• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Unai Emery: Adios

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
What I can't understand is how some of that early, counter-attacking football has disappeared into this turgid, flowless rubbish. I wonder if removing Ramsey and Özil from the midfield had something to do with it...?
I'm not sure, but the material should be there to bring it back. I definitely think Özil made our play more flowing and Ramsey is a good end station in a counter. Don't know what's going on with the Özil situation though, so I won't speculate.

I do understand how some feel about the late collapse last season but this season is now underway. If fans wanted Emery out the time to push was end of last season but many with issues now weren't so vocal then (they were fine with giving him the second season).
I wanted to give him a fair shot at improving the squad and getting a full pre-season with them to get closer to his philosophy, but the season thusfar hasn't given me much hope he has a philosophy that suits Arsenal in the long run, but I realize the importance of CL qualification you keep stressing here (fairly).

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
This is the underlying issue I am seeing tie many into intellectual knots, and is perfectly legitimate. I agree about the conundrum here, the best one maybe could hope for is his contract is 2+1, so his contract won't be renewed, expectations will be upped from just CL qualification once we hopefully are back in for 2020/21.

This is where it gets taken further to a point I have suspected resides with some, and you have more or less confirmed it, which I appreciate for honesty. I am concerned when fans get to the point of minimizing CL qualification because that only makes it more difficult to compete in the transfer market.

I do understand how some feel about the late collapse last season but this season is now underway. If fans wanted Emery out the time to push was end of last season but many with issues now weren't so vocal then (they were fine with giving him the second season).

I get the point about football pleasing on the eye, but there is evidence some of what people see as frustrating over last couple of weeks in easier matches is actually the manager adjusting after the Watford aberration. For example short passes at the back for the sake of it have been reduced, with variety, and we are tightening up on opposition teams slicing through our lines so easily, which is in part why Özil has been swapped out. Do we want a manager who learns and adjusts with the squad he has available to him? *To some extent* I would (cf. stubbornness of Wenger late on), and just hope things get taken to another level with Tierney, Bellerin, Holding, and Lacazette available.

... but anyways, the main issue here is some apparently fine with missing out on the CL if that is the cost of disruption mid-season of seeing/hoping a manager fails, and be replaced.

This is one of the worst posts I have read in here. Conflates so many things and is completely off the mark.

Iceman10

Established Member
I understand sometimes people get upset in here because they are arguing a position, or for an outcome, so rigidly, that when they see counterpoints they have trouble responding to with substance they just lose control and throw toys out of the pram. I have no agenda, instead just try to be logical, but if a response is just an insult with nothing else to work with to respond to I really have no choice other than to hit ignore (@Toby Andrl). This has only happened in one other case prior.

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

You just don't know in football anyway. This time next year we could be playing in the Europa League wishing Emery was still our manager. There's no guarantees, it's kind of why I want people to back the manager in hope that we get top 4 and not hope we lose to get him sacked wishing the next guy will make us play 'beautiful' football.

And yes, before you ask does anyone actually say I hope we lose, I've seen it said many times.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
You just don't know in football anyway. This time next year we could be playing in the Europa League wishing Emery was still our manager. There's no guarantees, it's kind of why I want people to back the manager in hope that we get top 4 and not hope we lose to get him sacked wishing the next guy will make us play 'beautiful' football.

And yes, before you ask does anyone actually say I hope we lose, I've seen it said many times.
So we should all just post roses and pictures of unicorns in these threads instead of discussing how we feel about the situation?
You realise you can support the manager and not agree with his style, tactics and way of going about things

Those hoping we do not lose are quite simply not fans. I've yet to see someone post that in a serious way but I would never wish for a loss.

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

So we should all just post roses and pictures of unicorns in these threads instead of discussing how we feel about the situation?
You realise you can support the manager and not agree with his style, tactics and way of going about things

Those hoping we do not lose are quite simply not fans. I've yet to see someone post that in a serious way but I would never wish for a loss.

Yeah of course, I've never said you shouldn't? I don't agree with his style either, but people aren't just disagreeing with his style, they will pick and compare literally anything just to put him down which in my opinion, isn't supporting him it's just bashing him because they don't like the football we play.

I feel the same way about this situation as so many others, but I'd rather not use anything I can to bring him down. It's frustrating but I guess that's the internet. Also if you use Twitter you'll find many who'd rather see us lose and bring in someone else.

Maybe I'm just looking at the bigger picture for next year if things go the way I'd want.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger

You have to admit some people, at the very least, sail pretty close to the wind. On this page alone there's a post saying that Emery stays if he's 4th and that is a concern. If you extrapolate the meaning of this it is that maybe it's better if we don't qualify for the CL. That would be hooing we lose games wouldn't it?

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
You have to admit some people, at the very least, sail pretty close to the wind. On this page alone there's a post saying that Emery stays if he's 4th and that is a concern. If you extrapolate the meaning of this it is that maybe it's better if we don't qualify for the CL. That would be hooing we lose games wouldn't it?
Fair enough

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

:lol: No I can guarantee you I won't . Yeah I seen it plenty who said over the years hope we lose , hope we don't goet top 4 , what's the point of playing CL Carfeful what you wish for I guess .

Guarantee I won't miss Emery , no idea what there is to miss .

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

:lol: No I can guarantee you I won't . Yeah I seen it plenty who said over the years hope we lose , hope we don't goet top 4 , what's the point of playing CL Carfeful what you wish for I guess .

It was just a comment on hindsight really, will I miss Emery? Most likely no, but you don't know whether the guy after will do better or not. Look at United ffs. United fans wanted guys like Moyes and Van Gaal back because of how bad Ole is.

Unai isn't what people want, he's currently not what I want, but theres such a massive assumption that the grass will be greener on the other side.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
3073610344.jpg

JoaoFelix

It was just a comment on hindsight really, will I miss Emery? Most likely no, but you don't know whether the guy after will do better or not. Look at United ffs. United fans wanted guys like Moyes and Van Gaal back because of how bad Ole is.

Unai isn't what people want, he's currently not what I want, but theres such a massive assumption that the grass will be greener on the other side.
Like he achieved something here.

JoaoFelix

He won't be missed. Like he wasn't missed at PSG. Actually every time Parisians talk about emery it's about Remontada.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

When you grow up with a club and you end up playing for them and winning things, you are from that club. I was born here. I was formulated here.

Liam Brady

Latest posts

Top Bottom