• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

What is the most random transfer of all time?

Andrew Cole Linighan

Player:Saka
He's part of a group of players that hold a lot of nostalgic value for millennials mainly I reckon. He was the main man up front for one of the biggest teams in the world during that generations' childhood. Other names would probably be Inzaghi, Van Nistelrooy etc. Raul is probably in a different category given his status as a Real legend though, but imo he was never at the level of the truly elite like Henry or Ronaldo. I might even throw Raul in here, but that'd probably be controversial due to his legacy at Real.

Generally find a lot of people of my generation overrate especially the strikers of the late 90s/early 2000s because of this. Like Kluivert was a good player but I could easily name 10 strikers better than he ever was in the world right now, if not more.
I think it stems from the Ajax Amsterdam team of 1995. Managed by Louis Van Gaal, they won the Champions League with a promising squad of players. They had the likes of, Edwin Van Der Sar, Danny Blind, Edgar David's, Clarence Seedorf, Marc Overmars, Jari Litmanen and the up and coming Kanu and Kluivert.
⬜⬜🟥🟥🟥🟥⬜⬜

ArsenesCoatMaker

Established Member
He's part of a group of players that hold a lot of nostalgic value for millennials mainly I reckon. He was the main man up front for one of the biggest teams in the world during that generations' childhood. Other names would probably be Inzaghi, Van Nistelrooy etc. Raul is probably in a different category given his status as a Real legend though, but imo he was never at the level of the truly elite like Henry or Ronaldo. I might even throw Raul in here, but that'd probably be controversial due to his legacy at Real.

Generally find a lot of people of my generation overrate especially the strikers of the late 90s/early 2000s because of this. Like Kluivert was a good player but I could easily name 10 strikers better than he ever was in the world right now, if not more.

I mean he wasn't a generational talent like R9 or TH14 but he was a 1 in 2 striker with first touch and sublime striking technique and Holland's all time top scorer but probably not as clinical as he should of been. Top level link up play too. Probably never reached his full potential

I don't think I could name 10 better strikers today, Lewa, Benzema, Haaland, Kane, CR7, Vlahovic and who else?

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
Kluivert would be really suited to the way strikers are asked to play today, technically excellent and had that ability to drop deep and link up play.

I don't think I'd have called Kluivert a "top 10" striker at Barca but he was a good player.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Seems like a guy we'd have been linked with, can't remember if we ever were or not?

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐

Seems like a guy we'd have been linked with, can't remember if we ever were or not?
Vargas had possibly the worst agent and/or luck ever. Looked like complete **** at every club in Europe, partly because of **** work ethic but mostly unsuitable clubs. For Chile he actually performed better than Alexis.

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐

Not just an actual transfer but an "actual" player, Vagner Love and the tragic state of his forehead. Bloke got his name because of his playboy lifestyle, could never imagine it with that greasy sex pest smile.

Andrew Cole Linighan

Player:Saka
This one was unbelievable. Fabrizio Ravanelli. Never saw this one coming. A far cry from Juventus, Lazio, Marseille.......... Middlesbrough.

Screenshot_20220724-115829.png

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
I don't think I could name 10 better strikers today, Lewa, Benzema, Haaland, Kane, CR7, Vlahovic and who else?

On the back of just last season, maybe not, but if we include the last couple of seasons:

Messi, Ronaldo, Haaland, Mbappe, Benzema, Kane, CR7, Lewa, Zlatan and Vlahovic. Might have underrated Kluivert a bit here tbf in hindsight, was more difficult than I thought.

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
On the back of just last season, maybe not, but if we include the last couple of seasons:

Messi, Ronaldo, Haaland, Mbappe, Benzema, Kane, CR7, Lewa, Zlatan and Vlahovic. Might have underrated Kluivert a bit here tbf in hindsight, was more difficult than I thought.
There's no way geriatric Zlatan or ****ing Vlahovic are better than Kluivert during his prime. Haaland is arguably too young to be listed there, talent wise he's definitely up there with the best but his injuries are a worry.

Immobile is the only one I'd add for sure who's proven it over the years too. That's eight strikers where it's clearcut, anyone else it's at least arguable imo.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
There's no way geriatric Zlatan or ****ing Vlahovic are better than Kluivert during his prime. Haaland is arguably too young to be listed there, talent wise he's definitely up there with the best but his injuries are a worry.

Immobile is the only one I'd add for sure who's proven it over the years too. That's eight strikers where it's clearcut, anyone else it's at least arguable imo.

That's why I specifically mentioned the last couple of years, to include Zlatan. The guy did score 15 goals in 19 games last season. Immobile is a good shout.

As I said, I might've underrated Kluivert a bit with my statement, point was GDeep asked if he was ever "great" and I think he fell just short of that, but not by much.

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
That's why I specifically mentioned the last couple of years, to include Zlatan. The guy did score 15 goals in 19 games last season. Immobile is a good shout.

As I said, I might've underrated Kluivert a bit with my statement, point was GDeep asked if he was ever "great" and I think he fell just short of that, but not by much.
Zlatan also played in the US and spent months injured the last couple of seasons. Overall he obviously had the much better career, both longevity and peakwise, but the last couple years while he was better than he had any business being he wasn't on the level of Kluivert at Ajax or Barcelona.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Aubameyang?

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
Zlatan also played in the US and spent months injured the last couple of seasons. Overall he obviously had the much better career, both longevity and peakwise, but the last couple years while he was better than he had any business being he wasn't on the level of Kluivert at Ajax or Barcelona.

Fair. Would maybe throw in Gerard Moreno at Villareal if we're just going back the last couple of seasons, guy has been genuinely incredible at times, gone very under the radar.

serenitynow

Ex-fransgooner

Player:Jesus

Not just an actual transfer but an "actual" player, Vagner Love and the tragic state of his forehead. Bloke got his name because of his playboy lifestyle, could never imagine it with that greasy sex pest smile.
Wow forgot this guy existed. I have vague memories of CSKA Moscow playing us at the Emirates in the UCL (06/07 season I think?) where we had about 25 shots and couldn't score to save our lives then this geezer almost snatches one right at the death. Looked like an anime villain with the blue dreadlocks.

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member

Raul? Raul was an elite forward.

His time at Madrid was iconic, guy was sensational and a completely different type.of player to Henry/R9.

Chip shots should be named after him!

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
Raul? Raul was an elite forward.

His time at Madrid was iconic, guy was sensational and a completely different type.of player to Henry/R9.

Chip shots should be named after him!

He was great, I agree. Just don't think he was on the level of the players considered the absolute elite, like the two mentioned. I get they were different, but they still had the same spot on the team sheet. I'd put him in a tier by himself probably if we're rating forwards from back then, just below the top tier, but you could easily argue it'd depend on the rest of the squad makeup whether you'd prefer him over the others.

Arsenal Quotes

Arsenal have always been the club of the people, the streets. Arsenal was one of the first clubs to really have black players, so it did represent the mass of the UK and how London is. I hope people at the club know that and who are they playing for.

Thierry Henry
Top Bottom