles and interceptions than Ramsey who has been considered a success next to Xhaka at CM this season. And to be fair, I used CL stats for Lemar where he faced tougher competition.

Beyond looking at stats, you can see in his play that he already pretty much plays the CM role for Monaco and now France. You'll very often catch him picking up the ball from CBs in the center to start an attack through a pass or dribble, and he often wanders around in a free role (often pretty centrally) to help build up play. I think it's beyond speculative, and even plausible, to assume he could play as a #8.

Again, I think he'd be best playing where Alexis and Özil are right now, but he definitely could play behind them so that the trio could be accommodated in the side all at once. He'd be able to play around the box in that role anyways.

When he was a youngster at Caen he developped (not sure if it's the right word in english I hope you understand what I mean) as an offensive midfielder, playing behind the striker.

but Caen 1st team used to play in a 442 formation, so they tried Lemar on the left because he has such an incredible engine, and he was very good.

Lemar is one of the most young complete player I've ever seen.
He already performed great at LM, CAM, LWB, RM. He can score goals, he defends so well, his crossing is fantastic, his pass are fantastic, he gave a lot of assists from FK & corners.
This guy is so underrated.

And he's a very good lad. He's shy. He works very hard. He doesn't care about being the star of the team. He doesn't have a huge ego. He's humble. You can feel he truely enjoys the game & that is what matter the most for him.
It's very important for us in France because it was the complete opposite with the previous generation which was very talented too (I'm talking about Nasri, Benzema, Menez, Ben Arfa...) but appart from Benzema they all underachieved because of a lack of discipline & education.

If Wenger pulls this off, I genuinely think it could be one of his best buy ever.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Honestly forget how young he is, for a 21 year old he's brilliant.

4R5Emaniac

Always fresh from Bangladesh
If Lemar comes here I want him on LWB or in Özil's position. He is better than Kolasinac and would do better than him there says my vision. Would be stupid and pointless to play him in central midfield.

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
If Lemar comes here I want him on LWB or in Özil's position. He is better than Kolasinac and would do better than him there.

As far as I know Lemar hasn't played the wing back role whilst Kolasinac was in the Bundesliga team of the year for doing that role.

I would have thought Lemar would be beter used occupying one of two ACM roles (Özil being the other) whilst moving Alexis back into CF role.

4R5Emaniac

Always fresh from Bangladesh
As far as I know Lemar hasn't played the wing back role whilst Kolasinac was in the Bundesliga team of the year for doing that role.

I would have thought Lemar would be beter used occupying one of two ACM roles (Özil being the other) whilst moving Alexis back into CF role.
Doesn't matter tbh. If Ox can excel there I can see Lemar owning it. Doubt being in the Bundesliga TOY is some measure of actual quality. For example he was apparently better than Alaba they say but you need to be crazy to even entertain the thought that Sead is even nearly as good a player. He can be a decent option and maybe will be a good player at some point for a while but nothing more.

Yeah, thats a good idea and he'd be best suited for that role or from the left or right wing.

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover
Doesn't matter tbh. If Ox can excel there I can see Lemar owning it. Doubt being in the Bundesliga TOY is some measure of actual quality. For example he was apparently better than Alaba they say but you need to be crazy to even entertain the thought that Sead is even nearly as good a player. He can be a decent option and maybe will be a good player at some point for a while but nothing more.

Yeah, thats a good idea and he'd be best suited for that role or from the left or right wing.
How often did you watch Schalke play 90 minutes this season, just curious

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐

Bit silly to be talking like that when you've probably never seen him play more than a handful of games, if that.

Aevi

Hale End FC
Kolasinac will 100% be starting games at LWB. He wouldn't have accepted a move here if he wasn't guaranteed gametime; being a highly sought-after free agent, he had a lot of leverage in negotiations (hence his lucrative salary).

Even if he wasn't guaranteed starts, which would surprise me greatly, it would make no sense anyways to sign him and then sign Lemar and play him there. The latter would definitely be playing as a CAM or CM in the current setup.

Arsenal Quotes

There is no chance of Sol ever leaving for Arsenal. He is a Spurs fan and there is not a hope in hell of him playing in an Arsenal shirt.

David Buchler, Tottenham Vice-Chairman, 2001

Daily Transfer Updates

Tuesday, May 21

Nuno Tavares will return to Arsenal after Nottingham Forest chose not to exercise the buy option in his loan deal [Nottingham Forest Official Site]

Benjamin Šeško’s agent confirms interest from English and Italian clubs, adding that he is not interested in moving to Saudi Arabia [Evening Standard]

Arsenal have sent scouts to watch Benfica midfielder Joao Neves multiple times [Fabrizio Romano]

Latest posts

Top Bottom