• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

What makes an Arsenal player a club legend?

fabo

6.51 / 10
Shearer bottled the move to United, should have done a Sheringham and spent a few years there to get the big trophies a player like him deserved.

Much rather have a load of trophies to show for your career than have your name sung by a bunch of fat beer bellied tossers in Newcastle.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Vieira is a legend of the game and one of the best midfielders ever. But it will be impossible for me to call him an Arsenal legend when he currently sees himself as a Man City man and is willing to be the lapdog of the arabs.

Didnt Vieira move to US recently? I'm sure he was taking a managerial post for a US club. As for legend, definitely, he is one of the clear cut Arsenal legends, no discussion required! :)

Here you go, just dug this out. He saw the error of his judgement, and dumped City!

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/nov/09/patrick-vieira-appointed-new-york-city-fc-head-coach

gunnergoa

Their is obvious confusion here about wht constitutes as a legend. We obviously had great player with great skills but eff all attitude. Players like Vieira (obviously one of the best in premier league let alone Arsenal FC ) thought he was bigger then the club. Players like Parlour,Keown were never as good as some players that we had but aren't they legends??.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
This thread makes me laugh, we all have our own views and judgement on what defines an Arsenal Legend. tbh this thread is good to chew on until the window opens tomorrow! :)

gunnergoa

Shearer bottled the move to United, should have done a Sheringham and spent a few years there to get the big trophies a player like him deserved.

Much rather have a load of trophies to show for your career than have your name sung by a bunch of fat beer bellied tossers in Newcastle.

Thats what constitute as a legend. When we were kids we always dreamt of playing for our Fav teams (any sports). The fact that Shearer didn't get swerved by the trophies and money of Utd and went on to play for his child hood club makes him a legend in my eyes.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Vieira epitomised Arsenal for like 10 years. Everything went through him, and it was our most successful period. How could he be anything but a legend?

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
  • Winning big stuff with us.
  • Being great player.
  • Being here for a long time.
  • Being, and playing a part of a particularly special achievement for the club
These are most important for me. All four would be great, but it's not a necessity. Having the first two would go some way. FA cups don't really count, unless it was part of a double. We're Arsenal, not Portsmouth. You can just have the last bullet point, but it depends what you achieved. One league title doesn't really cut it. Being part of our first CL triumph absolutely would, because it would be our first. Vic Akers would be a ****ing legend if we did that!

There are also some special cases, but they're rare.

Arteta, for example, is as much a legend as John Jensen.

fabo

6.51 / 10
Thats what constitute as a legend. When we were kids we always dreamt of playing for our Fav teams (any sports). The fact that Shearer didn't get swerved by the trophies and money of Utd and went on to play for his child hood club makes him a legend in my eyes.

He's a Toon legend no doubt. I'm saying he bottled it though.

Great striker, deserved better.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Cesc might be a special case. He is, to this day ,our greatest creative midfielder to ever wear the shirt. Burst onto the scene as a child too, mugging off grown men every week. What we all saw there was a mix of the ridiculous, and special. His age and ability pushes him close.

RvP, no.

Gervais

Established Member
Some of names I've seen in this thread, man. If Tomas Rosicky is an Arsenal legend, then so am I.

Wenger, Seaman, Adams, Campbell, Vieira, Bergkamp, Wright and Henry are the only club 'legends' I can think of, from the modern era ('96 onwards).

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

He already won the league with Blackburn, the rest was a child hood dream.

Fair play to him, got the money, got the medal, got the childhood dream and has the legacy.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

And they beat us at Highbury in 2003 to give Utd the title under him IIRC, or was that Venables? First of two Arsenal games that I've ever cried after, other being the CL quarter final in 08. Brutal stuff.
Peter Reid i believe.

say yes

forum master baiter
Legends for me are basically cult heroes who were also undeniably world-class/the best players in a successful period of our history. They're leaders.

So Adams/Bergkamp/Vieira/Henry most recently.

Parlour, Wright, Pires, Lauren etc are cult heroes.

Cesc and RvP are snakes.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
The Romford Pele is getting mad love!

Ian Wright is a bonafide club legend. Not 'cult' ffs! He's the clubs 2nd highest top scorer and won titles with us. If the first point alone doesnt make him a legend, then I need to rethink my life. :lol:

Arsenal Quotes

One of the things I discovered in Japan was from watching sumo wrestling. At the end you can never tell who has won the fight, and who has lost, because they do not show their emotion because it could embarrass the loser. It is unbelievable. That is why I try to teach my team politeness. It is only here in England that everybody pokes their tongue out when they win.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom