• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Will Reyes ever score?

gun4glory

I love him and his contribution to the game, im not putting him down in anyway, but he doesnt seem to score...like in the 2 spain games he gave torres 2 goals in the first game and despite spain winning 6-0 vs san marino he didnt score once... but i heard he played amazing... this proves he should play as a winger unfortuantely because i love hi as a striker....

Ricky_AFC

I'm confident the goals from him will come. But hes playing really well as astriker at the moment anyway so i don't think he should be changed.

shariefoo

Last season (or at least the start of last season) Reyes shined from the left wing... I beleive it fits him perfectly the left wing.. When he plays there he reminds me of Pires of the old.. Dynamic, Fast, good with the ball and a great passer.. (Unfortunatly now he is nothing more than a body on the pitch)..

I always said and will always say it, REYES BELONGS TO THE LEFT..

I just cant wait for Henry to come back. With him back Reyes is sure to be moved to the left, that might just be the wake up call for Pires..

Reyes is fast and his speed could break down defences. His passes are getting more and more accurate.. Just wait till he connects to Henry.

RockyRocastle

Established Member
I think now that the best position for Reyes to play is on the left. He has to play there now becasue we have no one else, Pires legs have gone.

WBA took us apart down our left yesterday, Clichy didnt have the best of games, but was given no help from bobby at all. Reyes at least offers us some protection down the left and is willing to track back and get stuck in.

Also he simply does not look like he is ever going to score. He was our main strike threat yesterday, and he simply was no threat at all. So many of our moves broke down with him in the middle by giving the ball away.

Henry's absense has shown up just how much we do rely on him.

We created so many chances yesterday, but we have no cutting edge at all. What do we have to lose now by throwing Lupoli in? That Rossi scored for the mancs yesterday, and having a young, alert lad up front who can finish is what we need.

MK5

I get that feeling too and although he scored a lot of goals in Aug & Sep last season the truth is that he's finishing’s been awful for a year now. He's still young and hopefully he'll learn as he gets older but having a player upfront who need 5 chances to score ain't good enough, Especially if he's playing upfront with Bergkamp who scores every 10th game or so nowadays.

KingReyes

Established Member
Reyes will never be a scorer like Henry. His best position is either on the wing or just behind the striker similar to the Bergkamp role. He's definately got the passing and ball control for those two positions.

We created so many chances yesterday, but we have no cutting edge at all. What do we have to lose now by throwing Lupoli in? That Rossi scored for the mancs yesterday, and having a young, alert lad up front who can finish is what we need.

Why wasn't Lupoli on the bench yesteray? Would have been a prefect chance to play him, is he injured or did Wenger prefer not to play him.

awooga83

Established Member
Why wasn't Lupoli on the bench yesteray? Would have been a prefect chance to play him, is he injured or did Wenger prefer not to play him.
I thought someone said earlier he was on international duty but not sure though.

Reyes doesn't look like he can be a striker because his finishing is quite poor at times. He does pull off a wonder strike every now and then but he's not clinical enough in front of goal particularly in one on one situations.

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
Reyes as a second striker, IMO, fine. Reyes as a centre forward- Not doing it, unfortunately.

But as Rocky says, maybe he is needed on the left more. That won't happen this week though, I wouldn't imagine.

kel varnsen

Established Member
RocktheCasbah said:
Reyes as a second striker, IMO, fine. Reyes as a centre forward- Not doing it, unfortunately.

But as Rocky says, maybe he is needed on the left more. That won't happen this week though, I wouldn't imagine.

right now, i'd prefer bergkamp and van persie up front with reyes on the left. pires needs to be dropped. bergkamp has been disappointing so far, but pires has been far, far worse!

patrick42uk

Established Member
calling him a winger is a poor excuse for the chances he misses. i think accepting that reyes cannot put his chances away is accepting he will never be a top class player, no matter the position he plays.

sabret00the

Established Member
patrick42uk said:
calling him a winger is a poor excuse for the chances he misses. i think accepting that reyes cannot put his chances away is accepting he will never be a top class player, no matter the position he plays.
kel's assured us that their is better to come, maybe the great finisher is out there somewhere?

all in all i think he belongs on the wing, i'm not a fan of the shadow striker system.

thegame24

Established Member
Reyes was always a winger

His best position i reckon is a LWF cause he cant cut it out defensivley and hes beter further up the pitch.

sabret00the

Established Member
thegame24 said:
Reyes was always a winger

His best position i reckon is a LWF cause he cant cut it out defensivley and hes beter further up the pitch.
i don't think anyone thought should he should be a defender, as for always a winger, i'm sure his Seville team mates would disagree.

i have yet to be impressed by him to the point i would call him world class.

id pay £7m for him if i had to, sevilla done well out of the deal.

Exiled In Newcastle

Established Member
No goals doesn't always equate to poor finishing. I actually think Reyes' finishing is first class, and I'll tell you why.

One paper I saw on the way down Reyes was listed as having the most shots on target in the division (15 from memory). And (again from memory) most of those shots have been from outside the box, past defenders, and aimed to the corners. He had at least two shots on target yesterday that were saved near the corner.

Simply put, he's puting the ball into the right area consistantly (how many shots of his can you remember that were skied?) and as scoring is a % game you've got to class him as unlucky NOT to have got a couple. Especially bearing in mind that he's not getting the 'typical Arsenal chances' - ie a clear view from 8 yards.

As for what RockyRocastle says about Pires legs going, sadly I think that's true. Unless he's carrying an injury we don't know about...

Exiled In Newcastle

Established Member
Also - it should be mentioned that from where I was sitting he should have been awarded a nailed on penalty.

As MotD didn't show it (and we know they wouldn't miss an oportunity to brand an Arsenal player a diver) I've got to assume that it was as solid as it looked first off.

ccc

ExiledInNewcastle said:
No goals doesn't always equate to poor finishing. I actually think Reyes' finishing is first class, and I'll tell you why.

One paper I saw on the way down Reyes was listed as having the most shots on target in the division (15 from memory). And (again from memory) most of those shots have been from outside the box, past defenders, and aimed to the corners. He had at least two shots on target yesterday that were saved near the corner.

Simply put, he's puting the ball into the right area consistantly (how many shots of his can you remember that were skied?) and as scoring is a % game you've got to class him as unlucky NOT to have got a couple. Especially bearing in mind that he's not getting the 'typical Arsenal chances' - ie a clear view from 8 yards.

As for what RockyRocastle says about Pires legs going, sadly I think that's true. Unless he's carrying an injury we don't know about...

SOG is not all about finishing ability. you may have only one SOG of 4 or 5 shots, but net with the only one SOG. on the contrary, you may also have all shots on goal but score nothing. and if you are lucky enough, you may even score with a shot off target (thingking of the rvp "goal" in birminghan game). as to finishing, angle, power and trick are more important. reyes' skill is ok, but he should use his brain more when shooting.

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
The BBC excelled themselves yesterday, not only did their reporter at the Bridge mention the cheer that went round the ground when they heard Arsenal were losing, but when their reporter at the Hawthorns was doing his full time report, they cut to Lee Dixon looking absolutely gutted. It felt slightly gratuitous.

Arsenal Quotes

I'm obsessed by the idea of making my mark on history. And Arsenal is my paradise.

Thierry Henry
Top Bottom