• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Will Ramadhaan effect Toure ?

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
ok, lets chill with this topic for now... Toure played well, of course, its still quite early in the "month" for Ramadhan... lets re-visit this after another 2 weeks when he has been fasting (or not fasting) for a while.... his strength isnt going to be depleted in the first week.....

asajoseph

Established Member
Originally posted by asajoseph:
Quote:

Does the cross affect Edu or Reyes?

Huh? They're not vampires are they?

How much do you guys know about your team?

You're not all fair weather fans are you with an internet connection and nothing else to do?

Dude, chill out!

If you'd like me to rephrase my little joke, I will ask you exactly what you meant by what you originally said. Yes, I know Edu and Reyes aren't vampires, and yes I know they are catholic. I just didn't understand what you were getting at. Perhaps you'd like to take this opportunity to clarify?

Cheers!

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
Gooner Fish said:
asajoseph said:
Does the cross affect Edu or Reyes?

Huh? They're not vampires are they?

How much do you guys know about your team?

You're not all fair weather fans are you with an internet connection and nothing else to do?

do you have any idea what you're talking about?

its called a joke....

sure, their Spanish (or Brazilian).. they believe in JC, but they are not required to fast for a month at a time by the Catholic religion... slight difference...

Jinn

Established Member
Gooner Fish said:
Jinn said:
The topic isn't about religion, it's about Ramadhan.

Ramadhan = fasting.

Will Toure do this?

If so, will it affect his performance?

The fact that it is a religious festival is secondary.

It's a religious concept so it's religious - who are you? Fidel Castro? Adolf Hitler?

It's not a Religious Festival. Look up Festival in the dictionary.

Fasting is something you do as a muslim person and the fact it hasn't been an issue before raises it as - you've guessed it a religious choice. You'd understand this if you read Toure's Interview notes or even heard him speak regarding this - the fact you don't know highlights you don't.

It's not an issue until it's raised - that's the only point. So Toure takes a RELIGIOUS choice over a devotional concept in his religion.

The fact it doesn't affect Zidane, Anelka et al highlights how little of an issue it is and RELIGION is the major facet here because that is how they are approaching the subject on, on religious grounds.

Islam states, if you're working avoiding Fasting is not Haram then, it is Halal because you are doing it as part of your work and in the work of an athlete his diet is important. A Muslim can offer himself to his religion in many other ways. During the Mughal reign most of the armies didn't fast either as it was considered a Relgious (oh there's that word again) duty to observe your work, where work in islam is a major part of their life.

Hang on, I'm not having a go. I was just clarifying the issue.

I'm not trying to get into a religious discussion am I? I haven't mentioned anything of the sort. You're reading far too much into my 20 words of reply.

Your opinion is that it doesn't matter.

Fine.

What I meant by the fact that religion is of secondary importance is that we as fans don't care whether he is Muslim or not. What matters to us is that he plays well. Understandably, we're concerned with factors that influence this, such as injuries, confidence, fatigue, and even nutrition.

You're a little hotheaded for your 10th post on this forum.

Chill.

asajoseph

Established Member
True Gunner4life, but the holy month is only beginning, things may change as it wears on, and he wears down.

asajoseph

Established Member
Sorry, just out of interest, anyone know what other premiership players are doing this month? What about Cygan is he fasting?

I know Naybet is...

arsenal4life

asajoseph said:
Sorry, just out of interest, anyone know what other premiership players are doing this month? What about Cygan is he fasting?

I know Naybet is...

i did a search now and i think they are
Muslims and fast

Jaidi
El Karkouri
Safri
Anelka
Fadiga
Diouf
Bouba Diop
Djama Traore
Salif Diao
Aliou Cisse

Muslims and don't fast
Izzet
Tugay

think they are muslms
Drogba
Cisse

mood

Djbril Cisse is 100% muslim, so is Izzet and Tugay. I don't know about Drogba though, and I doubt Pascal is.

But the players you mentioned above like Anelka, Diouf, Traore and Diao are muslim, right.

Arnie

Anelka and Cygan are muslim?? anyway kolo should do what if he wants, if this was any other position on the pitch i don't think we would care as much because if he drops in form we would have a replacement. If Cygan is also muslim that would mean the only 100% centre backs we would have are sol and senderos!! Bit of a problem isn't it!!

asajoseph

Established Member
I'm pretty sure that I read in an official interview on the Arsenal site that Cygan is indeed a Moslem. I see no reason to doubt it, although I could be wrong.

orion

GoonerLuke said:
IIRC, I read an interview with Kolo where he said that he does not fast during Ramandhan because it would affect his performance too much on the field.

Ramadhaan is serious though .It is compulsory for a muslim man 2 fast in Ramadhaan ,if they are physically capable of doing the fast.[/quote]

I think even when one cannot take part in the fast, there are other ways in partipiciating in Ramandhan, like giving things away and helping out your fellow men in other ways.
In any case, I doubt you will find a more model professional than Kolo in the whole Arsenal squad.

towelie

i havent read the whole conversation so sorry if this has been said before, but the days are much shorter in england than what kolo is used to back home. so he's going to be fasting for a much shorter time everyday, and since he's been a footballer all his life and dealt with it every year since childhood, i think he should be fine handling it

asajoseph

Established Member
i havent read the whole conversation so sorry if this has been said before, but the days are much shorter in england than what kolo is used to back home. so he's going to be fasting for a much shorter time everyday, and since he's been a footballer all his life and dealt with it every year since childhood, i think he should be fine handling it

No, that hasn't been mentioned before, good point!

Aussie

Established Member
asajoseph said:
Many many muslim football players, in the top flight, too many to mention who are basically world beaters.

Apart from Naybet, Toure and Cygan, which players are there?

And last time i looked Cygan was no world beater :wink:

Arsenal Quotes

A player's true character is in how he plays and not in his social life. You can hide your real personality in your social life, You cannot on the field.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom