• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

What makes an Arsenal player a club legend?

scytheavatar

Established Member
Didnt Vieira move to US recently? I'm sure he was taking a managerial post for a US club. As for legend, definitely, he is one of the clear cut Arsenal legends, no discussion required! :)

Here you go, just dug this out. He saw the error of his judgement, and dumped City!

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/nov/09/patrick-vieira-appointed-new-york-city-fc-head-coach

That club is owned by the Sheikhs that own Citeh, that he would be willing to manage in the MLS for the Sheikhs shows how much of a company man he has become.

Nyctophobia

Established Member
What kind of relationship does Vieira have with Arsenal now?
Maybe that's a part of it.

There are some fans who don't really think of him that highly because of the way he left the club.
I don't know, I don't hold Vieira up among Bergkamp, Adams or Henry myself, he just kind of felt like a loyal hitman in the end I guess.

FreeGlennHelder

OK. So to be a legend. It doesn't count if you are one of the best players in the clubs history. Additionally, once you leave the club you have to drink out of an Arsenal mug, can never work for another club, must wear an Arsenal kit 24/7 and never say anything against the club until the day you die. But if you drink a couple of bottles of vodka and plough you car into someone else's living room and put other peoples lives in danger then that's perfectly fine.

Get
A
Grip

GDeep™

League is very weak
What did Vieira do wrong? Flirted with Real, decided to stay, then got sold by Wenger so we could go forward with fresh blood.

Vieira was everything, a top player, a top captain, loyal, nasty, aggressive, a leader, heartbeat of the team.

Loved him more than Henry.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Since I started following Arsenal.

Legends: Wenger, Vieira, Henry, Bergkamp, Wright, Özil, Parlour, Adams, Lehmann, Campbell

Icons: Pires, Ljunberg, A. Cole, Fabregas, Gilberto, Petit, Keown, Lauren, Seaman

Well liked characters: Rosicky, Persie, Monreal, Cech, Sagna, Toure, Arshavin, Wilshere, Ramsey, Koscielny, Walcott

And this is where we all have different views

Özil, no way, maybe in a few years but not after 2.5 seasons & 2 FA Cups.

Pires, Ljungberg, Keown (just for the imortal Van Nostril pic alone) and Seaman all Arsenal Legends.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Me lol. To clarify, what started this thread was me claiming that Arteta and rosicky are legends. And I'm going to let the rabbit out of the hat and let you know it was a wind-up post. :lol::lol::lol:

Sorry, I have to correct you. You Pull a Rabbit out of a hat. You Let a Cat out of the bag. You're welcome! :lol:

What did Vieira do wrong? Flirted with Real, decided to stay, then got sold by Wenger so we could go forward with fresh blood.

Vieira was everything, a top player, a top captain, loyal, nasty, aggressive, a leader, heartbeat of the team.

Loved him more than Henry.

Vieira did nothing wrong. Was best midfielder in the world. Should be respected.

Rain Dance

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Rosicky is a legend for @TomasCR and people of Czech republic

come to think about it.. Rosicky actually fare much better than Vieira in legendary status, Paddy is not a legend in France and is debatable here

Last edited:

haha_arsenal

I think the problem with Vieira is behind the scene and we will never know,
he sure was a great footballer, one of the best,
but what strikes me that the club never brings up his story (only when Wenger was asked about his transfers, he brings up Vieira), even Edu, Gilberto or Eduardo have stories on Arsenal.com now and then.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I don't see Henry or Vieira as an 'Arsenal man' the same way I see Tony Adams, Ray Parlour or Martin Keown.

The question is why is that? is it nationality? Parlour is there, not just because he was a criminally underrated footballer, but also because of his 'Romford Pele' connection.

Legend obviously covers more than just footballing ability, but it should not be a term just used for British players (and the Irish).

For me Bergkamp is an Arsenal legend. His signing was a signal of a change in playstyle, and his dedication to the club was never in question once he joined. However he is a cheeseman, not a John Bull. Does that matter?

I hope not, his status was confirmed in that Everton game where the fans were chanting "one more year, one more year". That was love from the stands, and a respect we rarely see these days.

em9999

My rainbows
I still to this day sit in awe every time I see bergkamps goal v Newcastle..

Not only is he a legend he's a true example to all footballers of how to go about your business... Would love to see him back at Arsenal, the bloke is a god in my eyes

Nyctophobia

Established Member
@say yes

That's my point exactly on Parlour and Henry. Obviously Henry is far superior as a player but as an Arsenal man it's Parlour all the way, it felt like he was one of us living the dream!
You could say that about a lot of players from our mid-90s team.

Winterburn, Keown, Parlour, Adams, Dixon, Seaman, Bould, Wright.

A few them are sometimes forgotten, but they were all Arsenal through and through.

Last edited:

To say Vieira did nothing wrong is way off beam old boy.

He's just not a legend in my eyes, all about opinion

Yeah I know, and I respect your opinion!

But like Cesc, Vieira did nothing wrong. Flirting with Real Madrid one of biggest club in the world, nothing wrong. In fact if you were best midfielder in the world the only logical think to do was flirting with best club in the world. Saying those things he said about Juventus, nothing wrong again. Juventus had better team than Arsenal at the time Vieira joined them.

And with all that, lets not pretend he was still fantastic players who gave 100% every time for us, and amazing captain!

em9999

My rainbows
Ain't denying he was a amazing captain and player for one minute but he's said stuff that rules him out of the Adams, bergkamp category, in my eyes

Arsenal Quotes

We lacked a little bit of sharpness

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom