• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Unai Emery: Adios

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Rotation is essential, unless you happen to be Man City who have two first teams, unless you are prepared to risk your top players being injured or over-used.
Emery has rotated in the cups though. In fact the whole reason we got knocked out of the mickey mouse cup is because we played a lesser team..

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Reminds me of all the Spuds celebrating AvB finishing fifth with their highest point total in the PL yet.

Lets see where we finish first before getting the gateau basques out.
Nothing like a "let's not become Sp**s" motivational line to set the forum right again.

Camron

Photoshop King
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
From what I observe points total is mainly being thrown in as an argument to counter all the "Emery is doing a poor job" arguments by some agenda driven people. Some people were even asking for the sack (mainly because the prince is not allowed his usual privileges).

Apparently as it turns out we should wait until the end of the season before we can judge how Emery has done, which is what the people who used the points argument have been saying since a few months into the season when people were calling for his head.

Great to see we are all on the same page again!

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
From what I observe points total is mainly being thrown in as an argument to counter all the "Emery is doing a poor job" arguments by some agenda driven people. Some people were even asking for the sack (mainly because the prince is not allowed his usual privileges).

Apparently as it turns out we should wait until the end of the season before we can judge how Emery has done, which is what the people who used the points argument have been saying since a few months into the season when people were calling for his head.

Loving your posts of late

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Well they probably need a better counter.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Felt we improved at the weekend, and had much less of the ‘handbrake’, at least in the first half.

Needs to trust in the attack more, our identity should be as an attacking team, can’t have him burying that.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
Well they probably need a better counter.

Love how he posits everyone critical of Emery as a mere agenda driven Özil lover, while bigging up one of the few solid arguments (points tally) Emery pros have atm.

For a post that seemingly wants to come across as objective, that's far off from that.

swider

This , seriously who cares about the points total it's where you finish , we may have had a higher points total than 2013/2014 but we also lead the league longer than the team that did finish first with Flamini in midifield and Giroud up front .

There's all sorts of circumstances for points total's but what actually counts is where we finish . I won't be bringing up points total if we finish 4th this year with less than we did 2 years ago . Just doesn't matter .

It doesn't matter for CL qualification, but it does matter otherwise.
Emery having good if not very good first season would be great for us looking forward. Who knows maybe it can even influence the amount of money he is going to get for investing in the first team.
Also it would mean that our finish would have been strong, that is always a good sign, players gelling and believing in themselves, good morale before start of the next season and trust in the manager are always important.

say yes

forum master baiter
Love how he posits everyone critical of Emery as a mere agenda driven Özil lover, while bigging up one of the few solid arguments (points tally) Emery pros have atm.

For a post that seemingly wants to come across as objective, that's far off from that.

@Camron didnt say anything like that. He said ‘some people’, not ‘everyone’.

Why this constant need to escalate and exaggerate?

At the end of the day, the so called 'Emery Pro' guys are just asking to give Emery more time. So, waiting and seeing where we finish at the end of the season is what we all could do now. Points tally is a sensible argument, and so does the position in the league right now. Touching distance and fighting for top 4 with 2 clubs who have spent more than us. You can argue about his style of play, his player selections etc etc, and that can be made about every single manager on the planet right now. Needs more time to figure himself out too.

Jae

At the end of the day, the so called 'Emery Pro' guys are just asking to give Emery more time. So, waiting and seeing where we finish at the end of the season is what we all could do now. Points tally is a sensible argument, and so does the position in the league right now. Touching distance and fighting for top 4 with 2 clubs who have spent more than us. You can argue about his style of play, his player selections etc etc, and that can be made about every single manager on the planet right now. Needs more time to figure himself out too.

Well said. However, it's not even necessarily about being "Pro Emery" mate. It's about being an ordinary, objective, sensible person and not throwing your toys out of the pram at the earliest opportunity. Unfortunately some people on here aren't capable of that.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

Yeah pretty much. Time is what he needs, there's no point judging too harshly until the end of the season at the least.

I have to be honest though, I was still saying he needs more time after the first BATE leg but I was thinking what the fuuuuuuuu, that was pure dogsh!t and it was the approach that worried me more than anything.

But still he needs atleast until the end of the season, if we end up 4th that will be fantastic and Sunday was good, it looked like his style finally came through fully and it's the first time at home (even counting Chelsea) that I think everything has functioned so seamlessly this season.

That said, it's not wrong per say to not like a manager or think he might not be the right fit, I mean we can take Bruce Rioch as the ultimate example.

I can't remember any of those times but looking back he finished 5th, that's pretty good, but we still changed the manager.

At any rate Emery is not leaving now so let's see how this plays out, his style might finally click, we could get 4th.

We could get 4th and still look bad and perhaps the discussion of a change might be a reasonable one, let's see though.

Camron

Photoshop King
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
@Camron didnt say anything like that. He said ‘some people’, not ‘everyone’.

Why this constant need to escalate and exaggerate?
It's like this forum has an auto correct on words that try to provide any nuance like 'some'.

I read a lot of well constructed arguments from some people who feel that some performance displays under Emery are not all overwhelming, what I agree with 100%. At the same time there have been matches where we enjoyed spells of amazing football closely resembling Wengerball so there is promise in that.

I also read how some people point out that Klopp, Pep and Conte had difficulty imposing their game plan and achieving results in their first season(s). They even use data to back up their claim. They realize that imposing a certain playstyle does not necessarily coincide with achieving results (Sarri anyone?), let alone trying to do so while hardly being able to spend any money.

Then there is the handling of Mesut Özil, a player I love on his day and someone I think can play a role for Arsenal now and in the future, if he adapts and if we accomodate for him. I doubt it's Emery generally disliking the player and there has been 'evidence' floating about of possible reasons why he doesn't feature as much this season. 1. He needs to adapt to Emery's mentality. 2. The board no longer feels he justifies his wages and forces Emery's hand. 3. He has actual injuries and has been sick.
I believe there is truth in all three yet some people choose to only blame the manager.

I am by no means saying Emery is doing a perfect job, but results wise he is performing as I would have hoped (purely looking at improving some players, competing for EL and our position in the table).

Playstyle wise it's a different thing. I see this season as a get back into CL by all means season and am willing (along with some other people) to sit through games where we barely scrape a result.

If you even try to use injuries, chaos at the helm of this club, financial restrictions, contract situations, some terrible weak spots in our squad, it being a first season in a new league and replacing a 22 year old regime as possible reasons for why the displayed performances might not be blowing teams out of the water or why the playstyle may not be as defined as we all want it to be, you get death threats in PM (I don't check my PM, but I'm sure they are there waiting for me). For me, if he achieves his target of CL qualification he has overperformed on my expectations.

Next season Emery hopefully has the funds to acquire whatever he deems necessary to push on to better things, whether that means going for a trophy or embedding a more clearly defined playstyle while maintaining that CL spot (or pushing on in that competition).

CanadianGooner1608

Really hate how some people in here would want us to turn into Chelsea and start sacking managers not even a season in.

Emery has inherited a squad that finished 6th last season, 5th the season before.

Our hopes and dreams are to play beautiful attacking football which will lead us to the top of the league. I share that dream, as this was the reason I fell in love with Arsenal as a kid.

That being said, people are losing sight of the fact that we are rebuilding.

We have an owner who is dead set on never investing a penny in the club.
We lost I don't remember how many players on a free, getting no money back for our investment on them due to bad contract management.
Some of our players are on insane wages for the quality they bring (no, I don't mean Özil).

All of it plus poor league finishes in the past years meant declining revenue, meant less opportunity to invest in players.

That's the grim reality.

Now with all that, we had a transfer team who got us Sokratis, Torreira, Leno, Guendouzi in one season. Smart buys with high resale value (except probably Sokratis for age related reasons) if the need arises.
We have a team, which even if not playing the beautiful football we wish they did most of the time, is still punching above their weight in that they are in the top 4 fight, and could even (dare I say it) challenge for top 3.
A manager who got Bellerin and Holding playing at a higher level prior to their injuries. A manager who is getting Iwobi where he needs to be slowly, but surely. Whoever doesn't see the improvements he made to his game compared to last season is lying to himself.

All of that while having virtually 0 squad depht (we had to play Jenkinson at some point ffs...) and having to play the EL at the same time.

Sure there are games where we will play conservative, boring football. Imagine what another injury to another key player would bring to us.

I'm not saying Emery is getting everything right, but I will say so far, we have seen far more positives than negatives.

Jae

The two guys above have hit the nail on the head really. Can we close this thread now please? :lol:

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
The two guys above have hit the nail on the head really. Can we close this thread now please? :lol:
Why would we close the thread. We need a manager thread to discuss the manager. Just a pity people are completely subjective and irrational.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
What happened to this forum. Everyone is so easily offended by an opinion on the ****ing manager.

It’s the Emery thread, not the Emery appreciation thread. People are free to say whatever they want on him.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
What happened to this forum. Everyone is so easily offended by an opinion on the ****ing manager.

It’s the Emery thread, not the Emery appreciation thread. People are free to say whatever they want on him.
What is wrong with the world man. People are offended by anything.
I enjoy the debate on here. @say yes & @Toby Andrl often have me altering my opinion because they have valid arguments and perspectives I have not considered. It is the very reason I am on here.
A couple of posters aren't worth the time but there are so many people on here that I thoroughly enjoy chatting to about this club. EVEN when we disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Everyone thinks they have the prettiest wife at home

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom