• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Wayne Bridge

VancouverCanuck

Re: Wayne Bridge on loan?

Given Gibbs' injury record, I expect him to either get injured again or not able to come back for several more months. Miquel has done a marvellous job so far considering his experience and playing out of position. But we do need a natural LB who can offer more offensive support for the rest of the season. Not saying Bridge is the answer because my main concern is he hasn't played competitively for half a year. Just that at the moment, I don't trust Miquel to get into top 4, which should be our main objective this season.

ibby

Established Member

ebouenolike said:
MDGoonah41 said:
cheapness was relying on a guy who has been injured his whole career to be your starting LB, then panic buying a LB who cant defend on deadline day because your starting LB predictably was injured. Everyone but Wenger figured Gibbs would miss a big chunk of this season.

Agree with choosing Gibbs as number one being a very high risk approach. Don't agree that Santos can't defend or was that much of a 'panic buy'.
Of course Santos was a panic buy.

irishgunnerz

AWOL
Trusted ⭐

Hyperbole as always MD. It's not true to say Santos "cannot defend". He's actually done well up until point he was injured.

darthwenger

I agree - even though it seems to be a running joke. Santos is a decent LB and his stats hold that up.

Bridge even on loan? no thanks - I'm sure we could even find someone from the Oman 2nd division who'd be better........oh wait......

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu

Santos wasn't a panic buy. He was a replacement for Traore who has confirmed he wanted to leave before the Manure game so Wenger has been looking for a replacement for awhile before deciding it was Santos.

Arteta was a panic buy

MDGoonah41

Established Member

Santos makes lots of dodgy decisions in his own half. He's class on the ball, but I don't buy in to the fact that hes a great defender. Now, I'd much rather have him starting over Gibbs, but that's more my complete lack of faith in Gibbs than my praise of Santos.

As a backup, he's fine. Wayne Bridge is not fine. In any role.

MDGoonah41

Established Member

My biggest problem is that the level we are currently aiming for is so low.

Santos is a good fullback for a mid table side. We're ****ing Arsenal. We should have a top class LB, and a top class backup. Gibbs has promise, sure, but the decision to just hand him the starting spot and not make him earn it or prove he could even stay fit for one whole season was crazy, and highlights the problems in our team.

We lack ambition as a club. We sell our best players. We do not attempt to buy world class talents befitting of a world class club. We aim to do just enough to keep our top 4 spot. For me, its unacceptable. I blame the Board and I blame Wenger.

We're Arsenal. We should not be wasting our time with the likes of Wayne Bridge, who hasn't been a consistent, quality performer in years. We shouldn't be wasting our time with no name players from Oman. We should be filling the 25 man squad with the best players we can.

The club has fallen in the last 6 years. And we're going to continue to fall until something massive happens internally. Its just not good enough.

ibby

Established Member

Clrnc said:
Santos wasn't a panic buy. He was a replacement for Traore who has confirmed he wanted to leave before the Manure game so Wenger has been looking for a replacement for awhile before deciding it was Santos.

Arteta was a panic buy
Arteta wasn't a panic buy. He was a replacement for Fabregas who has confirmed he wanted to leave early in the summer so Wenger has been looking for a replacement for awhile before deciding it was Arteta.

(All our deadline day purchases were panic buys).

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu

Thing was, Santos was hardly a deadline day signing right? He was confirm a week before the deadline iirc

ibby

Established Member

Nah, he was a deadline day signing. Could have been the day before when the news broke but a panic buy he was.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Quicker than Walcott said:
Complete myth. Santos is class.

Amen ,technically only RVP is better . He is also pretty good defensively .

Arsenal Quotes

As far as i'm concerned, Tony Adams is the effing Empire State Building

Ian Wright
Top Bottom