• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

What is the most random transfer of all time?

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
He was great, I agree. Just don't think he was on the level of the players considered the absolute elite, like the two mentioned. I get they were different, but they still had the same spot on the team sheet. I'd put him in a tier by himself probably if we're rating forwards from back then, just below the top tier, but you could easily argue it'd depend on the rest of the squad makeup whether you'd prefer him over the others.

I have to disagree however he was one of my favourite players who I watched a lot so may be biased.

I understand they occupied the same spot but he was such a different player, he was more a Benzema/Aguero type player, he would have been perfectly suited to todays game too, honestly think he would be one of the worlds most expensive players and ideal for teams like Barca or City.

A lot of players are difficult to directly compare to Henry, R9 and even CR7 as not only are/were they elite footballers they had pace, power and height of elite athletes which is a rare combination but deadly when mixed with elite football talent.

Saying that, I suppose thats where I concede and you are probably correct, there is a certain bracket above where genetics play a huge part as well.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
I have to disagree however he was one of my favourite players who I watched a lot so may be biased.

I understand they occupied the same spot but he was such a different player, he was more a Benzema/Aguero type player, he would have been perfectly suited to todays game too, honestly think he would be one of the worlds most expensive players and ideal for teams like Barca or City.

A lot of players are difficult to directly compare to Henry, R9 and even CR7 as not only are/were they elite footballers they had pace, power and height of elite athletes which is a rare combination but deadly when mixed with elite football talent.

Saying that, I suppose thats where I concede and you are probably correct, there is a certain bracket above where genetics play a huge part as well.

If Raul had the athletic ability of Henry or R9, there's a good chance he'd be better than them, so I actually agree with you on the point about genetics etc. It was clearly the difference maker between him and the other two, and probably forced him to play the way he did to an extent.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
I mean he wasn't a generational talent like R9 or TH14 but he was a 1 in 2 striker with first touch and sublime striking technique and Holland's all time top scorer but probably not as clinical as he should of been. Top level link up play too. Probably never reached his full potential

I don't think I could name 10 better strikers today, Lewa, Benzema, Haaland, Kane, CR7, Vlahovic and who else?
tbh the bar wasn't very high back then, he's since been surpassed by RvP, Depay and Huntelaar. Even RvPs tally of 50 is very achievable. Imagine, for instance, trying to break Portugal's goalscoring record in a few years time :lol:

I remember watching Kluivert regularly, he was a top striker of the time but he's definitely not in the same league as R9, and not an all time great imo.

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
A few of these aren't really random, just bad transfers. Madrid needed a DM and signed Gravesen. Unless we're going based off of who was signed, rather than the circumstances surrounding the transfer itself.

I can't remember who it was, but City signed some English midfielder years ago, when they already had a stacked midfield, guy never got a look in and career tailed off. Jack Rodwell?

Other random ones I can think of, Cedric, I think we already had two RBs didn't we?

Arsenal Quotes

Of the nine red cards this season we probably deserved half of them

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom