• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Will Reyes ever score?

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
arsenaal fan said:
I still can't believe some people still defend Reyes. It's been long enough for him to settle in yet he's not done anything close to what was expected of him or atleast for what we paid for him.
Defoe would have been a much much better signing and for a much better price! Same with C.Ronaldo, same with Robben.

What, Jermain "three goals this season" Defoe?

Ronaldo we couldn't afford, as for Robben, he didn't want to go anywhere but Chelsea or United. You can't sign players who don't want to come to your club, maybe you needed that explaining?

RammiXP

I have said it before and will say it again, Reyes is a Left Midfielder and Not a Striker. His performances for Spain proved this.
The guy is superb at reading the game and getting players into good positions but he will never be an out and out goal scoring machine like Henry.

So could people please stop thinking of him in this way as its doing my head in HE IS A MIDFIELDER and as we all know Arsène likes to play people out of position in times of injuries rather than play players in there correct position.

Rammi

P.S I know some people will disagree with me but from everything i have seen Reyes is simply an Attacking Midfielder nothing more.

Army of Me

Established Member
we're never going to agree about reyes it seems. he could score 30 goals this season and folk will still find something to complain about. fact is reyes has been our best performer so far and to write him off after seeing what i've seen is rediculous, when the goals come they will come.

quit being such a depressing bunch of gits - and yes, i'm well aware i moaned like a ***** after the WBA match, but thats in the past, lets move on.

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
Well, yeah I have to say that his finishing hasn't been great, but I still feel his basic skill set is far more suited to playing centrally than being restricted to the wing. Unfortunately, with Pires playing the way he is, Reyes is going to end up back there rather soon IMO.

Army of Me

Established Member
agreed, as soon as Henry and RvP are both available, they'll be up front, Reyes on left wing, the way it should be :D

bluey

I think Reyes is played out of position. As a left footer is much easier for him to score from the right than the left. The problem is that the team is geared up and built around one player - TH14 and the teams plays to his strengths. I would like to see Reyes on the right wing and then we will see how many goals he scores.

Pepe LeFrits

Established Member
arsenaal fan said:
I still can't believe some people still defend Reyes. It's been long enough for him to settle in yet he's not done anything close to what was expected of him or atleast for what we paid for him.
Defoe would have been a much much better signing and for a much better price! Same with C.Ronaldo, same with Robben.
lol!

Faraway hills are greener I suppose. Ronaldo has been poor this season as has Robben, while Reyes has been Arsenal's best player (what are the stats now, 1 goal 7 assists in 7 games?).

arsenaal fan

RocktheCasbah said:
arsenaal fan said:

What, Jermain "three goals this season" Defoe?

Ronaldo we couldn't afford, as for Robben, he didn't want to go anywhere but Chelsea or United. You can't sign players who don't want to come to your club, maybe you needed that explaining?

Look at the progress Defoe has made. Even last season, consistently was scoring and was brilliant for Tottenham. Imagine what he could do with even better service!
We couldn't afford Ronaldo? how much did we pay for Reyes, how much did United pay for Ronaldo? Please don't give me the reasoning that United paid what they did just due to their relationship with Sporting, not having any of that.

kamikaze80

Established Member
ive been saying this for a while now, but right now, reyes is a midfielder. personally, i think he can be a left-footed pires (ie goal-scoring and goal-creating attacking MF) which means he should play on the right so that he can cut in onto his preferred foot. of course, if he learns to be more clinical and composed, he has the tools to be a top striker.

fyi, for those of you comparing reyes to henry at the same age, this season is reyes' age 22 season. henry's age 22 season was his first for arsenal, and despite initial struggles, henry scored 26 goals in all competitions, including 17 in the premiership. i doubt reyes will be as prolific this season, although he will doubtless contribute many assists.

kamikaze80

Established Member
id rather have reyes than cristiano ronaldo and defoe is tiny, selfish and not a great passer. if youre going to slate reyes, at least name some players that are actually better than him :roll:

Tegh

Established Member
Oh Kha0z, I hope you're referring to me..

I hope to high Heaven there's no borderline suicidal Arsenal fans on this forum, some of the trash you guys come out with is unbelievable.

''Oh, it's the end of the world, we're falling apart, kill Wenger!''

Grow up, anyone can see things haven't gone our way so far with injuries etc, and yes, i'm making an excuse, but it's a fact. Any team having lost the players and characters down to injury we have would be suffering the same way.

You're all moaning about Reyes not scoring, well, let's take him out of the side then. Then we can go on a huge goal scoring drought, because the guy who has been providing all the assists was dropped from the side just to please a bunch of whining little school girls on an Arsenal forum.

What's that phrase I'm looking for?

Oh yeah, ''You only sing when you're winning.''

If you have such a problem with it, then get out and support another time.

qs

Established Member
Im far less impressed by RVP, I think Reyes has shown he's up to the job. Robin however hasnt shwon me that yet.

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
arsenaal fan said:
Look at the progress Defoe has made. Even last season, consistently was scoring and was brilliant for Tottenham. Imagine what he could do with even better service!
We couldn't afford Ronaldo? how much did we pay for Reyes, how much did United pay for Ronaldo? Please don't give me the reasoning that United paid what they did just due to their relationship with Sporting, not having any of that.

Three goals this season, three. Reyes has one and seven assists. Defoe has three assists.

Right, recap- the year is 2003, we are skint, Arsène Wenger spends £1m on a german keeper to replace Ol Spunky. And Gael Clichy for a slab of roast beef or something.

Meanwhile Manchester United spend £13m on a certain C Ronaldo.

Fast forward to January 2004 and the securing of finances to construct the Grove, we now have a little money to spend. On the right player. Jose Reyes is deemed to be that man and so we landed him from Sevilla.

To sum up then, we didn't have the money in 2003 for Ronaldo, but did in 2004 for Reyes. Okay?

For the record, I would much rather have Reyes, I thought so last season, I'm even more convinced now. Bury your head in the sand if it makes you feel better, Reyes has been the best of the bunch for the last two months.

qs

Established Member
I agree completely, Reyes is having a good speel at the moment. Definitly playing better than Cronaldo and Defoe.

arsenaal fan

Here's the problem. All we're doing is considering this season's few games. Tell me at the end of a full season who is the better player! Reyes is just not consistent enough. Well, Reyes might have the ability, but definately not for the amount that we spent on him!!
I still stand by my opinion of having C.Ronaldo or Defoe ahead of Reyes. Compare the three players over the course of a season....

A

Anonymous

Tegh said:
Oh Kha0z, I hope you're referring to me..

I hope to high Heaven there's no borderline suicidal Arsenal fans on this forum, some of the trash you guys come out with is unbelievable.

''Oh, it's the end of the world, we're falling apart, kill Wenger!''

Grow up, anyone can see things haven't gone our way so far with injuries etc, and yes, i'm making an excuse, but it's a fact. Any team having lost the players and characters down to injury we have would be suffering the same way.

You're all moaning about Reyes not scoring, well, let's take him out of the side then. Then we can go on a huge goal scoring drought, because the guy who has been providing all the assists was dropped from the side just to please a bunch of whining little school girls on an Arsenal forum.

What's that phrase I'm looking for?

Oh yeah, ''You only sing when you're winning.''

If you have such a problem with it, then get out and support another time.

Actually I didn't remember who, which is why I didn't name anyone.. if your volenteering to be an idiot, then so be it. I thought you had given up on the forum battles.

By the by.. injuries doesn't mean that the other players who are fit and playing out there, shall not stand up and be counted.. because they are being paid to show some passion and grit and forfil their football duties. Reyes has talent they say, I won't disagree.
But i'll tell you this, many players without half of his so called talent would have put the ball in the back of the net more then once thus far, with the chances Reyes has had.

asajoseph

Established Member
'Many players without half of his so called talent' would have got absolutely nowhere near most of Reyes chances, or created nearly as much for themselves...

A

Anonymous

If you say so, what's the point of creating said chances.. and not converting them, it makes a mockery of creating them in the first place.

Talent without end product is useless.

Arsenal Quotes

Football is a bit like elections. Before it's unpredictable. After it's unexplainable... But there's an opportunity for us to make it unforgettable.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom